Suspension settings VTR

General Biker Banter
Ckennedy

Suspension settings VTR

Post by Ckennedy »

Evening all. I have owned my storm for a couple of months now and I do not seem to be able to settle with a single suspension setting. I am after you help and advice. I am only around 10stone maybe slightly more with leathers on. Yes I know very suited for a one piece suit :lol: I have read on here that the suspension is not the best as standard on the VTR but being my weight I would not have thought it would be such a problem for bloke who is as light as a feather. Does anyone have any set up suggestions I can try?
Many thanks in advance

Safe riding
Ckennedy
chric

Re: Suspension settings VTR

Post by chric »

be intresting to see what they come up with ill ask about me when they have done you 8)
Ill never be a sell out storm forever
Wicky

Post by Wicky »

http://www.vtwo.demon.co.uk/firestorm/firestorm.htm

or have a search for Performance Bikes set up - (forum search is a little iffy due to the hosting shifts) but this turned up
Here are the suggested settings from performance bike

Performance Bikes settings
Rear
Preload - Position 2
Rebound - ¼ of a turn out from full in
Front
Preload - 2nd groove showing
Rebound - ¼ of a turn out from full in

Hope it helps
Last edited by Wicky on Sat Apr 11, 2015 8:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
It may be that your whole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

ImageVTR Firestorm and other bikes t-shirts
scott02464

Post by scott02464 »

What is a Â?
Ckennedy

Post by Ckennedy »

That sounds really soft to me. But then again it is worth a try I suppose. Need to get a new C spanner first though.

Safe riding
Ckennedy
firestorm_al
Site Admin

Post by firestorm_al »

These are a couple of scans I made from Performance Bikes back in the day regarding the suspension on the VTR -

Page 1, Page 2

Al.
VTRDark

Post by VTRDark »

Copied and pasted from the superhawk site.
The rear shock is ballpark correct for a 220-230 pound rider, and while it's complete crap in outright adjustability, it will work decent for that weight... The front is right for a 100 pound rider, and you will not get the sag even close to correct unless you are under 115-120 pounds... So unless you miraculously match both weights at once, you have to compromise... Set the rear as soft as it will possibly go, and crank the front until you get it ballpark right...
It may give you an idea of what is there to deal with. If your only 10st you may just about be allright for the stock front. But the rear will most certainly be too stiff.

(:-})
==============================Enter the Darkside
Ckennedy

Post by Ckennedy »

Is there a suggested rear shock for someone of my weight. I do also ride 2 up a bit also so it would have to be suitable to make any adjustments needed for 2 of us.
Rob

Post by Rob »

Interested to. I'm about 11 1/2 stone.

Never touched it from new and to be honest I don't find it too bad. But then again I don't have a lot to compare it to and I'm probably just used to it.

Front does dive too much but the back feels ok....Blimey - it's soft compared to the Griso!

Scared to make it handle really badly and can't get it back right 8O
'02 VTR1000-FY Yellow.
'12 Moto Guzzi Griso 8V SE Tenni.
VTRDark

Post by VTRDark »

I'm about 11st and I find the rear OK But the front is way to soft. Iv'e had it bottom out a couple of times :eek2 I've not decided on whether to go the hole hog and put a Blade front end on or just buy some new springs and fresh oil. I will more than likely chuck some springs in as it the easiest and cheapest option. Though I do like the look of the beefy USD forks.

There is also the decision to make of whether to go linear or progressive. Linear being a constant spring rate all the way through, whereas progressive starts off as one rate getting stiffer the further the spring travels.

With regards to the rear, I'm not sure how you would work out the weight for either one person or riding two up. Normally when springs are bought they are for a specific weight. Maybe combine the two peoples weight and take what ever is in the middle and get a spring for what ever that is. At least there is the adjustability in the shock to maybe compensate with no pillion. There's obviously going to be a compromise somewhere.

Rob

Post by Rob »

cybercarl wrote: There is also the decision to make of whether to go linear or progressive. Linear being a constant spring rate all the way through, whereas progressive starts off as one rate getting stiffer the further the spring travels.
I have original fork oil so one of my jobs this winter is to change it. Might as well change the springs too - just bought some eibach progressive ones for my Civic (though haven't fitted them yet) so I like that idea :thumbup:

Seems to be no downside - they supposedly make the car comfier than standard but as they stiffen when cornering (compressed) make it handle better than standard. Need it after the 204BHP remap :D

Any info on who makes/sells the progressive springs?

Cheers,

Rob.
'02 VTR1000-FY Yellow.
'12 Moto Guzzi Griso 8V SE Tenni.
VTRDark

Post by VTRDark »

I think the majority of the ones that around on places like ebay are progressive. Hyperpro, etc etc. The easiest way to tell is just to look at the spring coils. But best to double check.

The coils on the linear springs will be the same distance apart all the way through and with progressive, the coils start out wide apart and as you get to the bottom they bunch up closer and closer together.

I think I will be going for the Ohlins http://www.intobikes.co.uk/products/000 ... n=39&pt=86 which are linear.

Progressive are more of an all round spring, good for touring and various conditions and linear are more precise to the rider weight and they give the same constant feel throughout but are more tricky to set up right.

firestorm_al
Site Admin

Post by firestorm_al »

I had linear Ohlins springs fitted to the forks on my Firestorm. They are easier to set up than progressive as the spring rate is constant throughout the fork travel.

At the rear end I had a WP emulsion shock witch had a softer spring than standard and much better damping control. I also had a 3mm spacer at the top shock mount.

Once you set up the static sag leave the preload alone and only alter it if the forks bottom out. After that just do small alterations to the rebound and at one end only between test rides.

Al.
VTRDark

Post by VTRDark »

I must admit setting up suspension properly according to weight is all new to me and I'm only going by what I have read.

As mine is all original spec at the moment I have a 6mm spacer in rear and I have drooped the forks 10mm to give me a better turn in. On the forks I have the preload on the last ring and the rebound a little off the hardest setting. I adjusted the rebound and preload when I first got the bike when it bottomed out after a pothole and a couple of speed humps. It's not bottomed out since but it's still too soft and springy. I have the rear one up from the softest setting and haven't messed with the rebound on rear.

I don't understand how Honda got the front and rear suspension settings so mis-matched. I realise they done it all on the cheap but to have the rear to stiff and the front too soft is just weird. Surly they could have found a middle ground.

One thing's for sure, when it comes to setting the sag I want three people around to help measure up. :lol:

warlock

Post by warlock »

all good to know information...