anyone got breakdown cover?

General Biker Banter
cheekykev

Re: anyone got breakdown cover?

Post by cheekykev »

If you've got a car or not just join the RAC or AA it will cover you for your bike as well, it covers you personally whatever you’re driving or riding, even covers you if you are a passenger in someone car bike etc.
The ones they offer you from the insurance companies are not worth bothering with, you'll find that out the first time you need them, after a certain distance they charge you per mile and then charge you for recovery and believe me it’s not cheap, they never tell you this when they're trying to sell it to you :thumbdown:
Like what you do
Do what you like
He who wonders isn't always lost
Wicky

Post by Wicky »

cheekykev wrote:If you've got a car or not just join the RAC or AA it will cover you for your bike as well, it covers you personally whatever you’re driving or riding, even covers you if you are a passenger in someone car bike etc.
The ones they offer you from the insurance companies are not worth bothering with, you'll find that out the first time you need them, after a certain distance they charge you per mile and then charge you for recovery and believe me it’s not cheap, they never tell you this when they're trying to sell it to you :thumbdown:
I've looked through the terms and conditions of the Carole Nash breakdown cover but can't see anything about a distance limit - funnily enough they use the AA for UK homestart, roadside assistance and vehicle recovery.

http://www.carolenash.com/wp-content/do ... akdown.pdf

Interestingly from another forum
The cover you get with a Carole Nash policy includes accident recovery as well as breakdown, I was delighted to discover. Previously when I was with the AA their cover didn't, they were able to arrange it it with a 3rd party but charged for it.
and
Like an earlier poster I have 'free breakdown cover' with the RAC as part of my MCE insurance, but I forgot to read the offer correctly; it only covers you for up to 10 miles from home. Imagine my joy in discovering this when I found myself stranded 18 miles from home.
http://www.bikersoracle.com/vfr/forum/a ... 17232.html

AA doesn't cover for breakdown recovery any vehicle if they are more than 10 years old - so that would rule out any 97-01 Firestorms :thumbdown: .

Vehicles which can be covered under AA Breakdown Repair Cover: Pg 11

http://www.theaa.com/breakdown-cover/pd ... y-2011.pdf
It may be that your whole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

ImageVTR Firestorm and other bikes t-shirts
toonarmy

Post by toonarmy »

just renewed with carole nash got uk and euro breakdown free
VTRDark

Post by VTRDark »

AA doesn't cover for breakdown recovery any vehicle if they are more than 10 years old - so that would rule out any 97-01 Firestorms :thumbdown: .
So basically the AA and RAC are just as big a con as the insurance companies themselves. All insurance companies are doing is using it as a sales pitch and when it come down to the crunch it's not worth a pinch of salt.

So basically if anyone wants proper breakdown, roadside assistance with no hidden costs etc they need to but direct form the AA or whatever and pays your moneys or get sh1t.

I think an insurance company offering free breakdown etc would put me off as there are got to be hidden charges somewhere cause you don't get anything for nothing in this world. It's like when the checkout at the supermarket asks have you got a loyalty card. I say "no, not interested in all that rubbish, I would rather you reduced the prices of the products in the first place."

(:-})
==============================Enter the Darkside
Wicky

Post by Wicky »

All I can say is that I've never had a problem with using Carole Nash's recovery - I have never had to pay any surcharge for getting recovered for any distance wether 1.6 miles or 100 miles.
It may be that your whole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

ImageVTR Firestorm and other bikes t-shirts
Furrybiker

Post by Furrybiker »

Be warned, a lady on a ride out yesterday managed to throw her bike into a ditch, she was unhurt.

She called the AA only to be told they would not recover her as it was an RTA, they would only cover a breakdown!

By this time she nearly having a breakdown of her own 8O

Just reading the RAC Terms and Conditions they are the same.
bigyincolin1

Post by bigyincolin1 »

BigVeeGrin wrote:And if so what are your thoughts on the best deal, provided etc?
I went with RAC, home start, break down, onward travel, euro cover, bed for the night, car hire for 2 days, even throw in a tooth brush (joke) £89....AA and RAC are the only ones ive had that actually tried to fix my bike at the road side, most just hook it up and go.........
bigyincolin1

Post by bigyincolin1 »

Furrybiker wrote:Be warned, a lady on a ride out yesterday managed to throw her bike into a ditch, she was unhurt.

She called the AA only to be told they would not recover her as it was an RTA, they would only cover a breakdown!

Must be a policy thing,
my last policy was with MCE, with rac cover, I got taken out on 1st sept 2012, wife called up the RAC, they came straight down, picked up the bits and off they went
Furrybiker

Post by Furrybiker »

bigyincolin1 wrote:
Furrybiker wrote:Be warned, a lady on a ride out yesterday managed to throw her bike into a ditch, she was unhurt.

Must be a policy thing,
my last policy was with MCE, with rac cover, I got taken out on 1st sept 2012, wife called up the RAC, they came straight down, picked up the bits and off they went
Definitely, if you can offer a company hundreds or thousands of members they will bend over backwards.