New VTR & to the forum

New here? Come in and introduce yourself
Burner

New VTR & to the forum

Post by Burner »

Recently purchased a 2003 Fire Storm and loving it. Have been riding for a long time, but havent had a bike since my 84 VF750F, 10 years ago.
Been riding mates Ducati's & KTM's, but decided to go back to Honda, but this time get a twin - no regrets.
Also decided to join this forum - also a first for me.
Live & work in Adelaide, South Australia - Australia, and curently enjoying the great weather with a ride through our hills and along the coast on week ends.
lloydie

New VTR & to the forum

Post by lloydie »

Good day mate and welcome from up above :)

Can't ride but it don't stop me trying
Kev L

Re: New VTR & to the forum

Post by Kev L »

Welcome into the fold mate. Good to see another beautiful blue storm on the forum, you show impeccable taste (and I am completely unbiased!).
Glad you are getting some good riding in glorious weather. Not jealous at all. Well not much.
Enjoy the Storm and ride safe. :thumbup:
Carpe diem, quam minimum credula postero
F3, 954 USD front, K Tech springs, Braced swinger, Penske shock, Six spoke Mockesini wheels, Harris rearsets, QaT, Flywheel diet!, A&L stacks, stick coils, K&N, FP Ti jets, lashings of Ti & CF
AMCQ46

Post by AMCQ46 »

Welcome to the club and getting back to owning a bike............ :thumbup:

I assume you are aware that now it is in your garage, it is going to become a project and there are far too many great things you can do with this bike that dont cost too much and make big differences.......and worse still now you are in the forum you will have acess to more ideas than your wallet can cope with :D

clearly the first mod that will have the best effect on speed, power and handeling will be to get it resprayed......any colour but Blue :lol:

sorry about that, but we have a problem with KevL and his yellow envy issues :wave:
AMcQ
Flatline

Post by Flatline »

Welcome to the group m8
Kev L

Post by Kev L »

AMCQ46 wrote:Welcome to the club and getting back to owning a bike............ :thumbup:

I assume you are aware that now it is in your garage, it is going to become a project and there are far too many great things you can do with this bike that dont cost too much and make big differences.......and worse still now you are in the forum you will have acess to more ideas than your wallet can cope with :D

clearly the first mod that will have the best effect on speed, power and handeling will be to get it resprayed......any colour but Blue :lol:

sorry about that, but we have a problem with KevL and his yellow envy issues :wave:
Burner, you will have to watch out for some poor unfortunate souls who occasionally gain access to the forum. Their mental capabilities have deteriorated to such an extent that they are willing to go on record as believing that Yellow is an acceptable colour for things other than custard.
Take Al for example, his carers let him use the computer, or as he knows it "da box wiv pictures and words" (ahh bless him), but they can't always monitor what the little tinker gets up to.
If you can spare a few pennies we can help these poor misguided fools and bring some much needed Blueness into their miserable existence.
:wave:
Carpe diem, quam minimum credula postero
F3, 954 USD front, K Tech springs, Braced swinger, Penske shock, Six spoke Mockesini wheels, Harris rearsets, QaT, Flywheel diet!, A&L stacks, stick coils, K&N, FP Ti jets, lashings of Ti & CF
simo

Post by simo »

Welcome to the Forum Burner. Good choise of bike,glad you're enjoying it.
Theres A Hare in The Turnips.
T8ull

Post by T8ull »

Need the vtr forum decals for the screen then.... Call it a tattoo for the screen.
Should have got the yellow one though. Blue rhymes with...... :lol:
.........So far, so good, so what!
agentpineapple

Post by agentpineapple »

for the forum stickers get in touch with steve at bumble signs, he's in the sales and wants section, he's very cheap and provides an excellent service, even with postage to oz they will still be good value mate.
and as an owner of a soon to be blue firestorm, don't get drawn into the bickering about colour, just remember yellow is the colour of cowardice and custard and thats all i have to say about that........... :lol:
oh and welcome to the forum buddy...... :thumbup:
HEY YOU GUYS!!!!!!
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

Welcome aboard from down under Burner :thumbup:

AMcQ and KevL, you two crack me up :lol: :lol:

Chris.
Burner

Post by Burner »

Thanks for the welcome guys - and yes very happy with the "deeply exotic metallic Lapis blue that shimmers like an evening sky to temp one with a beckoning call to ride, and ride" according to one review?
One question you guys might be able to help with is confirmed spec's on the bike.
I have done some research, and in 2001 the VTR went through an upgrade including the carbies, "significant modifications made to such points as its carburettor and ignition settings in the interests of smoother, more responsive performance" - but have I not been able to confirm the actual torque of the 01 (or 03) model . One review has it as 93Nm and a number of others have 97Nm - I wondered if this was the difference between the 2 models?
The only modification it has had is Staintune pipes - I have the orginal pipes, and the new ones look to be a lot lighter? But I wondered if this would have any real effect on improved power or torque?
Any ideas appreciated.
azvtr1000rider

New VTR & to the forum

Post by azvtr1000rider »

Welcome to the club!!
agentpineapple

Post by agentpineapple »

Burner wrote:Thanks for the welcome guys - and yes very happy with the "deeply exotic metallic Lapis blue that shimmers like an evening sky to temp one with a beckoning call to ride, and ride" according to one review?
One question you guys might be able to help with is confirmed spec's on the bike.
I have done some research, and in 2001 the VTR went through an upgrade including the carbies, "significant modifications made to such points as its carburettor and ignition settings in the interests of smoother, more responsive performance" - but have I not been able to confirm the actual torque of the 01 (or 03) model . One review has it as 93Nm and a number of others have 97Nm - I wondered if this was the difference between the 2 models?
The only modification it has had is Staintune pipes - I have the orginal pipes, and the new ones look to be a lot lighter? But I wondered if this would have any real effect on improved power or torque?
Any ideas appreciated.
hi burner, weight loss on a bike is always a good thing to start with, your new pipes should make a difference but to make full use of them you should add a new air filter k&n or bmc and then fit a stage 1 dynojet or factory pro kit to the carbs add to that a little bit of dyno time for set up and you will notice a big difference buddy, and your bike will sound so much better aswell.......having said that depending on how extreme your pipes are you will notice a little bit of difference by just using them on there own, the more extreme (race)the pipes the more important the full set up is.....this is just my opinion :thumbup:
HEY YOU GUYS!!!!!!
karenvtr

Post by karenvtr »

Hello :)
tony.mon

Post by tony.mon »

For acceleration, weight loss is the same as boosting hp and torque.
For flat-out top speed, it doesn't make a lot of difference- which is why Blackbirds, Hayabusa's etc are big and heavy.

But for handling, flickability, weight loss also gives a real boost, so on balance I'd go for weight loss over tuning the engine most times.

However, the more you do the harder it gets, so for instance lighter carbon cans (or titanium) is fairly cheap for the Kg's lost, but things like a LiFePo battery will cost you quite a bit.
Front mudguard swap for a carbon one helps, as does any other replacement carbon part, an engine bolt kit or whole bike kit from Pro-Bolt saves a bit more, but after that it gets expensive- titanium spindles, lightweight rearsets, clip-ons, etc.
You can fit racing reservoirs, which have lower capacity, but weigh less, but it just gets harder and harder after that.
Possibilities include a racing fairing, Power One tyres, and if you're loaded, BST carbon wheels.

A full system in Inconel or Titanium also helps.

Frankly, with that lot done you will wipe the floor with a standard Storm, but you can also tune the engine.....

The world is your oyster, depending on how deep your pockets are.

On the other hand, you could just buy an SP1 or 2!
It's not falling off, it's an upgrade opportunity.