CCT Advice

General Bike chat
Fletch89

CCT Advice

Post by Fletch89 »

Hi Guys,

Need to replace me CCT's, starting to get a slight rattle. Does everyone recommend using the Honda OEM's or the Krieger manual ones?

Thanks. :D
agentpineapple

Re: CCT Advice

Post by agentpineapple »

never use honda oem cct's. get in touch with a forum member called bazza he makes them, or buy krieger or ape ones off of ebay, but bazza is the cheapest and i'm told they are very good quality.
search thru the workshop knowledge base for more info, theres even something called a stopper mod you can do which costs nothing, if your handy with the spanners that is.
i hope this helps buddy :thumbup:
HEY YOU GUYS!!!!!!
AMCQ46

Post by AMCQ46 »

New OEMs should only be used if you put the stopper in.......you wont know whenthey might fail. additionally there is no point in going to all the effort of stripping the airbox off and removing the rear cam cover, and not doing the little extra required to size the stopper and fit it.

All instructions in the knowledeg base section
AMcQ
vtwin goody

Post by vtwin goody »

i may be totally wrong here but from what i,ve been told the latest honda ones are fine,please all correct me if i,m wrong as mine need changing in the new year :confused
Wicky

Post by Wicky »

As Honda have never acknowledged there is even a problem that needs fixing with their CCTs past, present or future, for your own peace of mind best fit manuals or similar. There is/was talk of certain colour coded dots on the OEM CCTs indicating 'an upgraded version but without objective evidence (official statement from Honda/service recall) it remains nothing more than a superstition/wishful thinking.
vtwin goody wrote:i may be totally wrong here but from what i,ve been told the latest honda ones are fine,please all correct me if i,m wrong as mine need changing in the new year :confused
It may be that your whole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

ImageVTR Firestorm and other bikes t-shirts
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

vtwin goody wrote:i may be totally wrong here but from what i,ve been told the latest honda ones are fine,please all correct me if i,m wrong as mine need changing in the new year :confused
I have heard this before a few times, but I've yet to see anything in writing to back this up,

Chris.
Fletch89

Post by Fletch89 »

Cheers, for the advice guys! :D Already sourced a pair of krieger manuals. :thumbup:
tony.mon

Post by tony.mon »

The failure is due to two factors, relying on a spring which can (and does) rust through, and designing an engine so that when the cct fails there's enough slack to allow the chain to climb over cam sprocket teeth.

Honda haven't tackled either of these two faults in the newer CCT's.
It's not falling off, it's an upgrade opportunity.
Fletch89

Post by Fletch89 »

Thanks for the explanation! I'm staying clear of those little buggers!!! :D
Sandyback

Post by Sandyback »

tony.mon wrote:The failure is due to two factors, relying on a spring which can (and does) rust through, and designing an engine so that when the cct fails there's enough slack to allow the chain to climb over cam sprocket teeth.

Honda haven't tackled either of these two faults in the newer CCT's.
Nice explanation. I have some of Bazza's on their way :)
Fletch89

Post by Fletch89 »

Hi
im half way through putting some APE tensioners in using Sirch's Guide, installed them i'm turning over the engine manually, and the cam chain seems to be rising up, are the tensioners too tight. I'm a tad worried Im going to knacker my timing.
AMCQ46

Post by AMCQ46 »

What do you mean by rising up?

Are you rotating it the correct direction? ACW
Did you set the slack to 5 to 10 mm on the top span when at firing tdc?

If the tensioners are too slack it will jump, but you need to be very slack.

IF YOU ARE WORRIED I WILL PM YOU A PHONE NUMBER AND I CAN TALK YOU THROUGH IT.. SORRY NOT SHOUTING, JUST DIDN'T NOTICE I LEFT CAP LOCK ON
AMcQ
Fletch89

Post by Fletch89 »

I'm turning the engine over manually Anti clockwise, the camchain seems slack and rises just above the teeth of the cams. Does that make any sense? By the way firing the TDC?
AMCQ46

Post by AMCQ46 »

You should have my phone number on pm, call me
AMcQ
tony.mon

Post by tony.mon »

Fletch89 wrote:I'm turning the engine over manually Anti clockwise, the camchain seems slack and rises just above the teeth of the cams. Does that make any sense? By the way firing the TDC?
Yes, it makes sense if you have removed the old cct, or it's failed completely.
Just get the new manuals in and reset the cams to the correct timing, following Sirch's thread in Workshop.

Unfortunately I cannot understand what you mean by "By the way firing the TDC".
It's not falling off, it's an upgrade opportunity.