Whys it do this?

Need advice on which oil to use or which tyre best suits you? Share your topic and get help here.
scott02464

Whys it do this?

Post by scott02464 »

Whilst out on a sunny thash when I first got my storm just over a year ago, i decided to test the brakees out on a quiet country lane. More to give me a bit of confidence more than anything. And to test them out as you never know what numpys been tinkering with it previously lol!

Was doing about 45ish and slammed the brakes on to come to an abrupt stop....

Brakes were good (As can be for a storm) but my question is,

When id got it back into first gear again to set back off the throttle almost 'bogged' down as i went to set back off... Sounded like it was running on 1 cylinder.

It took about 20-30 seconds of blipping the throttle until it seemed normal..... :think:

Once it was back to normal it was straight back to full power. Bizzare? :confused

Regards Scott
tony.mon

Re: Whys it do this?

Post by tony.mon »

Probably fuel surge, so the carbs were not able to fuel properly, takes a few seconds to refill.
Alternatively, little bits of crud get disturbed in the float bowls, and temporarily clog jets until they sink back to the bottom of the bowl again.
It's not falling off, it's an upgrade opportunity.
scott02464

Post by scott02464 »

tony.mon wrote:Probably fuel surge, so the carbs were not able to fuel properly, takes a few seconds to refill.
Alternatively, little bits of crud get disturbed in the float bowls, and temporarily clog jets until they sink back to the bottom of the bowl again.
Yeah it made me think id broken it after having it 5 mins lol!

I forget about it until today. I had an R6 two bikes before this one and cant racall it never doing this. Was a 2001 model....... I do miss it abit :wink:
vtrsteve

Post by vtrsteve »

it a well known issue with the carb breathers, as std they tuck back in between the carbs - pull then out and just let them hang down.
scott02464

Post by scott02464 »

vtrsteve wrote:it a well known issue with the carb breathers, as std they tuck back in between the carbs - pull then out and just let them hang down.
Im still really getting to know my way round the storm, which ones are the hoses i let hang down mate?
vtrsteve

Post by vtrsteve »

benny hedges

Post by benny hedges »

FIT A FUEL PUMP OFF A ZX6R OR SIMILAR AND IT WONT HAPPEN AGAIN.
i was getting similar on high speed flat out accel runs, it felt like it wasnt filling the carbs fast enough but i think its more to do with the fact that the fuel is gravity fed.
heavy accel or -gravity hard braking will affect it. fitting a fuel pump sorts it.

convenient place for te fuel pump is on top of the battery box
You do not have to say anything. But it may harm your defence if you do not mention when posting something which you later rely on in quote. Anything you do say may be ripped to sh*t.
gilson

Whys it do this?

Post by gilson »

benny hedges wrote:FIT A FUEL PUMP OFF A ZX6R OR SIMILAR AND IT WONT HAPPEN AGAIN.
i was getting similar on high speed flat out accel runs, it felt like it wasnt filling the carbs fast enough but i think its more to do with the fact that the fuel is gravity fed.
heavy accel or -gravity hard braking will affect it. fitting a fuel pump sorts it.

a pre99 CBR fuel pump is ideal.
No bike (yet).
scott02464

Post by scott02464 »

benny hedges wrote:FIT A FUEL PUMP OFF A ZX6R OR SIMILAR AND IT WONT HAPPEN AGAIN.

Ah is that why! Cheers mate that makes a lot of sense. I'm not bothered about curing at as it's not really a problem, but like to no why things happen. It didn't occur to me the storm was gravity fed!

You say it happened to you when accelerating? Yours must go like stink?? Lol :thumbup: :D
vtrsteve

Post by vtrsteve »

Trust me, you DON'T need to go to the expense and hassle of a fuel pump! I had the exact same symptoms on a trackday at donington and was shown by another rider what to do, next session the problem was gone. sort the breather pipes for FREE before you do anything else.
scott02464

Post by scott02464 »

vtrsteve wrote:Trust me, you DON'T need to go to the expense and hassle of a fuel pump! I had the exact same symptoms on a trackday at donington and was shown by another rider what to do, next session the problem was gone. sort the breather pipes for FREE before you do anything else.
Could you let me know how to sort the pipes out mate? Not in advanced terms lol :thumbup:
toonarmy

Post by toonarmy »

ive just done the breather pipe it does go a long way in and its a tight bend so could be restricted