Battery Type

Need advice on which oil to use or which tyre best suits you? Share your topic and get help here.
Pete.L
Forum Health And Safety Officer

Battery Type

Post by Pete.L »

My old battery has finally given up the ghost and the optimate is doing bugger all.
On removal I found all the letters had rubbed off and I don't know what type it is.
Haynes says I need a 12 v 12 amp/hour one but don't say what type
M&P have ther own pt no's and apparantly there is a change. 97- 00 have one Pt No and 01-04 have a different one.
so does anyone know the correct (high capacity one please) for a 99 Storm?
Will the later batteries fit? Is there a difference. (M&P want £20 more for a later one)

Cheers all
Pete.l
Max

Post by Max »

Mines a 2000 (small tank) and its got a Yuasa YTX12-BS which is the early one, the later is a YTZ12-S I think. but i dont know if it swaps.

Max

just an after thought but some batteries dont come with acid if you buy them mail order.
Pete.L

Post by Pete.L »

Cheers Max :D
Anyone Know about the physical size of the later one? Is it a higher capcity one ect (voltamphours)?
Pete.l
Max

Post by Max »

http://www.yuasabatteries.com/battery.a ... 8&vID=1752

http://www.yuasabatteries.com/battery.a ... 1&vID=1753

they are diferent sizes, best get your tape measure out. the newer one is smaller
Pete.L

Post by Pete.L »

Excellent Max :D
Saved me a load of footwork.
Looking at the diamentions the later one will fit it's about 3/4" shorter is all. I'll have to look into the specs first to see if there is any advantage to having one and weigh it up against cost.
I've got 4 years out of the previous one and that one I have since found out was under rated (Varado type)
Cheers
Pete.l
Pete.L

Post by Pete.L »

Well Guys
the new battery is fullly charged and fitted fitted.
If you have a 2000 or earlier model prices range from £30 to £90. 8O
I've gone for the cheep option on the assumption I got 4 years out of the economy one which was suppied with the bike so hopefuly I'll get the same out of this one.
Also, from using my fantastic mathamatical ability, I can put 3 economy batteries in there for the same price as an expensive one and I've never had more than 3 years out of an original battery on larger bikes anyway.
It started fine this morning and as most of you might have noticed it's a little chilly this morning so I don't think cold starts are going to be a problem for it,we'll have to wait for January/Feb for a real test.
i'll keep you posted on how it proforms.

Pete.l
P.S the old battery must have been really knacked, it pulls better and runs sooo much sweeter on the new one :P