Raising Your Rear!

General Bike chat
Boubepo

Raising Your Rear!

Post by Boubepo »

I have been thinking of doing this using spacers, possibly using these spacers on ebay http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/HONDA-CBR1100 ... 203wt_1413

He is selling 3mm and 6mm spacers - I was thinking of ordering 2x 3mms so I can put one in at first, see how it goes, then possibly add the second to take me to 6mm.

Then I thought I'd just ask here first. Is it worth doing it as described above? or better to just bang in the 6mm spacer right from the start?

I realise the front springs could also do with replacing, for heavier duty springs to balance it all up but until I get around to that - 3mm or 6mm?

I also realise I could use adapted washers and raise by 2mm at a time but these easy looking spacers on ebay, appeal to lazy b@$***d like me :)
Ckennedy

Re: Raising Your Rear!

Post by Ckennedy »

I only have the 3mm spacer on mine and it is fine for me. 6mm seems like a hell of a lot as that is nearly an extra 20mm in height at the back end by the time it has been though the geometery of the bike. Could be worth getting 2x 3mm spacers and then you can decide which is better for you.
VTRDark

Post by VTRDark »

I have the standard forks and suspension on mine and put a 6mm spacer in the rear and dropped the forks 10mm which has vastly improved things for me and gives a much better turn into the bends. :thumbup: I guess it's personal preference really. At least if you have two 3mm spacers the option is there for either setup.

(:-})
==============================Enter the Darkside
gissmo50

Post by gissmo50 »

I have a 5mm spacer I made myself from some old stainless plate I had I'm also running a hyperpro rear spring and front forks with the times dropped 5mm down the tubes and it handles like it's on rails the spacer is well worth doing

Sent from my R800i using Tapatalk 2
lumpyv

Post by lumpyv »

here we go ! who,s going to start the sidestand deebate?

:lol: :lol:
3 out of 4 people make up 75% of the worlds population.
gissmo50

Post by gissmo50 »

Is this the to leave the storm one or replace for a blackbird item debate lol.

lumpyv

Post by lumpyv »

indeed !

cue photo,s of p1ssed looking firestorms
Boubepo

Post by Boubepo »

Got to say, I'm not too disappointed with the over all handling as it is, it seems to eat sweeping bends at 90 -110 with comfort [on decent roads] it's mainly the tighter bends on lesser roads with a cr@ppier surface where I feel the front end is a little soft. Having said that, if I can make some improvement to the rear end, for under a fiver......... It has to be done!
Rob

Post by Rob »

I haven't done this yet as I don't want to throw more weight forward onto my hands.

I think I'll be forced to fit straight bars due to problems with my thumbs then I'll try raising the back and lowering the front.
'02 VTR1000-FY Yellow.
'12 Moto Guzzi Griso 8V SE Tenni.
gissmo50

Post by gissmo50 »

I have to admit my name is kyran and I have a pissed firestorm....... That feels better

lumpyv

Post by lumpyv »

go for it mate, you can soon put it back to how it was if you dont like it.

at a lanky 5"7 i dont want the seat height any higher otherwise i would have a go.
VTRDark

Post by VTRDark »

I have to admit my name is kyran and I have a pissed firestorm....... That feels better
:lol: :lol: :lol: :clap: :clap: :beer: :biggrin

I still have the original sidestand on mine and have had no problems. I know some people have had issues with theirs. Maybe it's because I have dropped the forks as well. :thumbup:

Who wanted a picture. :roll:

Boubepo

Post by Boubepo »

cybercarl wrote:
:lol: :lol: :lol: :clap: :clap: :beer: :biggrin

I still have the original sidestand on mine and have had no problems. I know some people have had issues with theirs. Maybe it's because I have dropped the forks as well. :thumbup:

Who wanted a picture. :roll:

My bike seems to sit at the same angle as yours Carl, what's the side stand issue?
VTRDark

Post by VTRDark »

Some people have had issues with the bike leaning to far over when they raise the rear of the bike. But like I say, I have had no problems and have still have the original stand. But this I think this is because I have also lowered the forks. I was a bit concerned about it at first when I was thinking about adding the spacer and was planning on changing the stand but have had no need. :thumbup:

MacV2

Post by MacV2 »

Boubepo wrote:Got to say, I'm not too disappointed with the over all handling as it is, it seems to eat sweeping bends at 90 -110 with comfort [on decent roads] it's mainly the tighter bends on lesser roads with a cr@ppier surface where I feel the front end is a little soft. Having said that, if I can make some improvement to the rear end, for under a fiver......... It has to be done!

You won't be making any improvement to the rear end at all by fitting a spacer, the shock will still be rock hard. All the spacer does is raise the rear & therefore quicken the steering.

To improve the rear you need at the very least a weighted spring or better still a different shock with better adjustability...that's going to be a bit more than a fiver..

For a soft front, as you say, you need better fork springs but for a cheap fix try putting new oil in the forks, chances are it's never been changed.

Still be more than a fiver though with the price of oil these days !
Making up since 2007, sometimes it's true...Honest...