Bar Risers - Any views as to OK or not

Need advice on which oil to use or which tyre best suits you? Share your topic and get help here.
Rampant Lion

Bar Risers - Any views as to OK or not

Post by Rampant Lion »

HI..love the bike but have always had an upright riding position so I intend to put risers and hopefully my Renthal superbike bars I had on my 1200 Bandit. Thought I might buy these risers. I will need to trim the fairing a bit from the mirror back to the leading edge, I know.

Has anyone any history on this type of riser. ie too high or too far back.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/170756599095? ... 1423.l2649

All comments welcome.
Had: CB125. Benelli 250. Yamaha YDS7.Kawasaki Z400. Kawasaki Z650c. Kawasaki Z650B1. Kawasaki Z1300.Suzuki Bandit 1200. BMW R1100R. TDM 850 (2 off). Suzuki Bandit 1200. BMW R1100RT. Yamaha XT600.

Now: VTR 98 Storm in lovely silver....
Steve97

Re: Bar Risers - Any views as to OK or not

Post by Steve97 »

Have tried em all, standard bars, standard bars with the 12mm individual risers, CNC top yoke with risers and drag bars , same with renthals, same with superbike bars, now have VFR bars and i've finally found the right one for me !
Drag or straight bars with the "normal" top yoke was weird as the bike decided it did not want to turn in as per normal, so ended up with point the bike in the right direction and twist the throttle, cool for a while as it was different, the Renthals and superbike bars helped with the usual wrist / back problems but created a numb ar.e after 25-30 miles due to a more upright position, so some gains and some loses, you have a play mate see how you get on !

Steve

ps i think theres some pics on here of mine in various guises search "bike pics"oh and my fairing looks a bit like a Gixer thou after all the cutting and chopping, but it looks ok to be honest

Cheers
vtrsteve

Post by vtrsteve »

Got similar ones on mine but 75mm(3") ones. the one vital factor is that they allow the bars to clear the top of the the fork legs - not sure those will....
Add in extra for longer brake and clutch lines, electrics and throttle cables are just long enough but need a little re-routing. I had to take a lot out the fairing AND screen.
I did put the std clip-ons back on after years of renthals and hated it so straight back to the hi bars far better on my back and knackered wrists.
Rampant Lion

Post by Rampant Lion »

vtrsteve wrote:Got similar ones on mine but 75mm(3") ones. the one vital factor is that they allow the bars to clear the top of the the fork legs - not sure those will....
Add in extra for longer brake and clutch lines, electrics and throttle cables are just long enough but need a little re-routing. I had to take a lot out the fairing AND screen.
I did put the std clip-ons back on after years of renthals and hated it so straight back to the hi bars far better on my back and knackered wrists.

Steve..I had thought about dropping the forks all the way down after removing the clip-ons. Would only make a slight difference to the bike length, nothing that I would notice coz my days of scratching are gone. That would lift the bars up a bit and may not need to cut away so much.

Whats your'e view on that.

Also are there larger photos of your bike on the ste. Would like a closer look.

Ta..Ian
Had: CB125. Benelli 250. Yamaha YDS7.Kawasaki Z400. Kawasaki Z650c. Kawasaki Z650B1. Kawasaki Z1300.Suzuki Bandit 1200. BMW R1100R. TDM 850 (2 off). Suzuki Bandit 1200. BMW R1100RT. Yamaha XT600.

Fireman on a Storm

Post by Fireman on a Storm »

I used a set of these on my first storm with Renthal ultra lows
I found it a great riding position, possibly better than my second storm that I put a billet top yolk on.
AMCQ46

Post by AMCQ46 »

Rampant Lion wrote:.

Steve..I had thought about dropping the forks all the way down after removing the clip-ons. Would only make a slight difference to the bike length, nothing that I would notice coz my days of scratching are gone. That would lift the bars up a bit and may not need to cut away so much.

Ta..Ian
NO DON'T DO THAT! It's not the length of the bike, but the steering geometry that you need to worry about, if you raised the front end by 1" it will be a real struggle to get the bike to turn in to bends. And with the high bars it will take even more weight off the front, and I doubt the bike will feel very good to ride set up like that.
AMcQ
benny hedges

Post by benny hedges »

Rampant Lion wrote:HI..love the bike but have always had an upright riding position

All comments welcome.
go ride a gixxer or zx for a bit then get back on the firestorm.
it's as near a sit up and beg as you can get on a semi sports bike.
try undoing the bars and push them forward a bit.
(then tighten the up again obviously)
You do not have to say anything. But it may harm your defence if you do not mention when posting something which you later rely on in quote. Anything you do say may be ripped to sh*t.
vtrsteve

Post by vtrsteve »

AMCQ46 wrote:

Ta..Ian
NO DON'T DO THAT! It's not the length of the bike, but the steering geometry that you need to worry about, if you raised the front end by 1" it will be a real struggle to get the bike to turn in to bends. And with the high bars it will take even more weight off the front, and I doubt the bike will feel very good to ride set up like that.
Agreed, if anything you'll want to bring the forks up thru the yolks a bit more to get a little extra weight on the front.....
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

AMCQ46 wrote:

Ta..Ian
+ 1
You don't want to be doing that, reasons being exactly as AMcQ says.

It really is a suck it and see modification I'm afraid. Some find it the best thing they ever did, while others didn't like it.
It's bound to alter the way the bike handles as you're taking away some of your body weight from the front of the bike by sitting more upright.

Chris.
Rampant Lion

Post by Rampant Lion »

Jeez...thanks for all the replies. I will defer the dropping of the forks then, probably get lynched if I did. Got all your advice onboard and will make my mind up soon enough. Think I will go for the risers I mentioned in the first post, look good and hopefully should set the bars where I want them. I'll have another measure, may need the 3 inch rise to clear the legs, thanks for that bit of advice. Only to decide on the bars themselves and what lift. May have to compromise a bit, but that's fine.

Thanks again..

Just to show you what I've been used to, here is a photo of my last bike at the Faro Rally in the Algarve in 2010..now that's sitting up.

http://www.rampantlionrally.com/pics/fa ... ly/001.jpg

sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

R/L, this probably isn't going to help very much :) going by what you were used to in that link :lol:
But here goes anyway. If you didn't want to cut the fairing at first, you could try this type of bar risers (MandP used to stock them, plus ebay) VTRbob used, with low level renthal handlebars. Here's a couple of pic's showing the type of risers:-

Chris.
Diabolus

Post by Diabolus »

benny hedges wrote:
Rampant Lion wrote:HI..love the bike but have always had an upright riding position

All comments welcome.
go ride a gixxer or zx for a bit then get back on the firestorm.
it's as near a sit up and beg as you can get on a semi sports bike.
try undoing the bars and push them forward a bit.
(then tighten the up again obviously)
I find the storms standard ride position perfect, especially after the gixer.
After a long ride out on the gixer I was very uncomfortable, on the storm im ready to go again. :clap:
http://lincsrideouts.co.uk

So many MODS to do so little time to do them ! Mini bi-xenon hid projector viewtopic.php?f=31&t=30721
Rampant Lion

Post by Rampant Lion »

Chris, I appreciate you putting up the photos. Looks about what I need in so far as position.

Thanks agan..Ian :thumbup:

vtrsteve

Post by vtrsteve »

here's a couple of how I've done mine.....