Prov licence, training question

General Biker Banter
Steve97

Post by Steve97 »

My boy ,who is 18, has been given the oppertunity to do his CBT and some rider training, a familly friend wants to pay for it all, great, this friend has been on to the training facility directly, (i am despertly trying not to stick my oar into this) and has been informed that his CBT and some more training will cost over a grand.
thats great if he comes out of it able to ride a larger bike, but as far as i am aware, if he passes his CBT, and modules 1 and 2 (whatever they are) he is then restricted to 33bhp untill he passes test, or / and reachs the age of 21, i dont want to go marching in to the local training centre asking questions without being armed, am also trying to get him to stand on his own two feet with this kind of thing, and not continue to do things for him or wipe his a..e all the time ! could have a word with familly friend but dont want to interfere , is a CBT (£128) AND A FEW LESSONS GOING TO COST A GRAND sorry its a bit confusing, but so am i. :wtf:

Steve
MJONESY

Re: Prov licence, training question

Post by MJONESY »

http://www.abermtc.co.uk/home/the-cost-of-training

thats my local training school, grand seems steep to me,

between the ages of 17 and 21 you can only take the restricted test meaning your restricted to 33bhp for 2 years, if you turn 21 in the mean time you can retake your test on a bike of more than 46bhp you can then ride anything.

but as you say he is 18, he will be able to ride anything on his licence before he would be able to take his direct access test anyway.
MJONESY

Post by MJONESY »

by the way MOD 1 test is the off road part involving emergency stop swerve manoeuvre u turn and that sort of thing.
Mod 2 is the 45mins? riding round on the road
Steve6088

Post by Steve6088 »

Knowing friends learning to ride currently, a grand seems perfectly reasonable.

Probably cost me more than that to pass 2 years ago as I failed my mod 2. They get you on bike hire for the lessons and obviously the cost of the lessons.
lloydie

Post by lloydie »

It only cost me £25 for the cbt and £30 for two lesions then took my test and passed well that was 16 years ago lol best £55 I've spent

Sorry officer
The voices made me do it
lloydie

Post by lloydie »

It only cost me £25 for the cbt and £30 for two lesions then took my test and passed well that was 16 years ago lol best £55 I've spent

Sorry officer
The voices made me do it
Steve97

Post by Steve97 »

Thanks for that fellas, things are a little clearer now, we have only just started down this road of getting a bike and so far its cost £50 for Prov licence, £6 for the postal order, £5 for registerd postage coz has his original Birth Cert in with the application, i know its a long time ago but my provisional licence cost nothing, i bought an older 250, rode around on it getting experiance for a year ,paid £17 to take test, passed first time, think the full licence cost a fiver, sold bike and jumped on a 650 twin,
yes i know traffic has increased ten fold, and veh are a lot faster, etc etc but it does make you wonder where its going to stop.
Any thoughts on a decent 33bhp bike when we get to that moment ?
marravtr

Post by marravtr »

Steve97 wrote:Thanks for that fellas, things are a little clearer now, we have only just started down this road of getting a bike and so far its cost £50 for Prov licence, £6 for the postal order, £5 for registerd postage coz has his original Birth Cert in with the application, i know its a long time ago but my provisional licence cost nothing, i bought an older 250, rode around on it getting experiance for a year ,paid £17 to take test, passed first time, think the full licence cost a fiver, sold bike and jumped on a 650 twin,
yes i know traffic has increased ten fold, and veh are a lot faster, etc etc but it does make you wonder where its going to stop.
Any thoughts on a decent 33bhp bike when we get to that moment ?
firestorm with a 33bhp restrictor kit fitted :wink:
4 wheels move the body, 2 wheels move the soul...........
Wicky

Post by Wicky »

Honda CB250N Superdream with turbocharger... :p
It may be that your whole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

ImageVTR Firestorm and other bikes t-shirts
encee

Post by encee »

lloydiecbr wrote:It only cost me £25 for the cbt and £30 for two lesions then took my test and passed well that was 16 years ago lol best £55 I've spent

Sorry officer
The voices made me do it
Me `n all Lloydie, same as you, passed my test about 20 years ago (didn`t take any lessons, just rode my learner bike for 6 months through the winter), which cost next to nowt.

Frankly I`m bloody gobsmacked that it can now cost a THOUSAND feckin quid just to get yourself through your bike test these days !!

Now I`ve picked myself up off the floor though, I`m no longer surprised, and can see that it`s the usual script in this bloody country, where the Government wants to decrease congestion, be "greener", etc..by getting us onto a motorcycle, then makes it necessary for you to be charged the earth to do just that.....

You couldn`t make it up.........!! :whatever

Edit: Now I realise why there`s hardly any younger lads and lasses coming into biking if it costs so much, and is why the average age at a bike meet these days is about 45 years old !! 8O
Fireman on a Storm

Post by Fireman on a Storm »

I stopped instructing about 4 years ago thanks to the Olympics taking over our training sight!
A full licence reticted to 33bhp or direct access was about £700 then for 5 days including CBT bike hire and test. A student would have to pay for their own theory test as well.

The practical road test has changed since I stopped training and is more involved and cost more. With some schools their insurance is more expensive with under 21s which can put up the course cost. £1000 doesn't sound cheap but it's not a rip off!
Paul
pete1781

Post by pete1781 »

I did my direct access about 7 years ago now and that cost me about £500, that was for 2 days, with the test at the end of the second day, also had to pay for theory test separately, so it wasn't heap then ennither, and that was before this dual modual bollox, i amstunned its doubled in 7 years however ,as other have said, at 30, i often feel very young in a crowd !
lumpyv

Post by lumpyv »

£1000 ! that a lot of dosh. mrs lumpys 24 yr old daughter has been trying to get her car licence for about 6 years on and off (she,s not a natural). i hate to think how much that has cost

i did 4 months on the raleigh runabout, 8 months on the fizzy , applied for my test which i got 7 days after my 17th birthday. in the meantime i had bought a honda cb 200. twice round the block and a about half a dozen questions and i had my licence. crazy really, passed the test without 1 second of formal training!

i did nearly kill myself on the fizzy about 3 minutes after i got on it though

i think the test was about £17.50?
3 out of 4 people make up 75% of the worlds population.
seb421

Post by seb421 »

Steve6088 wrote:Knowing friends learning to ride currently, a grand seems perfectly reasonable.

Probably cost me more than that to pass 2 years ago as I failed my mod 2. They get you on bike hire for the lessons and obviously the cost of the lessons.
Never had a CBT, had years riding offroad, so went to Mike Williams (of Bolton and Various 5th gear episodes), he put me on a ER500 in the compound, did some manures he was happy to take me out,

Wrote me out a CBT

Did 3 full days with mike on the roads on various shagged but easy to use ER500's, and then test on the fourth cost around 400 to 450 quid, this was about a year before new test.

A Grand is wombles mental money imo, sure your thinking the same hence the post.

*Did the Theory test for bike first.
ヨシムラ

MOT - 10/04/2015
TAX - 30/11/14
INSURANCE - MCE - Expires 12/04/2015 (Midnight)
ACCIDENT CALL - 0871 2227910
RAC - 0800 1977830 - 03_MCECAB90013033
vtrnewb90

Post by vtrnewb90 »

That's a lot of money being quite young I took my test when I was 17, can't remember how long before they changed it to two part but I only paid around 450/500 for three days training and test. My friends had to do the two part test about a year later they paid no more than 800 with three days training. Unfortunately are bikes kept coughing out the restrictors. :twisted:
When I turned 19 was legally allowed to ride anything was great. compared to a car insurance is pennies on bikes for young lads.
Now being 21 with a firestorm I guess that's young :cool2: