buying a vtr

New here? Come in and introduce yourself
Superhawk Stu

buying a vtr

Post by Superhawk Stu »

lloyd1974 wrote:Hi all I just joined the site I have put deposit down on a firestorm 1997 model is mint is there anything major to look out for plz
oh and hello...the guys on here are really really helpful :)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
W: www.driversscotland.co.uk
E: info@driversscotland.co.uk
:) Facebook, Twitter, and YouTube
Superhawk Stu

buying a vtr

Post by Superhawk Stu »

Post a pic, I had a mint red one lol

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
W: www.driversscotland.co.uk
E: info@driversscotland.co.uk
:) Facebook, Twitter, and YouTube
VTRDark

Re: buying a vtr

Post by VTRDark »

Option 1

Some links regarding the Cam Chain Tensioners (CCT's)
You can either go for the stop mod View Topic http://www.vtr1000.org/phpBB3/viewtopic ... 31&t=19416 Which is the Honda auto CCT's that are converted to a fail safe. So when it does fail, it don't send the valves crashing.
Or
You go for the full manual conversion, your options are here http://www.vtr1000.org/phpBB3/viewtopic ... 16&t=22720

To see if it has been done have a look at the CCT's on bike. Is there a thread coming out the end with a locknut. If so then manuals are installed. To know if the Honda autos have been converted to fail safe, as far as I'm aware the only way to know is to remove the CCT's and look.
With regards to cost approx £30-£50 for manuals and if you go down the fail safe path then it is just the cost of your time.

Have fun. :thumbup:

(:-})
==============================Enter the Darkside
tony.mon

Post by tony.mon »

cybercarl wrote:
To see if it has been done have a look at the CCT's on bike. Is there a thread coming out the end with a locknut. If so then manuals are installed. To know if the Honda autos have been converted to fail safe, as far as I'm aware the only way to know is to remove the CCT's and look.

Nope, you can check by undoing the cap on the rear one (cause it's easiest to get to) with a rag underneath to catch the small amount of oil that'll come out
Turn the engine to rear top dead centre, remove the rear cam cover to make sure that the cams are pointing up and towards each other. Turn it one complete turn anticlock if they're not.

Then put a small screwdriver down the end of the cct, and you should be able to feel the adjuster unscrewing, but only one and a half complete turns maximum, probably only half a turn or so until it hits the stopper.

If it unscrews more than that, then they haven't been converted. But why not just ask the previous owner?
Quiz them about how it was done, or by whom, as they might just tell you anything they think you want to hear to get the sale.

I suppose it's possible that the rear one might have been done and not the front, as it's easier to get to, but let's hope not as the front one is the one that fails most times.

This procedure is still a bit of work, but at least you don't have to pull the airbox off as well if they've already been converted.
If they haven't you might as well do the stopper mod while you're there- it's not much more work at that point.
It's not falling off, it's an upgrade opportunity.
VTRDark

Post by VTRDark »

Thanks for clearing that one up for me Tony. I take it your referring to the stopper modded ones.

It's good to learn. :thumbup:

==============================Enter the Darkside
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

Weclome aboard lloyd1974 :thumbup:

Chris.
Damo81

Post by Damo81 »

hi and welcome :thumbup: :thumbup:
Sitting On My VTR At Full Throttle Is Like Sitting On A Washing Machine At Fast Spin....No Wonder I Ride Around With A Hard On !