Wheels colour...

Need advice on which oil to use or which tyre best suits you? Share your topic and get help here.
Johnny Wishbone

Wheels colour...

Post by Johnny Wishbone »

Has anyone got wheels sprayed or powder-coated before?? Any ideas what's the best method, and what the damage would be to get it done professionally (as opposed to a DIY'er in the shed)?

Cheers.
Out of my way or I'll eat the lot of ye!!
Jaglifter

Post by Jaglifter »

Hi Jonny

Try scrolling back thro' the archives on this site. A couple (or so) months ago there was a guy offering to do these. Can't remember the cost, but the reults looked pretty stunning.
She's my idea of beauty and thats what I ride.
RQ

Post by RQ »

Warren (W@zzA) is doing the rim stripes, and Essexbloke mentioned at one stage he knew someone doing wheel paints. Least you might get an idea of price...
RQ.
The Stig of 2 wheels as well as 4 !
kevg

Post by kevg »

i took a set of wheels for a mate to a local powder coaters, they cost £65 for the pair.
cheerz

kev
Druid

Post by Druid »

Powdercoating is the way to go. Tougher and longer lasting than spraying.

I had a pair of wheels powdercoated about 18 months ago. Took the loose wheels in to my local bike shop, they removed tyres, discs and wheel bearings, powdercoated the wheels, and rebuilt them for £40 a wheel.
robin1000

Post by robin1000 »

The fella you want is RGVAL. Had an ad on here a while back. Lives in the midlands. Strip, polish and paint £80 the pair. :D
Bikes and scorned women don't mix!
Johnny Wishbone

Mucho Grassy-butt lads... I'll get in touch with the local bike shop and see if they can do some powder coating then 8) So I should be looking at €150 odd euro then.... at least I have a ball park figure. Thanks again!
essexbloke

Post by essexbloke »

Now theres a thought.........i was gonna polish the outer rims, and paint the spokes & hub.

Can that be done with powder coating? Not sure if they'd be able to mask up the outer well enough???

Anyone know???
Johnny Wishbone

Shiny rims, painted spokey yokes

Looks like that RGVAL fella can Essexbloke... check out the pics in the misc section of the gallery - there's a wheel there half polished, half painted.
kevg

Post by kevg »

i'd imagine they would powder coat the wheels first, then polish the rims after and this would remove any over spill.
cheerz

kev
Johnny Wishbone

Got in touch with Euro Plates here in Dublin - they'll do the pair for €120. That's grand value altogether! Won't remove the tyres or disassemble the wheels though.... :( Now, where'd I leave me tyre irons...

FYI, for anyone around Dublin, Euro Plates are in Dunboyne (01-8251804)