CCT FAILURE and at what mileage

General Bike chat
EGG

CCT FAILURE and at what mileage

Post by EGG »

Hi all,
I keep reading about CCT failure's. Who's had 1 go and at what mileage? My storm has done 19000 and as far i as know it's not had 1 let go yet. Got the bike second hand with 8500 on the clock. Had a look at the service reports and there's nothing in them to say it's had a problem.
:?:
Better to burn out than just fade away!
tony.wilde1

ccts

Post by tony.wilde1 »

if you do a search on here for all the posts on cct's youll find loads of different milages and reasons///...only one fact..if the spring goes your engine will be toast!!and ..its only the spring that goes ok?basically if your worried change them for new ones..or mod them as some have done on the forum!cheers egg.
kingster

Post by kingster »

mine went at 15,000 and 30,000 (ish).

personally, I would treat CCTs as a service item at every 10,000 or 2 years, or do as tony suggests and do a mod.

Kingster
always try and put youself in a position to take advantage of the available luck!
Pete.L
Forum Health And Safety Officer

Post by Pete.L »

Whoa!
Seems like there must be about three threads on the same subject at the same time 8O (Or have I a short term memory problem?)

Egg said
My storm has done 19000 and as far i as know it's not had 1 let go yet.
Don't worry mate there's still time :wink: :wink:

Pete.l
Iwantafirestorm

Post by Iwantafirestorm »

If it's only the spring that goes and they are cheap or cheap-ish, then surely, it would be worth changing them once a year or once every six months?
tony.wilde1

springs

Post by tony.wilde1 »

i dont think you can buy just the springs..the whole 2 units cost £67 a pair from dave silver...plus 5 hours fitting approx. :roll:
Iwantafirestorm

Post by Iwantafirestorm »

I suppose £67 isn't too bad once per year or two, but 5 hours fitting? Sounds like a nasty awkward job 8O
Pete.L
Forum Health And Safety Officer

Post by Pete.L »

Bloody Hell 8O
Tony Said
Posted: Sun Oct 31, 2004 12:20 am Post subject: springs

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

i dont think you can buy just the springs..the whole 2 units cost £67 a pair from dave silver...plus 5 hours fitting approx.
You must have a slow tool kit :wink:
Are you changing the tensioners or giving a full service (shims ect) as well

Pete.l
tony.wilde1

tool kit

Post by tony.wilde1 »

yes it is slow..kneeling on block pavers freezing me nuts off!!eeeeeeeeek! :lol: :lol: :lol: