Micron Exhaust Bafflectomy

Need advice on which oil to use or which tyre best suits you? Share your topic and get help here.
VTRDark

Micron Exhaust Bafflectomy

Post by VTRDark »

I have Micron Road legal exhausts on my bike with allen key bolts on the outlet pipe to remove the tubes.

Took a tube off one of my Microns today thinking I could remove the baffles, wadding or something to give them more of a low down rumble. Not just noise level but a deeper tone would be nice. And if it increases performance, even better.

On taking the tube off I discovered this:

No wadding, but inside the perforated tube there's a smaller baffle/tube halfway down at an angle not lining up with the exhaust outlet. Is that supposed to be like that or has it dropped? :?

I'm thinking that maybe it's supposed to be like that so that the exhaust gas's rebound of the end of the exhaust then flow out the outlet in a sort of zig zag pattern. Is this correct? I could not check the other exhaust to make a comparison as the tube would not slide off without a bit of brute force, and I did not want to do that unnecessarily. Thought I would check here first and get some opinions/advice first.

What would be the effect if I was to cut a section out of the perforated tube and either align the smaller tube up so that the gas's go directly out the outlet or remove it altogether? Would that be like a Micron (Not For Road Use) race exhaust? more direct flow (less restriction) and more noise! Would I be better off re-alingning it or removing it altogether? How would either of these options effect thing's?

Basically what I am trying to achieve is a different exhaust note (deeper) and a bit louder with more performance, less restrictive. :thumbup:

Your opinions/advice please. :wink:

(:-})
==============================Enter the Darkside
sirch345
Site Admin

Re: Micron Exhaust Bafflectomy

Post by sirch345 »

My advice would be to get hold of a set of cans you do like the sound of, then sell yours on to recuperate some of your expenditure. Unless someone has done what you are thinking about doing, with real dyno results on improvements, then you really are shooting in the dark. Only my opinion I know,

Chris.