Camchain Tensioner Scary Stories

General Bike chat
scott02464

Re: Camchain Tensioner Scary Stories

Post by scott02464 »

Rob wrote:
scott02464 wrote:That's a lot of stopper mods ha!

I can't believe how many people that haven't bothered to look up the potential faults on their bikes then come running for help when all goes wrong.... :-(
This is a Honda, not an old British bike. I bought mine new happy that it had Honda's build quality and reliability.
Yeah and I bought a volvo because they are 'safe, reliable and indestructible'... They are riddled with suspension problems. But if i naively drive around believing all the promotional reviews ill soon be having a huge bill for all the suspension parts that need replacing before Mot time.

Just cos is a jap bike don't make it bomb proof if you don't look after it properly!
Kev L

Post by Kev L »

Have you checked the REG/REC as well Image? Don't want you worrying about the other flaw in the Storms design. :wave:
Carpe diem, quam minimum credula postero
F3, 954 USD front, K Tech springs, Braced swinger, Penske shock, Six spoke Mockesini wheels, Harris rearsets, QaT, Flywheel diet!, A&L stacks, stick coils, K&N, FP Ti jets, lashings of Ti & CF
Rob

Post by Rob »

scott02464 wrote:
Rob wrote:
scott02464 wrote:That's a lot of stopper mods ha!

I can't believe how many people that haven't bothered to look up the potential faults on their bikes then come running for help when all goes wrong.... :-(
This is a Honda, not an old British bike. I bought mine new happy that it had Honda's build quality and reliability.
Yeah and I bought a volvo because they are 'safe, reliable and indestructible'... They are riddled with suspension problems. But if i naively drive around believing all the promotional reviews ill soon be having a huge bill for all the suspension parts that need replacing before Mot time.

Just cos is a jap bike don't make it bomb proof if you don't look after it properly!
Thanks, I look after mine so no CCT failure then. :thumbup:

Obviously explains why I haven't had a failure - just all the others who don't look after them properly :wtf:

You would never buy anything if you just read negative reviews. Everything has problems and I stand by what I've said before that forums generally make most things look a lot worse than what they are because of people joining only when they have problems. I've had my bike since new, 10 years 25K miles nothing, has gone wrong that you couldn't class as consumables.

I'm pretty confident that if you contact every Storm seller on BikeTrader then most of them will have never heard about CCT failures and wont have changed the CCT's or know if they have been changed.

They do fail and it's worth considering that and taking precautions but I don't thinks it's inevitable they will fail.

I have a 2007 Honda Civic that I've had for over 3 years - that has had many more problems than my bike, enough that I will never buy a Honda car again. Probably not a bike either.
'02 VTR1000-FY Yellow.
'12 Moto Guzzi Griso 8V SE Tenni.

Post by Image »

Rob, those cans really are good. I don't think them number plates are legal though!
Kev, R/R fine and hunky dory.
I know what you mean Rob. All vehicles have notorious faults but it doesn't mean it's going to happen. I think I'll go with the stopper mod though.

Anyone got a pic of the 8mm bar fitted?
VTRDark

Post by VTRDark »

Rob your pretty much right in what your saying. but the problem is if one has a CCT failure it's going to cost a lot of money to fix, possibly a new engine. There are loads of people that have had failure's here in the UK and the rest of the world. Just look on ebay and how often do you see engine's for sale because of CCT failure. Most of them with no front cylinder head, which is the more common one to fail, and most of them probably the people who bought a VTR and did not become a member on a forum where they could be pre-warned so they can take preventive measures. There's even a seller on ebay selling a complete CCT failure repair kit at the moment including head, all ready to go straight on. It's a rear cylinder though which is a shame. :lol:

There is no early warning that there is going to be a failure, so it's not like you can leave it and when it starts to rattle a bit, change the CCT. Some have had a failure with less then 10,000 on the bike and some with a lot more. Some have gone on to 70-80 though with no problems at all. There is just no logic to it. Touch wood it don't happen, but you could go out next week and bang you have a failure. So where's that leave you. A major headache and expense. When all you have to do is either spend nothing, well 50p for a couple of bolts, and do a stopper mod or spend £40 and fit manuals. Peace of mind and a lot cheaper than a rebuild.

Honda supposedly fixed the later models and CCT's you buy as replacements which have an Orange dot painted on the side of them, but people have had these fail and Honda cannot back their claims that they fixed them.

I'm coming around to the idea that the stopper mod is the best option. Too many people are not mechanically minded enough and have problems with either fitting properly or the adjustment with manuals. I cringe every time I hear someone has overtightened their manuals or it is so loose it's rattling when they don't even understand the workings of an engine and the consequences of these things.

(:-})
==============================Enter the Darkside

Post by Image »

Anyone got a pic of the 8mm bar in situ?
Wicky

Post by Wicky »

The Workshop Knowledgebase http://www.vtr1000.org/phpBB3/viewforum.php?f=31

CCT (Cam Chain Tensioner) Fail Safe Mod. (aka Stopper Mod) http://www.vtr1000.org/phpBB3/viewtopic ... 31&t=19416

It may be that your whole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

ImageVTR Firestorm and other bikes t-shirts
VTRDark

Post by VTRDark »

Have a listen to Robs cans here
[youtube][/youtube]

The bolt gets cut to size (both CCT's will be a different length) and literally slides down the hollow shaft on the right hand side of the pic where you see the hole that the roll pin slides through. A rivet works well for tapping the roll pin out. You will need to get someone to hold the CCT or put it in a vice to tap it out, and don't drop the pin or you will be getting a magnifying glass out to find it, :lol: So best to do it over a work surface. It's better to cut the bolt on the large size and use an angle grinder or bench grinder to shave a bit off at a time until you get the length spot on so that when you slide the plunger head back on the pin slides through smoothly. You will need to tap the pin back in with a hammer or as I done, squeeze it back in with adjustable grips. It's a tight fit. :thumbup:

You may want to invest in one of these instead of making one. http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Cam-timing-ch ... 416c58008b :wink:

chemomche

Post by chemomche »

I thought that cct failure is overrated and is something odd to happen. However, i get another pair ot OEM ccts and made them manual. I did not installed them, because i was not sure is this mode is really needed. But i just after i put new oil and new battery i tried my storm of the track. On the second session i heart -clap, clap, clap.... i engaged the clutch and shut the bike down.
I got my trackday screwed. My bike screwed. Cost me 2 bent valves, new head gasket, new valve seals, shims and a couple of months in the garage + the manual ccts. So be aware, it can happen to you too.
chric

Post by chric »

so you had manuals fail?
Ill never be a sell out storm forever
VTRDark

Post by VTRDark »

so you had manuals fail?
No he bought new auto's and converted them to manuals (like Bazza's) but hadn't fitted them. Buying new ones for that don't make sense to me but hey ho.

Post by Image »

Ref the ebay link, is that the actual stopper bar itself or a tool for adjustment?
MacV2

Post by MacV2 »

Image wrote:Ref the ebay link, is that the actual stopper bar itself or a tool for adjustment?
No it's a locking tool, locks off the CCT so that it's in the correct position when you remove it.

You seriously need to sit & read this ...

http://www.vtr1000.org/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=31&t=8326

& this...

http://www.vtr1000.org/phpBB3/viewtopic ... 31&t=19416

Print them both off & take your time reading them fully so that you understand what you are doing.

If you do not feel confidant doing it, find someone on here who is local to you & either pay them to do the job or bribe them with tea/coffee/whisky/vodka to stand behind you & guide you through the process.

For what it's worth IMO manuals are the better option & Bazza converted manuals win on price any day.

I see from your location that your near Bunny, er I mean Benny,contact him I'm sure he'll take a bribe (allegedly) I think his tipple is babycham & cranberry juice :wink:
Making up since 2007, sometimes it's true...Honest...
VTRDark

Post by VTRDark »

Good advice Mac. :thumbup: and your reasoning for manuals being better (correct me if I'm wrong) is that once manuals are fitted properly, you are done and dusted with them as they will not fail or need any attention ie adjustment for 20,000, or more than likely your next valve clearance check. Where as with the stopper mod, they can still fail but wont cause any damage and will need replacing again.

Fitted properly is why I am coming around to the idea of the stopper mod. Can you imagine the problems the likes of mr image (no offence meant) will have setting the tension correctly with all this talk of finger tight, if asking questions like this.
Ref the ebay link, is that the actual stopper bar itself or a tool for adjustment?
:eek2

lloydie

Post by lloydie »

if i was to do mine over again it would be the stopper mod and not manuals .