Leather dilema

General Bike chat
Stormin Ben

Post by Stormin Ben »

Ha ha ha
Isn't the newbie silly :P

Only kidding mate, serious answers to follow
1) Almost certainly YES.
Leather (or Kevlar) is the best thing to be wearing if you end up on your butt sliding down the road. Jeans are just about passable round town (I should know, I've been on the deck 4 times in my younger years and got the holey jeans to prove it) At no more than 20 mph they at least offer you more protection than the burbury shell suits the local spotty yoofs wear on their sh1t box scotters.
If you're mainly commuting then the textile jackets & trousers can be nearly as good, with kevlar & body armour on the impact areas with the benefit of being waterproof/warm and cool as required

2) Under leathers? No. Just my lucky biker pants and a polo neck
Under cordura etc stuff? Depends. It is designed so that you can have your work suit on underneath and just strip off like superman when you get to work (no phone box required :wink: ) but equally you can wear pretty much anything you want under it (but stear clear of womens underwear coz it rides up and would be VERY embarrasing if you have to go to casualty following an off 8) )

Hope this helps

Ben
cupasoop
Site Admin

Post by cupasoop »

Stormin Ben wrote: (but stear clear of womens underwear coz it rides up and would be VERY embarrasing if you have to go to casualty following an off 8) )

Hope this helps

Ben
Are you speaking from experience?
Rich.

Iwantafirestorm

Post by Iwantafirestorm »

Stormin Ben wrote:Ha ha ha
Isn't the newbie silly :P
I was feeling bad all day saturday, then when I read this on Sunday morning I laughed out load - cheers Stormin Ben :lol:

I already have a textile jacket + trousers (with armour), but me thinks I'll get some leather when I've saved up a bit

Cheers all.

PS: Kaz. How come your fairing's off - Didn't have an accident did you?
Iwantafirestorm

What bad luck eh? (I won't go out if it's windy)

You'll have to treat her with kid-gloves when it comes back and it's all back together.

Or instead of waiting, you could ride it street-fighter style with no fairing :twisted:

Rich
Iwantafirestorm

Going completely off the subject here, how do you find the riding position? I ask because it's the only reservation I have about having a Storm. Does it give you wrist-ache if your tootling around? (I'm a tootler :lol: - not a manic one)

8)

I'll check back later as the weather's looking OK at the mo so I'm off for a tootle on my GS :oops:
Iwantafirestorm

Ahhhhhhh!!!! I'm back :D Don't believe anything you here about the GS500 - it's a top bike! 8)

1) Torquey (inline 600s are not as torquey at lower revs as a GS! - tried one 'tuther day)
2) Smooth (has balancer shaft)
3) Handles well (good frame)
4) Nice sound (fairly low)
5) Doesn't look too bad (well the newer model anyway)

The most underrated bike ever! (and probably the best value at an amazing £3000 new)
VTR1000KAZ wrote:It did (rain) on Pete tho......told him it would!!!!! pml !!!!! hehehehe
There's some voodoo magic kinda s**t going on here! :twisted:
Stormin Ben

Post by Stormin Ben »

No problem mate, glad to be of service!!

WRT getting leathered up, if your trousers are decent, you could just buy a jacket and get a zip put in to match the trousers, costs pennies. Or if you're a tight wad like me you can actually do it yourself

Ben
davey_n

Post by davey_n »

Best clothing buy of the year - Hein Gericke black cordura jeans (About £58, + £15 for knee armour)
Not been tested in a crash (touch wood) but feel more confident than ordinary jeans due to armour, also waterproof and casual enough to get away with wearing them off the bike and no-one knows they are bike clothes. I also own a set of leathers, worn for track days, faster rides with good weather, but jeans are good for riding to work etc.

As for riding position, newer bikes have higher bars - almost as comfy as a VFR, slightly more 'on it' but all day comfortable if you relax across the shoulders.
Iwantafirestorm

davey_n wrote: As for riding position, newer bikes have higher bars - almost as comfy as a VFR, slightly more 'on it' but all day comfortable if you relax across the shoulders.
Almost as comfy as a VFR? That sounds good as I do think they are a nice bike with a great riding position (but too much for me + expensive servicing - probably couldn't do it myself)