My Suspension Settings

Need advice on which oil to use or which tyre best suits you? Share your topic and get help here.
scott02464

My Suspension Settings

Post by scott02464 »

Sorry guys I know this subject has been covered before, but iv been reading all the previous write ups and I cant match one that best suits me....

Could someone tell the the best settings to adjust my Preload and Rebound settings to, front and rear?

Im about 12 stone and about 5 foot 10

Iv not set any suspension settings before so please explain in a Novice way please lol

Regards Scott
AMCQ46

Re: My Suspension Settings

Post by AMCQ46 »

at 12 st, you want to try the following

rear - this is a very heavy spring for your weight so you need the lowest preload, set damping so you can just feel it slowing the rebound when you bounce the bike up and down by hand.

front - the spring is too soft, even for your weight, so I would go close to max pre-load and see what it feels like whe riding. the damping should be set in the same way as the rear, start with no damplin then wind it in till you start to feel it slow down teh stroke. not that the fron adjusters do nothing for more than the 1st full turn, then all the adjustments is in the last 1/2 turn.

the correct way to set suspension is to set the sag with no rider on the bike, but that only works if you have the correct springs for your weight, so follow the above till such time you get some new fork springs
AMcQ
scott02464

Post by scott02464 »

Thanks alot mate that's very helpful! Just one other quick question? For the rear, if the spring is the preload how do I adjust the dampening on the rear?

I'll give that a go after work

Scott
AMCQ46

Post by AMCQ46 »

for Rebound damping on the back...............there is a screw on the side of the lower clevis mount of the shock. should be on the RH side so if you look under the bike from the below the rear brake pedal.
AMcQ
scott02464

Post by scott02464 »

Thanks alot mate! Can't wait to get tinkering now! :thumbup:

Scott
scott02464

Post by scott02464 »

WOW, we'll my rear pre-load was set to 5 from the bottom! It's now down to 1 (softest)

My front pre-load was set to the second notch, now iv set it to 1 making it firmer!

Thanks again for the advice

Scott
AMCQ46

Post by AMCQ46 »

There is always a chance that the last owner put new fork springs in, so you do need to check what it's like on the road. If it threatens to bottom out under braking, they are standard, if not they might be changed.

Have a look here for mods and the way to set sag http://www.haymouth.co.uk/phpBB3/viewto ... 37#p172772

First you have to have the correct springs for the combined weight of the rider and the bike.

All measurements from top of oil seal to underside of bottom yoke - silver tube!!

1) Set forks with 5mm more pull through the top yoke than standard i.e. lower the bike down the fork legs by 5mm (MAX 10mm) 

2) Set Rebound fully off (screw all way out)

3) Set Preload fully off (all way out) 

4) Raise front of bike off the ground and measure. (This is Full Travel) = A 

5) Return bike to floor 

6) Push down firmly and allow to return steadily (do not bounce) - measure = B 

7) Lift up with clip-ons (keep wheel on the ground) and allow to settle down (not crash down) - measure = C 

8) Measurement B + C divided by 2 = D 

9) Measurement A minus D = 26mm - 28mm 

10) Wind pre-load in until this figure is achieved, keep repeating 6 to 9 until it is correct. 

11) Set rebound to "fastest possible return, but under control” (screw fully in & than back out probably ¾ to 1¼ turns out)

All the measurements are done with the bike sitting on it’s own wheels, no stands or blocks etc. but I did find that the first measurement “A” was easiest to do with the front of the bike still jacked off the floor, with the wheel hanging in the air, but after that one the bike sits on the ground, no rear stand or side stand. 

No one sits on the bike either, the bike is sitting under it’s own weight. You can do this (I understand) because you have put the correct springs in there for the combined weight of you and the bike.

Go to a site like RaceTech http://www.racetech.com and they have a rider & bike weight calculator there that you can use for free. I happened to order my springs from them too.
AMcQ