Bikes and Suits?

General Bike chat
Iwantafirestorm

Bikes and Suits?

Post by Iwantafirestorm »

Is there anyone out there who commutes on their bike who also has to wear a suit to work?

I have water-proof overtrousers but the problem is that if I ride in heavy rain or the roads are quite dirty, the bottoms of my trousers get a bit wet/dirty. This has never been a problem before as I have always worked in a factory and went to work in grubby clothes anyway so it didn't matter. Also my coat is only "shower-proof" and if I am in heavy rain I get a triangle of wet in the middle of my chest area. Obviously this is no good on an expensive suit so I would like to know what bikers do if they have to wear a suit to work but also go to work on a bike.

Thanks for any suggestions as I am totally at a loss. :?:

Cheers

iwanta

PS: Have Honda bought out a silver Firestorm? I swear I have seen two in the last week - didn't get to look close though but they looked new with a slightly modified shape - definately Firestorm-shaped though (looked really nice).
Stormin Ben

Post by Stormin Ben »

I used to leave the suit at work, wear a shirt under my leathers and get changed when I got in.

The other option is to get yourself some proper waterproofs :lol:

Ben
essexbloke

Post by essexbloke »

I do the office/commute every day. used to try to wear the shirt/tie/troosers under the gear, but always ended up looking like i'd been dragged through the hedge when i got to work.

Now I always fold the good stuff neatly, and pack in my handy rucksack, and change at work. Just allow yourself an extra 10 mins to change....

That way you can enjoy the ride more without worrying about creasing the nicely pressed shirt!!!
Iwantafirestorm

Post by Iwantafirestorm »

essexbloke wrote:I do the office/commute every day. used to try to wear the shirt/tie/troosers under the gear, but always ended up looking like i'd been dragged through the hedge when i got to work.

Now I always fold the good stuff neatly, and pack in my handy rucksack, and change at work. Just allow yourself an extra 10 mins to change....

That way you can enjoy the ride more without worrying about creasing the nicely pressed shirt!!!
Thanks for the replies S.B. and E.B.

Yep, I think the best thing would be to have a "work-suit" and "bike-wear" seperate. LIke you say, there's no worry and I can enjoy riding more.
Druid

Post by Druid »

I leave my suit at work so I only need to wear the shirt & tie under my bike kit, and change at work.

Decent waterproofs are vital. If you're wet and uncomfortable then you don't concetrate properly, and that leads to mistakes... I have a HeinGericke Voyager suit which is waterproof and warm, and has armour in all the important places. About £250 iirc, bought a year ago.