Have I been a lucky boy?

Need advice on which oil to use or which tyre best suits you? Share your topic and get help here.
Furrybiker

Have I been a lucky boy?

Post by Furrybiker »

Well having sorted the speedo sensor a few weeks ago I was feeling happy and at one with my bike. :sick:

Coming back from the RTTW yesterday I noticed that the speedo and rev counter started doing odd things, speedo flickering on and off and the rev counter dying and coming back almost to what I think were the right revs. The headlamp later started to flicker and the words of wisdom from this site passed through my head "Regulator Rectifier" (Yes its an unfinned type!).

Well it got me home but after I turned it off it wouldn't re-start. This morning I pulled the R/R no smell of burnt electrics and everything looking as it should. Plugged the battery on to an oximiser and that showed all the lights at once as soon as I connected it.

I assume this means a new battery? Mr Silvers is already sending me a new R/R, the finned type! Will order manual CCTs today, I think have pushed my luck far enough.

Question is do I just plug in the new R/R and battery, or is there anything else to check beforehand?
Leachy

Re: Have I been a lucky boy?

Post by Leachy »

Clocks, Revs and Dashboard flicker and imtermittant deaths are definatly down to battery, had all same syptoms myself before i changed the battery, i've even had the bike cut out while getting home,fortunatly i was close to a friends house and after an hour's recharge was able to fire her back up and get home,likewise i change the r/r as a matter of course, but i did change to a new type of battery, MOTTOBATT MTX12U, bright yellow, 4 terminal, all has been well :thumbup:

As for the replacement R/R, I have been on David Silvers site myself and checked their R/R (finned type) is just a plug-in replacement :clap:
Absolutely Sodding Bloody typical!!!