Is this a good deal?

General Bike chat
Craig

Is this a good deal?

Post by Craig »

Apart from the red tyres, they'd get changed immediately!

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll? ... RK:MEWA:IT

Would you make a Portsmouth - Nr Liverpool journey for it?

I'm considering it but not sure if it's worth the journey or not?

Cheers.
2001 Wr400 Supermoto | www.r6-yzf.co.uk
stu9000

97 vtr 13000m fsh for 2k. A good deal and a good choice

Post by stu9000 »

97 vtr 13000m fsh for 2k looks like a pretty good deal to me on paper. I bought my 99VTR with 14k on clock for 3500 from a dealer last year.

Why not buy MCN and a few other bike mags to get a feel for what the market is doing. The web is good too.

Personally though, once the money youre handing over gets to this amount I start to think about the peace of mind buying from a recognised dealer, or independant dealer, offers. Sure they cost a bit more but if the bike isnt "as sold" youve got some comeback.

It would be interesting to know what a few other forum members thought about buying privately.

The VTR is a great choice of bike too. My VTR is my 2nd big bike (the first being a ZZR600). Its a powerful 140 mph bike but usable too. Build quality is good. Its comfortable to ride. It looks good and not everyone has one. Its a big bike but not too heavy or wide.

Dont worry about what you read about the tank being a bit small. After an hour and a half youre ready to stop anyway. Maybe it would be a small issue if I was on a German autobahn in the company of loads of other bikes (which I havent done yet but MUST get round to).

Some say the forks are not as good as some but Ive never felt it was a problem. Having had my bike for about a year I recently bought some leo vinci aftermarket exhausts. This I can recommend!! It releases that V Twin engine boom and adds a noticable bit of power.

Whether you go for this deal or not a VTR is a good choice.
red is the fastest colour;)
Craig

Post by Craig »

Thanks for replying Stu, there has been a [slight] change of plan, in me finding a nice KTM 450 EXC supermoto/MX for sale :oops: which I'm very tempted to go for... I will be buying the VTR once I sell my WR400F... my original plan was to sell R6, buy VTR, sell WR, buy KTM.. but well.. plans change...

I'm set on the VTR, people keep taking the piss out of the tank range but if it's a big problem then I can always sell it or just put up with it.. the looks/sound etc should make up for low tank range!

I should have my WR400 sold by end of January with any luck so will have a VTR very soon.. it seems a shame for me to buy one now then it get all dirty and corroded over winter! My first winter of actually riding (got lifts last winter :lol:) so it'd be a shame to drop the VTR on some black ice or something.. the KTM isn't a problem as plastics are dirt cheap, you can make a dirt bike look brand new again with a quick clean and £150 worth of full plastics! :grin:

The second I sell my WR I will have a VTR.. although I've been looking for one for 3 weeks now with no luck.. and I'm bikeless so another reason why the KTM makes sense :wink:

The bloke on ebay doesn't seem to want to sell me his bike anyway! He couldn't be arsed to reply to my e-mail despite the fact I was prepared to travel up from Portsmouth to Cheshire with cash in my pocket! (Had planned to go up Saturday just gone but he never mailed me back!) Oh well there will be more!

Alas, one day soon I will have a nice red VTR storm, just don't show me any supermotos for sale! :lol:
2001 Wr400 Supermoto | www.r6-yzf.co.uk
DizzyDuck

Post by DizzyDuck »

well, TBH Idon't feel that it's that great a bargain to do that journey for.

Anyone that sticks Bloody remoulds on a bike like the VTR deserves shooting !! god only know what other "Economies" have been made. The paintwork looks rather dull , as in not shiny. especially on the tail unit. may just be the dodgy picture though.

I paid effectively £3k for mine on a 99 plate from a dealer. that's it in the sig pic.

No. I think a good decision to pass on this.
stu9000

tank range

Post by stu9000 »

Youre right about the tank range.
It can be a bit annoying BUT as a complete package the VTR is a lot of bike for the money.

Personally I find Im ready for a quick stop and stretch after 110 miles anyway.

Stu
red is the fastest colour;)