Farécla G3 or G6 Rubbing Compund

General Bike chat
pariah

Re: Farécla G3 or G6 Rubbing Compund

Post by pariah »

carl
I wuld use ultra fine wet n dry paper with water with a small amount of fairy liquid added it. this will help it slide and not clogg the paper as much. Also, do the final denibing before the finish gets to hard.
This will let a lot of the flatting makes decrease while drying . Thus it will not require as much efort when coming to polish.
VTRDark

Post by VTRDark »

That's great thanks. I had the surface rubbed down with 1200 before the final coat of lacquer and it was as smooth as glass. After applying the final coat of petrol resistant lacquer it has dried with a bit more Orange peel than I would like.

It's weird because when using the non petrol resistant Simoniz I never had this problem. That applied and dried spot on, with a nice smooth glossy finish. The petrol resistant stuff is another animal. TBH I'm not that impressed with it, but considering it's rattle cans it's probably not all that bad.

So you think I'm best to jump straight in and use the 2000grit and get the worst off before using the rubbing compounds. I might crack on and do that over the weekend then. I should think a good 24-48 hours is long enough for it to go off. It's been a very slow process all the prep and painting. It's dragging on to about a month now and I am so looking forward to getting it all back on the bike.

(:-})
==============================Enter the Darkside
pariah

Post by pariah »

The prep is more important than painting, all mistakes show through paint work.

crack on with the de nibing now Not much pressure will be needed if you do it now before fully hardened., stay away from any sharp edges with the paper. Paper + polish on sharp edges = Rub through ?
Use small side to side motion on main paint work with small circular spot motion on small lumps.
Rattle cans will take longer to fully harden as there only single pack which no hardener is added during the mixing process. IE air dry ?
VTRDark

Post by VTRDark »

Got the 2000 grit out and de-nibbed everything, rubbing down and got rid of the slight orange peel left behind by the lacquer. If only we still had VOC's in paint then this would not be so much of a problem as the paints, I suspect, would have flowed better.

Latest pics

Fuel tank before a rub down

And after

Close up's
I didn't want to be to aggressive with the rubbing down as I believe it's a case of less is more, considering rattle can paint jobs don't have as much depth and thickness to it, and the rubbing compounds will be removing more microns of paint.

I'm really looking forward to the Menzerna compounds turning up now so I can get busy polishing it all up. I'm going to hand polish the more course compounds and possibly use my drill with the finer coats and for buffing it all up.

VTRDark

Post by VTRDark »

3m polish, paint finish, cutting compound, t cut, spraying, buffing

Just adding some words to make it more searchable :!: