The weirdest thing happened to my crash bungs...

General Bike chat
MattP

The weirdest thing happened to my crash bungs...

Post by MattP »

I need some help tracing a link I followed from this site to where I bought some crash bungs. But first, here this...

Being a rain or shine rider I got caught by the snow on Weds and ended up on my butt, loosing traction on ice.
The good news: it was all of 5mph and the recently fitted crash bung did the job, saving the body work. No other apparent damage except for a trashed indicator.
The bad news: I was amazed to see, that despite the ultra-low speed and a relatively soft impact on ice, the rod had bent 8O !!!!! God knows what would have happened in a more demanding situation. Although it seems to have bent where the rod enters the frame, I'm wondering if it caused any stress in the engine.

Surely it's not supposed to do this so I want to give the manufacturer a call and I've lost the details... it came thoroughly recommended from one of you guys...
Matt
firestorm_al
Site Admin

Post by firestorm_al »

Are they the R&G ones??

http://www.rg-racing.com/

Al
stormcloud

Post by stormcloud »

Something to consider:
By bending, it may have absorbed impact that would have been transferred to the bike if it had been more rigid.

Sort of like helmet padding, car crumple zones etc.

I know what you mean about higher accident speeds, but hard impacts put a lot of stress on components no matter how strong they are.

Perhaps they'd do better protecting bits as the bike slides along the ground, but I dont know really. Be interesting to hear what the mfr says.

Cheers, hope you're OK + back on the road soon.
MattP

Post by MattP »

Yep. This bung set was R&G, thanks for the memory jog. I've looked the bike over and ridden since the ice cleared and there's no apparent damage, not a scratch or a wobble. i'm just wandering how I'm going to get the wombles out now, looks pretty solidly jammed in. A word of caution before anyone else thinks of fitting them.

So now I know they're R&G, but i didn't buy them direct. c'mon guys, rack those minds... what's that link??

thanks for the help so far
WayneM

Post by WayneM »

Hmmm. Was it me that recommended em?!

I've dropped my bike twice now (?!) with them on - both slow slippery stuff type drops and each time I've given myself a pat on the back for putting them on. How did you notice the bent rod - was it visible or did you try and remove the rod?

Unfortunately I cant help with the link - however the R&G one is

http://www.rg-racing.com/

Cheers
WayneM
MattP

Post by MattP »

Hi Wayne
You could see it was bent, very visible indeed. I just don't get it - there's not a scuff on anything else as I fell on impacted snow and ice. Weird.

Matt