Starter Motor Removal Difficult

Need advice on which oil to use or which tyre best suits you? Share your topic and get help here.
brownie

Starter Motor Removal Difficult

Post by brownie »

I'm trying to remove the starter motor and finding it very difficult. Using plenty of penetrating oil, a bar on the casing where it goes into the engine and a large hammer. I just can't get the thing to shift and before anyone asks, yes I have undone the bolts. :wink:

Short taking it to a mechanic, anyone have any tips and are they normally this hard to remove?

Many thanks in advance.

:)
RAINMAKER

Post by RAINMAKER »

have you undone all the bolts ?

sorry just had to say it..........mine came out with a bit of a wriggle. sort of side to side.
Not sure if this is any help.
it may be clever, but its not big.
Pete.L
Forum Health And Safety Officer

Post by Pete.L »

Hi Brownie,
mine was totally caked in sh1t down the back, from a few years of burnt on road kill I imagine.
You should only need to remove the two forward facing bolts and the HT lead. Then try wiggling the end you removed the bolts up and down and pull to the lefthand side as you look at the bike from the front. it needs to move about an inch before you can free it from the bike. It may have pinched the seal and is being a bit stubburn. Easier to do with two people,at least one can wiggle it up and down whilst the other one does the prising/bashing.

Good luck

Pete,l
brownie

Post by brownie »

Thanks all, finally got it removed.

Put a bar against the starter motor housing on the right hand side (from the front) and gave it a couple of almighty wacks with a large brick. :) The "O" ring was in a right state and there was a load of crap in there. Cleaned up the housing and the replacement starter motor went in a treat, and is easy to remove.

Got a little tip from a great mechanic on VD (fastfitter), "Vaseline as da man says. We use it a lot at work on plante batteries and we melt it in a teapot and then pour it over the (clean) connections so it gets in all the nooks and crannies and then sets. I'd warm some up on a spoon and drip it over the bolt before you put the rubber boot back on. Looks like it's one of those 'six monthly' jobs"
Pete.L

Post by Pete.L »

Oh Yes :D
:lol: I like vaseline :lol:
I use it all the time and I have some nice cherry red axle grease from Silcolene for when I'm working on the bike :lol: :lol:

Pete.l
No more rusty nuts for me :wink:
RAINMAKER

Post by RAINMAKER »

you serious about the cherry red axle grease........????
it may be clever, but its not big.
Pete.L

Post by Pete.L »

8O of course 8O

It's about a fiver for a tub

Pete.l
StormyRob

Re:

Post by StormyRob »

brownie wrote:Thanks all, finally got it removed.

Put a bar against the starter motor housing on the right hand side (from the front) and gave it a couple of almighty wacks with a large brick. :) The "O" ring was in a right state and there was a load of crap in there. Cleaned up the housing and the replacement starter motor went in a treat, and is easy to remove.

Got a little tip from a great mechanic on VD (fastfitter), "Vaseline as da man says. We use it a lot at work on plante batteries and we melt it in a teapot and then pour it over the (clean) connections so it gets in all the nooks and crannies and then sets. I'd warm some up on a spoon and drip it over the bolt before you put the rubber boot back on. Looks like it's one of those 'six monthly' jobs"

11...nearly 12 years later I am having the same problem.

I gave it a couple of moderate smacks. It's 0117am so can't hit any harder due to neighbours. Hoping this is sorted in the morning with this old wisdom!
If you don't try you never know if you can do it.
tony.mon

Re: Starter Motor Removal Difficult

Post by tony.mon »

Hope you get it sorted.
Interesting read the valeting idea, but if it melts and runs then resets, surely engine heat will just make it run out again.....
High melting point grease might be a better option, I would have thought.
I know it's an old thread, but just in case someone copies the info.
It's not falling off, it's an upgrade opportunity.