Valve Clearances

Need advice on which oil to use or which tyre best suits you? Share your topic and get help here.
Jazzscot

Re: Valve Clearances

Post by Jazzscot »

Cheers :thumbup: Thought you had been drinking irn bru or something and managed to lift it up onto a workmate/bench

Everything good is bad
Everything bad is good
Sandyback

Post by Sandyback »

Sorry, but I have another dumb question to ask............ :?:

When I remove the original CCTs, bearing in mind I am replacing them with a pair of Bazza's Manual Converts, do I need to do anything with the central screw / locking tool (that I don't have) or can I just remove the two mounting bolts and remove the CCT?
bazza696

Post by bazza696 »

If your careful undo the m6 bolt on the back of the cct, undo the 2 bolts holding the cct in place, keep pressure on it but will probably stay there cause the gasket binds the two partS together. Put a flat head screwdriver in the end that by m6 nut came out this holds the cct plunged in position, with this locked mms you holding on for dear life, wiggle the cct to release it, then measure how much protrudes.

Mine was atone 52 or 57 mm from the face of the gasket to the end of cct rubber head.
Jazzscot

Post by Jazzscot »

I didnt use the locking tool when I did mine.

The locking tool is used to help work out the length that your new ones need to be.

I just did mine as recommended on here (finger tight back off a quarter turn)

I also had a look at how tight the cam chain was to give me the perfect tension.

Been 18 months since I did mine and still going strong. Very little adjustment needed. Just keep checking them periodically.
Everything good is bad
Everything bad is good
AMCQ46

Post by AMCQ46 »

as you have the cam covers off, you can [should] set the Bazza manual to the exact chain slack on the top run between the sprockets at about 7 to 10mm and that is the correct tension. so no need to measure the length of the old CCT, so you dont need worry about the locking tool.
AMcQ
Sandyback

Post by Sandyback »

Well, I took the plunge today.......

Front inlet cam removed, two shims out and measured - luckily the RHS shim was just right to correct the LHS so I just needed to buy one shim - a bit pricey at £6.25 from the local Stealer but they had the right size in stock so I'll let them off :plainsmile

Swapped the OE CCT for one of Bazza's and set it fingertight then back 1/4 turn. Hope this is correct, will find out when I start her up - eventually.

Then found TDC on the rear cylinder then swapped that CCT.

Job's a good'n.......I hope.

Thanks for all the advice.
Jazzscot

Post by Jazzscot »

Good stuff fella :thumbup:

Remember and do a few revolutions by hand before you fire her up.
Everything good is bad
Everything bad is good
Sandyback

Post by Sandyback »

Jazzscot wrote:Good stuff fella :thumbup:

Remember and do a few revolutions by hand before you fire her up.
Thanks Jazzcot, I did turn her over a few times when I'd finished but I am quite some time away from firing her up.
Seemed to turn over as normal.

Guess I am just a little unsure about the CCT tension with manuals. Time will tell.
Jazzscot

Post by Jazzscot »

At least with manuals you now have some control over the main real problem with this bike.

More pics of you putting her back together please :thumbup:
Everything good is bad
Everything bad is good