iron butt challange

General Bike chat
skyman

iron butt challange

Post by skyman »

Hi all this may come under general chat, but has anyone done the iron butt challenge for the royal britiish legion ? if so could i have your thoughts as i thought about it last year but had the gpz nicked, now back on the road with the storm and now turned 50 this oct , reckon i ought to give it a go while i can,I have given it a lot of thought but the reallity of doing 1000 miles in 24 hrs is quite daunting especialy with a 1999 storm with a ANNOYING LIGHT THAT SAYS I NEED FUEL :confused would welcome any advice or if someone wants to do it with me please let me know :D , havent registered yet I am willing to do either north or south route , hoping for advice :thumbup:
seb421

Re: iron butt challange

Post by seb421 »

skyman wrote:Hi all this may come under general chat, but has anyone done the iron butt challenge for the royal britiish legion ? if so could i have your thoughts as i thought about it last year but had the gpz nicked, now back on the road with the storm and now turned 50 this oct , reckon i ought to give it a go while i can,I have given it a lot of thought but the reallity of doing 1000 miles in 24 hrs is quite daunting especialy with a 1999 storm with a ANNOYING LIGHT THAT SAYS I NEED FUEL :confused would welcome any advice or if someone wants to do it with me please let me know :D , havent registered yet I am willing to do either north or south route , hoping for advice :thumbup:
its only 10 fuel stops or so

you would probably welcome the stops too
ヨシムラ

MOT - 10/04/2015
TAX - 30/11/14
INSURANCE - MCE - Expires 12/04/2015 (Midnight)
ACCIDENT CALL - 0871 2227910
RAC - 0800 1977830 - 03_MCECAB90013033
skyman

Post by skyman »

its only 10 fuel stops or so

you would probably welcome the stops too[/quote]

when you say it like that :D reckon i will need all 10 plus a couplw more to stretch my aging legs and relieve my aching wrists but i suppose if it was easy wouldnt be worth doing
mr.john.coates

Post by mr.john.coates »

I've not done the Iron Butt, but I did the ACU challenge thing (or whatever it was called) 2 years back and did a total of 800 miles in 24 hours on my Deauville. It was an experience I'd not care to repeat because, by the end you are so mentally fatigued you aren't really safe.

If you do it, go with supportive friend(s) - If I'd have been on my own I'd have given up. The best bit was the massive full English on the Sunday morning we rewarded ourselves with :D
NT650V in Red
VTR1000R in Blue
Pushbike in Yellow
Wife in Bed
AMCQ46

Post by AMCQ46 »

I am sure a few of our older [not age, but how long they have been on here] members did this last year, dont know if any are still active but Cupasoup did meet up with them on the run so he might be able to point you to a few who did this on a Storm.
AMcQ
AMCQ46

Post by AMCQ46 »

AMcQ
MacKrell17

Post by MacKrell17 »

Hi mate, I did the iron butt challenge in 2010 on the storm with the wife on the back.

It's good fun but also hard work. They do recommend that you buddy up so worth going the day before to meet potential riding buddies.

So what would I recommend...

Good winter gloves as it gets cold at night.
Upgrade the seat. Mine has gel inserts.
Take visor cleaner, headlight cleaner etc...
A 1 litre emergency fuel can helps with piece of mind
Lucozade tablets and redbull shots help keep you wired.
Extra clothing and keep it in a waterproof bag

Then the usual travel stuff.... First aid kit, spare bulbs, puncture repair, fully charged mobile,

Also don't underestimate this, it is hard..... But when you do it the sense of achievement is brilliant and what a great cause! :thumbup:
BigVeeGrin

Post by BigVeeGrin »

MacKrell17 wrote: Also don't underestimate this, it is hard..... But when you do it the sense of achievement is brilliant and what a great cause! :thumbup:
sh1t, indeed it is. Nearly 42 mph on average without any stops 8O
skyman

Post by skyman »

MacKrell17 wrote:Hi mate, I did the iron butt challenge in 2010 on the storm with the wife on the back.

It's good fun but also hard work. They do recommend that you buddy up so worth going the day before to meet potential riding buddies.

So what would I recommend...

Good winter gloves as it gets cold at night.
Upgrade the seat. Mine has gel inserts.
Take visor cleaner, headlight cleaner etc...
A 1 litre emergency fuel can helps with piece of mind
Lucozade tablets and redbull shots help keep you wired.
Extra clothing and keep it in a waterproof bag

Then the usual travel stuff.... First aid kit, spare bulbs, puncture repair, fully charged mobile,
thank you great advice , and believe me i am not taking it lightly hence starting to get advice from riders like your self now so I can be as best prepared as possible :thumbup:

Also don't underestimate this, it is hard..... But when you do it the sense of achievement is brilliant and what a great cause! :thumbup:
VTRDark

Post by VTRDark »

Nearly 42 mph on average without any stops
Now that is a challenge but surly you are allowed to stop for fuel and a quick fag and cup of coffee. The low speed would put me right off doing something like that. :( the 1000 mile is not so bad with fuel,fag and coffee break but 42mph :eek2

(:-})
==============================Enter the Darkside
cupasoop
Site Admin

Post by cupasoop »

AMCQ46 wrote:but Cupasoup did meet up with them on the run so he might be able to point you to a few who did this on a Storm.
He didnt meet up with them, he completed it himself. By the way zrx1100's have a worse tank range than storms (well mine did) so dont sweat the fuel issue.
Rich.