Dynojet kit

Need advice on which oil to use or which tyre best suits you? Share your topic and get help here.
jaydubya

Dynojet kit

Post by jaydubya »

I bought a pair of Termi carbon cans from a pal who swapped them about with the standard ones for track days and the like. He never had the bike re-jetted and said he was told by the dealer he bought the bike from it didn't need a Dynojet kit. The bike ran fine and never cooked anything but I wonder if that was because he didn't run with the Termi cans all the time. Do I need to change the main jets to get the best out of the cans or to prevent the valves getting toasted (or both!)? Anybody out there had dire experience running with standard main jets?

Cheers
jw
Fireman on a Storm

Post by Fireman on a Storm »

The bike should run OK with the cans on. Storms run a bit rich anyway on standard cans. I checked with my dealer and he said that there would be no problens with the valves.

BUT

The bike might run fine and sound great.
But you will not get the best performance out of it, and may have a flat spot in your power curve.
A dynojet kit set up properly would sort it.

I have had my ART cans for 2 years with no problems, and still have not had it dynojeted. Only because I have not had the money to get it done :(
jaydubya

Post by jaydubya »

Cheers mate. :) thats just what I wanted to hear. I'll try the cans for a few weeks to see if I like them then decide whether to spend the dosh for a proper set-up.

Is a Dynojet kit just main jets and needles or is there a lot more to it than that?
cupasoop
Site Admin

Post by cupasoop »

I've no idea about any of it but it's nice to see another weegie on the board.
Rich.

Johnny Wishbone

Post by Johnny Wishbone »

Alright Jay - yep, a jet kit is basically just new needles and bigger jets. There's also some washers and circlips for setting up the needles but they'll be all part of the same assembly once they've been installed.

The Storms tend to run a little rich alright as standard, although it is possible to improve the fuel consumption by raising the needles a bit (there's a thread here somewhere that mentioned it too, think it might have been from http://www.roadracers.co.uk or .net).

I bought a Storm a while ago with race cans and a K&N, but with standard needles and jets. Bike was running quite lean so I just recently bought a jet kit. Bike is still running slightly lean even with the bigger jets so I will have to adjust the mixture, but she is far better than before, the performance difference is very noticable. Power feels smoother too.

Basically what I'm saying is that if you have race pipes and a K&N on, chances are you'll be running slightly lean (you'll notice the popping and backfiring). If you don't want the extra performance you could just tweak the mixture a little.

I suggest that if you are going to get a jet kit, also buy some vac gauges and a colourtune kit and set the thing up properly - at least you'll know then that it's spot on.

J.
Out of my way or I'll eat the lot of ye!!
RQ

Post by RQ »

Gooooo on Johnny, tell them all about the spark plug incident when you were putting it all back together :lol: :lol:
RQ.
The Stig of 2 wheels as well as 4 !
Johnny Wishbone

Electric Shock Therapy

Right so, where to start... basically, I was losing the front cylinder......
:oops:
Ah... no.... no.... no.... :wink:

Basically folks, STAY THE wombles AWAY from the plug leads when the bikes running..... unless you're after electric shock therapy or somethin' :)
RQ

Post by RQ »

Ok so, I'll tell it..........

JW decided in his wisdom to take the HT lead off the plug when the bike was running, and as it was pumping electric charge into his arm he couldn't let go because the muscles (few that there are) in his arm tensed enough that he couldn't drop the lead!!!! A quick trip to the kill switch saved him further embarassement! :lol: :lol: :lol:

That's fookin deadly!!
RQ.
cupasoop
Site Admin

Post by cupasoop »

:lol: Fanny :lol:
Rich.

Johnny Wishbone

No Rich, I got the electric shock in me arm.... :lol: anyway, I don't have one of those, if I did I wouldn't be sitting her wasting my time talking to you guys... :wink:
RQ

Post by RQ »

Ooooh. Think we hurt his feelings by pointing out his inadequecies!
RQ.
Johnny Wishbone

Yep - and a good cry I had too.... :cry:

:wink:

Thing is though, I'm not a COMPLETE thick - I knew what would happen if I did that, but I still did it. A bit of "Homer Syndrome" maybe??

Thinking about it, I should have got Triona to do it!! :lol: :lol:

I might laugh now, but my life would be over... she feckin castrate me!