Black Frame

General Bike chat
Boubepo

Black Frame

Post by Boubepo »

Black frame - I was just playing around with this idea.

I also have a Triumph Speed Triple, In 2005, Triumph changed the colour of the Speed Triple's frame from silver to black, In my mind - a huge improvement on the over all appearance.

I was just wondering if the same would apply to the Firestorm? Does anyone have any thoughts? Has anyone tried respraying the frame? If so, how difficult was it? Anyone have any pics?

Or if someone with Photoshop capabilities could show a black [yellow lettering] Storm with a mat black frame - It would be hugely, hugely appreciated - It might look cack but I need to know! :)
BigVeeGrin

Re: Black Frame

Post by BigVeeGrin »

Boubepo wrote:Black frame - I was just playing around with this idea.

I also have a Triumph Speed Triple, In 2005, Triumph changed the colour of the Speed Triple's frame from silver to black, In my mind - a huge improvement on the over all appearance.

I was just wondering if the same would apply to the Firestorm? Does anyone have any thoughts? Has anyone tried respraying the frame? If so, how difficult was it? Anyone have any pics?

Or if someone with Photoshop capabilities could show a black [yellow lettering] Storm with a mat black frame - It would be hugely, hugely appreciated - It might look cack but I need to know! :)
It's what I plan, but with red lettering and accents. Trying to get a bloke at work to do the photoshop work, satin black frame, sub, forks, wheels, red calipers and other subtle bits. Mmmmm fast.

Although for the colouristas around, is a black storm with yellow lettering faster than one with red?
Boubepo

Post by Boubepo »

BigVeeGrin wrote:
Boubepo wrote:Black frame - I was just playing around with this idea.

It's what I plan, but with red lettering and accents. Trying to get a bloke at work to do the photoshop work, satin black frame, sub, forks, wheels, red calipers and other subtle bits. Mmmmm fast.

Although for the colouristas around, is a black storm with yellow lettering faster than one with red?

Sounds nice! I reckon looking at a black SP2 [with black frame] will give us some idea - and they look pretty hot!

PS.
Yellow lettering definitely goes faster than red lettering, in fact it's been scientifically proved - NASA only managed to get a rocket to the moon, once they decided to change their red lettering on Apollo 11 to yellow. The 10 previous attempts - Appolos 1 - 10 all failed - yep - red lettering!
StormingHonda

Post by StormingHonda »

I've had a Triumph speed four with black frame, fork legs etc.

Looks much, much better than silver.

The problem isn't getting the frame painted, but stripping the bike down to the frame and rebuilding it, a lot ot work and would see your bike off road for a few weeks, taking into account your be doing other things like work and family.
benny hedges

Post by benny hedges »

i did the frame and subrame, fork legs etc on mine in satin black and it looks good against the white.

firestorm mike did his yellow one same.

just dont use hammerite spray cos its not fuel proof.
powder coating is the way to go.
You do not have to say anything. But it may harm your defence if you do not mention when posting something which you later rely on in quote. Anything you do say may be ripped to sh*t.
VTRDark

Post by VTRDark »

I am currently toying with idea of spraying my frame Black. It would have to be a good quality,hard wearing spray which is not cheap. Something like this http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/PJ1-GLOSS-EPO ... 41611f1e6d

Thinking about it though, by the time all the panels and everything have been taken off and everything else masked/taped off, a few cans of expensive spray used. One might as well take the frame off and get the frame and swingarm powdercoated for £150. The engine remains where it is on a block and the frame lifts over the engine, not too difficult really as long as mounting bolts/castle nuts are not siezed.

(:-})
==============================Enter the Darkside
BigVeeGrin

Post by BigVeeGrin »

Powder coating is the route I will go eventually, get it done professionally :D
Boubepo

Post by Boubepo »

I honestly think a black frame would improve the appearance 3 fold, some people think the VTR is ugly - I don't agree, I think it's unique and already beautiful but a black frame would enhance looks to a new level

I reckon it's a bigger job than I'm probably anticipating, most definitely a winter job - but If you go to that much trouble, I think professional powder coating is the answer.

Perhaps we should start a frame removal/powder coating group come Nov/Dec?
tony.mon

Post by tony.mon »

There are a black pc swing arm and rear sub frame on Ebay at the moment........
It's not falling off, it's an upgrade opportunity.
lumpyv

Post by lumpyv »

i know its not a vtr but didnt suzuki change the frame on the sv range from silver to black after a few years?. theres a comparision for you.
3 out of 4 people make up 75% of the worlds population.
tasum

Post by tasum »

Just done my subframe in satin black, now waiting for the right time to do the frame black as well as the forks
slow is smooth, smooth is fast
agentpineapple

Post by agentpineapple »

satin black everytime and as has been said,get it powder coated, it can and will still chip but its petrol proof, unless you add a match to it that is :lol:
i came very close to diong it when i rebuilt my bike, my original plan was to copy bennys look with white bodywork, it just makes the storm look more modern and upto date.....
i might still do it tho, my swingarms already done, i might do the subframe in smooth hammerite satin black because you can only see a little bit of that on the bike tbh.
post some pics tasum :thumbup:
HEY YOU GUYS!!!!!!
Boubepo

Post by Boubepo »

I recently found a photo on the SuperHawk site - A black frame looks the biz!

I'm not sure how to add a photo here, so instead here is the link http://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/ge ... ame-27597/

You may have to join up to see the images
agentpineapple

Post by agentpineapple »

heres a few more
HEY YOU GUYS!!!!!!
masterdave

Post by masterdave »

Ill be sticking with metal, love polishing nd want a mirror finish frame :)