Paranoia Rules

General Bike chat
DizzyDuck

Paranoia Rules

Post by DizzyDuck »

Sorry but another CCT question..

I've noticed a Tapping from the top front of the engine I can only hear it when I'm wearing earplugs :? :?

It sounds "wooden" ie like tapping a wood block you know the sort of tap you get when a cam is in need of adjustment. My gut tells me it's the cam but not having heard the cct noise I don't know wheter to worry or not.

It's been like this for about a week and isn't getting worse. please reassure me my engine isn't about to go "Clunk"
RQ

Post by RQ »

Get a piece of wood, something like a dowel, about the diameter of a pencil and put it in your ear and up against the CCT casing. That will tell you if it's from there or not.
RQ.
The Stig of 2 wheels as well as 4 !
Bink

Post by Bink »

It won't go Clunck! ... It will make a sound more like a Football rattler!
As far as I remember 'the sound' is more a metallic ticking...
But a good trick is to place a screw driver with the metal bit on the engine block and the plastic bit to your ear ... then search around the block where the noise is coming from...
delmeekc

Post by delmeekc »

Ouch, well it could be.

Just buy another cct and when it is changed get the front cam timing checked at the same time (just need to take the front cam cover off) and if the timing marks can not be made to line up then the cam chain has stretched and also needs replacing.

DO IT NOW not later or the bill could end up more than a chain and cct, maybe add some valves, head and a piston/rod etc ontop.

Del.
bluesman

a question

Post by bluesman »

Del, may I ask you for some tip - obviously you've had experience with dozen VTRs - is ther any kind of statistics about how long camchain stay OK - I mean, like - it is OK for average of 50 000 km etc.
I thought about what you've said about force on chain ( I don't doubt that you right there) - I guess VTRs camchain life nowehre near inlines... I mean - can you advice, at what mileage I should start worrying?
4 wheels moving body, 2 wheels moving soul
delmeekc

Post by delmeekc »

I don't really think there is a rule, as it wears it will stretch and as it is a fixed length to start with so that the cam tiiming is correct. Once it starts to stretch then when the caming timing is checked it is really easy to see as the timing marks on the cam wheels (FI-FE for the front cylinder) and (RE-RI for the rear cylinder) will be short (no inline) of the top of the head face that they should line up with. One of them i did was knocking really bad and the chain had streched more than 20mm overall, changed the cam chain (for a secondhand one I had knocking around) and then it was sweet as, no sound at all. Another one was starting to go, so I scribed the cam wheel so I can check it next time it's in - this had no noises but just noticed it when doing the service. Both where on the front cylinder.

I think roger (@ revolution uk) suggests every 50k but this may be if it is being hammered on the track, best check with him.

Del.
DizzyDuck

Post by DizzyDuck »

thanks guys, Del your a fair way from me PM comin atcha. I'm thinking of stripping it just to have a look, but then I might as well replace it.
:roll:
DizzyDuck

Post by DizzyDuck »

Ok.. I know I could do this myself but I want the warranty offered by Honda Dealer on the work and parts...

does £216 inc vat ,parts and labour for both modified CCT's sound Ok?
delmeekc

Post by delmeekc »

what warranty, that'll be a bit on the cct's not ya engine.

Also Honda are selling modified cct's, i think not mate.

I will do it for, err cct's and gaskets are about £80, so that's £136ish labour, they going to check the cam timing for that? ask if you can watch? is so then that ain't to bad. Bet they tell ya to wombles off - which means they ain't gonna check the timing and just whip em out - lets hope they do it on the compression stroke else your bill will be £400 odd pounds as they will then have to do it properly ans reset the cams.

Del.
DizzyDuck

Post by DizzyDuck »

yeah , the warranty on the CCT's, but at least if they go pop in say 12months i'll have some redress on the dealer.

the mods from what I've seen appear to be a rotation of the centre rod ? through 90 deg.. Also the dealer refused to fit the old ones he had saying the modded ones he'd ordered han't turned up. well , when I say refused, he offered to fit the older ones saying that I'd be back needing them changed again shortly. :?

Cheers for mentioning the cam timing, I'll ask :D