Head Bearings

Need advice on which oil to use or which tyre best suits you? Share your topic and get help here.
darrenmartin

Head Bearings

Post by darrenmartin »

Hi all :wave: im about to change the head bearings on me old girl and see iv got to use a "stearing stem socket" ...... :problem: i aint got one so is there anything i can use instead. :thumbup: thanks guys oh and photos of the bearing change to follow. i took adice from you guys and im replacing the ball bearings with needle roller type. :wave:
Like Riding Thunder and Lightning
scott02464

Re: Head Bearings

Post by scott02464 »

darrenmartin wrote:Hi all :wave: im about to change the head bearings on me old girl and see iv got to use a "stearing stem socket" ...... :problem: i aint got one so is there anything i can use instead. :thumbup: thanks guys oh and photos of the bearing change to follow. i took adice from you guys and im replacing the ball bearings with needle roller type. :wave:
Hi mate, do you mean the castle nut? I just used a large screw driver and hammer to undo mine, just tap it round.

Or the large nut with the black cap on? I think it's a 27mm socket but not 100% sure, it was a while since I did mine lol but someone will confirm this soon :lol:
popkat

Post by popkat »

You don't need one, with just the yokes in place do the castle type nut up tight by hand then back off an eighth of a turn. when you have the rest of the front end on and tightened up check for play with the wheel off the ground, if you feel any clonking or movement loosen the top yoke and tighten up a bit. There should be little or no resistance to side to side steering movement, if it's stiff or slow loosen the castle nut.
Always do your check with the top yoke fully tightened.
http://www.bidefordmotorcycles.co.uk
2014 CRMC Post classic Superbike champion.
2014 CRMC Post classic senior production champion. On a Suzuki Katana 1100
My bikes, Firestorm, Suzuki GSX-s1000 Katana, VFR800Fi. Projects, 1986 popup Katana, 3 XJ600’s
BigVeeGrin

Post by BigVeeGrin »

The very knowledgeable Mr McQ helped with mine at a workshop day. His top tip is to mark the yoke and nut with a marker pen at the position you think is good, prior to fine tuning, that way you have something to go back to, a kind of reference point.
darrenmartin

Post by darrenmartin »

very good idea the old referance mark ill give it a go nice 1 and thanks lads :thumbup:
AMCQ46

Post by AMCQ46 »

as said, the castle nuts dont need a fancy tool, a punch [or a screwdriver] and a hammer will do fine.

setting instructions here
http://www.vtr1000.org/phpBB3/viewtopic ... 31&t=15681
AMcQ
darrenmartin

Post by darrenmartin »

:thumbup: AMcQ, cheers buddy.
tony.mon

Post by tony.mon »

You can knock the old bearings out with a long bar, but then if you grind a smidgeon off the outside diameter you can use the old races to drift in the new ones, to stop accidentally denting them with a hammer.
It's not falling off, it's an upgrade opportunity.
darrenmartin

Post by darrenmartin »

iv got the old ones out without much bother, the new races for the needle bearings are "deeper" i asume because the set was for a VTR these will fit ok :think:
tony.mon

Post by tony.mon »

darrenmartin wrote:iv got the old ones out without much bother, the new races for the needle bearings are "deeper" i asume because the set was for a VTR these will fit ok :think:
Yep, that's normal, as they have to allow for the length of the rollers rather than balls.
Just seat them into the stem down to the ledge; you can feel with a fingernail whether they're home but the hammer note changes as well, once they seat.
It's not falling off, it's an upgrade opportunity.
Xenocide

Post by Xenocide »

I just slice right through the old bearing race with an angle grinder to make it smaller to hammer in the new one.
'98 VTR (Red - the quickest)
'94 KTM LC4 400e
'69 Land Rover S2 Lightweight
Trowbridge & Surrounding Areas Lawn Mower Servicing & Repairs