Hi from Rod from Guildford

New here? Come in and introduce yourself
Rod66

Post by Rod66 »

Hi my name is Rod and I live near Guildford in Surrey, I'am looking forward to picking up my VTR on Thursday next week, I have not had a bike for 2 and a half years, my last bike was a new TDM 900 but I only had it for 6 months because I never liked it but before that I had a VFR 800 and loved it so I'm hoping to like the VTR as much. I have enjoyed reading some of the posts on here an think it's a good forum so well done to every one involved
Regards
Rod
lloydie

Post by lloydie »

Hello and welcome
Have you ridden a vtr before ?

Can't ride but it don't stop me trying
Rod66

Re: Hi from Rod from Guildford

Post by Rod66 »

No never a VTR my first bike was CBR 600, then the VFR 800, then the TDM 900 so looking forward to the VTR 1000
lloydie

Post by lloydie »

your in for a nice surprise
read up on ccts and r/r
tattoo

Post by tattoo »

hello and welcome Rod

your in for a real treat when you first ride the vtr..forget how the cbr and vfr felt and take your time to get use to the low down grunt and the engine breaking of the v-twin...change the cct's for manuals or do the stopper mod which can be found in the knowledge section asap...above all...enjoy riding it m8
agentpineapple

Post by agentpineapple »

hi rod and wecome aboard buddy.
you have a very similar biking history to me, my first big bike was a cbr600, then i bought a new vfr800, before having a ten year break in biking. the vtr is a different animal to the other 2, but still alot of fun and with honda build quality. i will be in your neck of the woods in a couple of weekends time. i'm going down to surrey to visit friends.
if you have any questions ask away fella, you have to build up 10 posts to be able to access the sales and wants section, there are some good bargains to be had, but the best thing about the forum is the friendly banter, and the workshop section is probably the most useful part of the forum.
enjoy your firestorm ownership buddy.......... :thumbup:
HEY YOU GUYS!!!!!!
lloydie

Post by lloydie »

put some pics up when you pick it up as long as its not yellow or red :sick:
tattoo

Post by tattoo »

or black or blue :D :D :D
Rod66

Post by Rod66 »

Hi I'am Buying it from a bloke who had it advertised and this is some of what he said about it..

"Unfortunately for me one of the cam chain tensioners collapsed on me a few weeks after i bought it :-( fortunately for the new buyer though the bike has just had two new exhaust valves.. new head gasket, new tensioners front and back... new iridium plugs.. new oil and filter... a Brand new battery and newer style regulator with cooling fins.. (battery seemed a tad lazy so i changed it to be sure!) All with receipts to prove! All the work was carried out by the best honda technician in the area who done this as a job on the side from his usual 8am-5pm in the local honda bike shop... He also decided to spend a good few hours cleaning the carbs.. Setting the floats and position sensors and balancing the carbs... It now runs beautifully... And will run like a watch for many years to come!......"

Does this sound like its been done or does it need anything else looking at, Not sure what r/r are?
Regards
Rod
lloydie

Post by lloydie »

Setting the floats and position sensors and balancing the carbs... It now runs beautifully... And will run like a watch for many years to come
you cant set the floats on the storm :eek2
even though the cct have been replaced i would still put manuals in asap
i
turbo_billy

Post by turbo_billy »

Hi Rod and welcome,

The r/r is the regulator/rectifier which has been changed on yours. The originals were flat and overheated causing charging issues.

Hope you enjoy the storm.

Tim
agentpineapple

Post by agentpineapple »

it all comes down to trust, he could well be telling the truth and once the cct's are done the bike will be fine but as other members have and will say, fit the bike with manual tensioners because you just can't trust the original ones.
what mileage has the bike done and what is it's general condition like. check the bottom of the forks or the front of the engine which has to deal with all the crap on the road. does it tally up with the mileage?
and importantly what colour is your bike.....lol
HEY YOU GUYS!!!!!!
simo

Post by simo »

Welcome Rod. Do'nt forget we want to know all about the bike when you've had a ride. :biggrin
Theres A Hare in The Turnips.
YETI

Post by YETI »

hi rod
and a big surrey welcome from me :D ( Dunsfold )
great move joining in on here , some very wise heads on board

regards
YETI..

and dont listen to them about the fastest colour .. its red .... or blue :plainsmile
and marty if your down this way give me a shout :beer:
agentpineapple

Post by agentpineapple »

YETI wrote:hi rod
and a big surrey welcome from me :D ( Dunsfold )
great move joining in on here , some very wise heads on board

regards
YETI..

and dont listen to them about the fastest colour .. its red .... or blue :plainsmile
and marty if your down this way give me a shout :beer:
deffo blue is the best, i'll let you know yeti my man........ :thumbup:
HEY YOU GUYS!!!!!!