Is breaking a bike worth the effort?

General Bike chat
stormingjoe

Re: Is breaking a bike worth the effort?

Post by stormingjoe »

Photos of the said bike might help, with the kit you mention the bike could be an interesting special like Gilsons Moriwaki :o
1998 Firestorm, 47,000 miles, forks valved & sprung, proflex shock +4mm over standard, manual ccts', k&n, 50#slow 185#/190# mains, front carb slide mod, R6 throttle tube, Tank raised, Viper cans, Coerce fork brace, EBC lite front discs & pads.
agentpineapple

Post by agentpineapple »

the last ohlins shock i saw on ebay went for just over £300, it was in very good condition tho. good luck with what ever you decide to do fella. and if you do decide to break it give me a shout i'd be interested in the shock matey.......
HEY YOU GUYS!!!!!!
AMCQ46

Post by AMCQ46 »

Put this number in eBay, this was the Ohlins shock, but it was in USA

£308
AMcQ
tony.mon

Post by tony.mon »

You can get a complete set of plastics from the Far East for £300, other bits from this forum and Eblag.
You'd then sell it with those extras for between £1800-2000, I'd say.

Having split several of these, I'd say you'd be lucky to get it done in a day, especially if you don't have the frame bolt special tools.

Add a day in total for packing and posting, plus ebay sales charges, and you don't make a lot, all in all.
You'll end up with quite a bit that doesn't sell.

And although engines are up for £350, they normally fetch £250 or so.

An unmarked clutch cover, starter motor, and a handful of other parts will fly, but the rest trickles out over a few weeks or months.
Anything with dents, marks or scrapes goes for pennies.

With what you've told us, the bike's worth tidying.
Less work and more money that way.
It's not falling off, it's an upgrade opportunity.
gilson

Post by gilson »

Pm'd you.
No bike (yet).
jacko791

Post by jacko791 »

Thanks again everyone for info. From what has been said I think it may be too much work for me to strip the whole thing as my schedule is pretty busy for the next couple of months.
Currently I'm thinking about removing the trick bits and replacing with stock stuff to raise a bit of cash and then might be able to afford to keep the bike :) even if it is a shadow of its former self.
If I do strip the bits off to sell I think I'd put them on ebay unless I could get a local sale to avoid any of the scamming issues mentioned earlier.
thumperslaw

Post by thumperslaw »

Still no photo's??? :roll:

I would like to see said bike with some nice trick stuff :D
98 storm with goodies!

Srad seven fiddy stuntbike

K100 "flying brick"

R.I.P engine number 5
tony.mon

Post by tony.mon »

Well, in order to get a local sale you're going to have to let us know where you're from.

I might be interested in putting in an offer to buy the bike as is, because I probably have stock of all the standard parts to replace the trick bits, but will want much more info, pics, and a look round it.
jacko791

Post by jacko791 »

It's really not a trick looking bike. Fairly good handling wise with the shock upgrade and wheels plus braided hoses and fireblade master cylinder but nothing done styling wise and not been cleaned every ride. I'll get some photos taken tomorrow though and stick them on here.
I'm in Newcatle which might be a bit too far out of your way Tony. I'll get the photos on tomorrow and by then should have come to a conclusion about exactly what I want to do with it.
gilson

Post by gilson »

I must say jacko, given the good hearted cynicism, and believe me it is good hearted, this is a great forum with great people, you have reacted very positively. Others could have easily reacyed in other ways. Good on you.
No bike (yet).
Kev L

Post by Kev L »

gilson wrote:I must say jacko, given the good hearted cynicism, and believe me it is good hearted, this is a great forum with great people, you have reacted very positively. Others could have easily reacyed in other ways. Good on you.
Gilson Old Boy, the lengths you will go to to try and talk those wheels on to your bike. Outrageous Sir!!
:)
Carpe diem, quam minimum credula postero
F3, 954 USD front, K Tech springs, Braced swinger, Penske shock, Six spoke Mockesini wheels, Harris rearsets, QaT, Flywheel diet!, A&L stacks, stick coils, K&N, FP Ti jets, lashings of Ti & CF
Phimosis

Post by Phimosis »

Its settled the wheels and shock are now mine, no leave the poor bugger alone.... :lol: :lol:
She told me she was 16.
gilson

Post by gilson »

Kev L wrote:
gilson wrote:I must say jacko, given the good hearted cynicism, and believe me it is good hearted, this is a great forum with great people, you have reacted very positively. Others could have easily reacyed in other ways. Good on you.
Gilson Old Boy, the lengths you will go to to try and talk those wheels on to your bike. Outrageous Sir!!
:)
LMAO!!!
No bike (yet).
tony.mon

Post by tony.mon »

jacko791 wrote:It's really not a trick looking bike.
I'm in Newcatle which might be a bit too far out of your way Tony. I'll get the photos on tomorrow
Just round the corner, dear heart, nothing's too much trouble.
I quite fancy buying it now that i see that gilson is prepared to spend a fortune buying the good bits off me once it's mine--- MMMwaharhaaaarr!
There's a little corner of my garage already earmarked for it, just where the sun shines in the morning, so it won't get cold.

And right next to the Optimate point.

I'll even let it share the nice new bike cover I got for Christmas.
And give you the asking price, less my fuel for the trip to Newcastle, wherever that is.

But the crucial question, what colour is it?
charlie2ie

Post by charlie2ie »

Can't wait to see how this one ends :Beer Popcorn: