firestorm 50th anniversary with new home

New here? Come in and introduce yourself
Wicky

Re: firestorm 50th anniversary with new home

Post by Wicky »

Possibly the decals could be recreated but I'd need hi-res photos square on and with measurements of what needs doing.

I've got this from Yeti's bike from a workshop day - Is it the 'LIMITED EDITION V² 90° DOHC" Decal you need - if so give me the the measurements and I can create a vector file for it which you can made up & laser cut at a local to you vehicle vinyl graphics firm.

If you could get a big sheet of tracing paper and could trace the whole number board white part and the carbon effect part both for the lower tail piece and upper seat cowl (and post it to me - PM me for my email address) then I could make a file for that also - which a lot of folk have been after for yonks.

Last edited by Wicky on Thu Oct 04, 2012 11:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
It may be that your whole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

ImageVTR Firestorm and other bikes t-shirts
VTRDark

Post by VTRDark »

That's a good idea wicky, I wouldn't mind some anniversary number boards minus the Limited edition blah blah. I was thinking of doing the same myself at one stage by tracing Yetis.

Gold leaf :roll: that's just pure class. :lol:

(:-})
==============================Enter the Darkside
macdee

Post by macdee »

like your thinking wicky
the photo of the round anniversary is spot on
i will get the rear plate traced and send the result to you asap
when i looked closely at the carbon if seems to be a gloss finish print of carbon fiber and a quick reference to ebay would be very cheap to buy on the other hand 3m is doing carbon fiber effect vinyl (the weave has a 3D effect ) which looks allot better quality but may not be as original, maybe as time has passed better vinyl is available but i don't how it would look if trying to keep as close to original as possible.
my brother has a very camera equipment so he's going to be dragged in to sort this side of things is there any other bit in bobs you need
photos of for your records
yeti has replied to my rants to tell me that the vtr and 50th logos are gold leaf it might b good to have a quick chat with him as he said he was working on a replacement
thanks for the reply
:thumbup:
told you not to but oh no you knew better
Wicky

Post by Wicky »

The digital vector files are really just scaleable outlines which the printers you need to use will use to cut out from the appropriate vinyl sheet which you need to specify to them and match as best you can from what they have in stock or source from a 3rd party.

The gold chrome vinyl isn't a problem - but there is a process where they can print on vinyl any other colour using a hi-tech injet printer but unfortunately it doesn't work on metallic effect vinyls. So a way round it to recreate the original decal is to get a disk of gold chrome vinyl, apply that then apply over it accurately another disk of transparent vinyl layer with the printed lettering in black . :D

So on that principle the decals vectors I can supply will be multi part for the different colours and effects and will need careful and accurate measuring and final placement

PM me so you can send me photos of the damage and what needs rectifying - and take lots of relative measurements to decal placement and their scale & size.
It may be that your whole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

YETI

Post by YETI »

HANG ON !! thats my bike !!!
it is gold leaf dont go down the vinly route , i did look at it and it looks cr*p
next to the original , thats why i had my bloke knock my tank decals up in gold leaf
and they are a perfect match to the original , but a bugger to lay on as they dont
move around as well as standard decals / they wrinkle and you only get one go :thumbdown:
i didnt get a chance to ring my bloke to see what the situation was ref these today but i will
try and contact him tomorrow to see if hes done any yet / i hadnt been in a rush for these
as i have more pressing bits to sort .
do i have copy right on the photos of my bike ? actually impleased they can
be used like this its a realy good resource to have , your a clever man mr wicky . :thumbup:

YETI..

Wicky

Post by Wicky »

Cheers Yeti - What graphics files have you got - all the tail decals?

anyhoo

Here's the first one I've done

Preview

PDF
https://dl.dropbox.com/u/45241626/Tail%20Decal.pdf

Just needs sizing to a fraction larger than a gold vinyl disk cut to the correct size and carefully overlaying so the black border just covers the gold disk edge.
Last edited by Wicky on Thu Oct 04, 2012 11:56 am, edited 5 times in total.

Wicky

Post by Wicky »

Last edited by Wicky on Thu Oct 04, 2012 12:54 am, edited 3 times in total.

Wicky

Post by Wicky »

Preview

PDF
http://cl.ly/1a2m2r182R1y

This will need either printing out in one piece on transparent vinyl, or the 'V' should be done in black vinyl and the' 2' printed on clear vinyl then carefully applied.
Last edited by Wicky on Wed Oct 03, 2012 9:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Wicky

Post by Wicky »

Xenocide

Post by Xenocide »

You beautiful b8stard
'98 VTR (Red - the quickest)
'94 KTM LC4 400e
'69 Land Rover S2 Lightweight
Trowbridge & Surrounding Areas Lawn Mower Servicing & Repairs
tony.mon

Post by tony.mon »

YETI wrote:HANG ON !!
do i have copy right on the photos of my bike ? actually impleased they can
be used like this its a realy good resource to have , your a clever man mr wicky . :thumbup:

YETI..
HANG ON!!
That's my drive.
Me too in the compensation queue, it there's blame, there's a windfall :lol: :lol:

Well done, Wicky, good to know those hours spent on the Apple wearing your mac aren't in vain.
Now we can all have an Anniversary one.
Can you also make a few variations?
I'd like one saying "50th Anniversay of Tony last cleaning his bike". :cool2
It's not falling off, it's an upgrade opportunity.
Wicky

Post by Wicky »

VTRDark

Post by VTRDark »

Image :)

:lol: :lol:

tony.mon

Post by tony.mon »

cybercarl wrote:
Image :)

:lol: :lol:

Oh, joy!
Can that be just printed off and sent to a sticker printer, or would it have to be vectored?
It's not falling off, it's an upgrade opportunity.
VTRDark

Post by VTRDark »

That was just a PNG file, but here's a PDF which would be better for getting printed off.
http://www.mediafire.com/?qchhh40g1c4iw51

Getting some printers to print the metallic effect is more expensive and can be tricky. But if it was done with a regular two colour printer the background would be a grey graduation. There's always the option of getting an A4 sheet of injet printer sticky label paper/card and just printing it off at home. Then laminate or lacquer over it.