what have you done to your "bike" today

General Biker Banter
pinkyfloyd

Re: what have you done to your "bike" today

Post by pinkyfloyd »

The pads I took off had as much left on them as the brembo has new! I almost put them back on and thought.... sod it I've got this far now might as well throw the new ones on.

I have SBS carbons for the rear, My justification is I was not prepared to spend the guts of £35 for rear brembo's when I hardly ever use the rear brake, when I do use the rear its mainly for slow riding through town. The SBS I have heard good things about but brembo had to go on the front. Will get out in a day or so to give them a good run in up and down the road.
And if the band you're in starts playing different tunes, I'll see you on the dark side of the moon.
History:....CZ125....RXS100.....Lifan LF125-14F.....Suzuki GSXR750
Current:...1999 VTR FIRESTORM!
VTRDark

Post by VTRDark »

Bloody hell, Carl, I'm surprised you didn't set fire to the front tyre!
Luckily enough only had about 1.5 miles to ride. And no I didn't set fire to the tyre. The pipe was hanging in front of it. :lol:
you will realise H&S isn't a strong suit!
What is H&S Kev

Well done Pinky. :thumbup:
Bit shy of pad tho to start with tho....
But the are harder wearing so last a long time.

Today I fitted CBR600 Stick coils to my bike. What a noticeable difference. Bike runs so much smoother and feels more responsive. :thumbup:

(:-})
==============================Enter the Darkside
cliveyandrews

Post by cliveyandrews »

I fancy the stick coils on mine too!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk and my fat thumbs...
=====================================================

Audi, Vide, Tace
aurantiacus tempestas es ocius

=====================================================
tony.mon

Re: what have you done to your

Post by tony.mon »

AMCQ46 wrote:
tony.mon wrote:tomorrow.

But I'll be at work then, so perhaps I'd best do it today......
Tony, Is this good news, you sorted out a new job now?
Temp stuff, mate, 7.5 ton lorry driving mostly, but last week and for the next two I'm working for a friend decorating and doing up a house he's bought to get it ready as a student let.

It pays much the same as the lorry driving, but with a 9AM start instead of the 4 or 5 AM start, so is preferable....
It's not falling off, it's an upgrade opportunity.
crrb1

Post by crrb1 »

Today I took my bike around Ledbury, Marsden and Gloucester, then put in a friends garage while I go and get married in Germany. Don't worry i will be back in a week. I'm talking to the bike!!
Kind Regards

Carl Roberts
crrb1

Post by crrb1 »

Today I took my bike around Ledbury, Marsden and Gloucester, then put in a friends garage while I go and get married in Germany. Don't worry i will be back in a week. I'm talking to the bike!!
Kind Regards

Carl Roberts
VTRDark

Post by VTRDark »

You got married twice then. :lol:

Congratulations :beer:

lloydie

Post by lloydie »

http://bit.ly/R0WiSS
Just took mine out the bin lol
Rob

Post by Rob »

Finally got the Ultraseal so put some in punctured rear and brand new front.

Wasn't happy with the rear brake so removed it again and checked the slides. Looked fine, but a bit of grease and it was perfect after putting it back together.

Went out early for a quick 150 mile test early morning just to check everything was ok :D

Rear tyre was 2psi up when I got back so ultraseal has worked perfectly. Rear brake fine (EBC pads) and Goldfren sintered pads up front are brilliant compared to OEM even though they are hardly bedded in yet.
Doubt they will last anywhere near as long but they aren't expensive.

Bike running and feeling great and got quite a bit of attention when I stopped of at MacD's for a Cappuccino. Proof that Yellow is fastest and the best looking :thumbup:
'02 VTR1000-FY Yellow.
'12 Moto Guzzi Griso 8V SE Tenni.
marravtr

Post by marravtr »

postie brought my led rear light (cheers bsm) :thumbup: fitted and working within half hour! had a couple of hours blat out 8) dont recon my rear tyre's gonna last long in this heat!! :twisted:
4 wheels move the body, 2 wheels move the soul...........
TonyW650

Post by TonyW650 »

Took it for a MOT and it failed, Spent all week cleaning it and making sure everything was ok and it failed!
wasnt enough meet left on the front pads, has to be more than 1.5mm or its a fail, and i was the last mot of the day before he shut shop.
oh well got home fitted new pads that had turned up in post late go back next week Doh
VTRDark

Post by VTRDark »

wasnt enough meet left on the front pads, has to be more than 1.5mm or its a fail
How do they work that out then. I always thought it went by the braking force on the machine. Brembo pads have a lot lees meat on them them than say EBC's but the the compounds they use are a lot more harder wearing. So that seams a bit unfair to me. They could have given you an advisory on that, what pain.

seb421

Post by seb421 »

cybercarl wrote:
wasnt enough meet left on the front pads, has to be more than 1.5mm or its a fail
How do they work that out then. I always thought it went by the braking force on the machine. Brembo pads have a lot lees meat on them them than say EBC's but the the compounds they use are a lot more harder wearing. So that seams a bit unfair to me. They could have given you an advisory on that, what pain.

agree when i put brembos i thought my god these look like an MOT fail from the start!
ヨシムラ

MOT - 10/04/2015
TAX - 30/11/14
INSURANCE - MCE - Expires 12/04/2015 (Midnight)
ACCIDENT CALL - 0871 2227910
RAC - 0800 1977830 - 03_MCECAB90013033
TonyW650

Post by TonyW650 »

Reason for refusal of test certificate
001 Front brake pad (s) less than 1.5 mm thick [3.2.A1F(i)]

thats quoted off my fail sheet
pinkyfloyd

Post by pinkyfloyd »

seb421 wrote:
cybercarl wrote:

agree when i put brembos i thought my god these look like an MOT fail from the start!
Agreed here too. The brembo's seem to have no meat on them. Let my MOT guy tell me they are nearing the limit when I go next month and I'll ride the bike up his butt. The pads were new in last week! :lol:

So today, after getting my advisory last september :oops: for the rear brake disk and pads, (disk had a lip on it, pads nearing the limit) I finally got around to changing the bloody things! I'd just like to state for the record, I had a few problems but they all worked out well in the end. The problems were as follows:

1. Didnt have a socket big enough for the back wheel bolt. Ended up in Hallfrauds getting a giant spanner.

2. Brake disk would not be persuaded to come off. Solution was shedloads of WD40, a few cloths on the ground and an impact driver. It took enough twatting to make a a twatted tw@ take note! Eventually with several applications of WD40 and abuse with the driver the allen bolts gave in.

3. Master cylinder for the rear brake wouldnt play ball. More accurately one of the screws refused to give and ended up rounding. Solution: Syringe and a screwdriver. The screwdriver prised the opened side up enough to syringe the brake fluid into the res so I could bleed the brakes.

4: one of the pads went on wrong, the inside one, I did not realise at the time and was moving the bike and I heard the grind of pads on metal and had no stopping power. Hmmm I thought. Took the caliper off. Found out the problem and fixed it. No need to bleed the brake again as it turned out and I now have stopping power with the rear brake.

Hopefully thats one thing I wont fail on MOT next month.

I'd like to say thanks to Jazzscot for supplying me the brake disk, it is in better condition than my old one, which is now dumped. To anyone else in the Portsmouth area, If you need your brakes done I now have all the tools to change them including paddock stand, bleeding hoses and brake fluid and I am getting a dab hand at bleeding the buggers!
And if the band you're in starts playing different tunes, I'll see you on the dark side of the moon.
History:....CZ125....RXS100.....Lifan LF125-14F.....Suzuki GSXR750
Current:...1999 VTR FIRESTORM!