GPS

General Bike chat
Fester

GPS

Post by Fester »

Anyone got GPS fitted to their Storm? 8O Ok, stop laughing, it IS a sport/tourer you know :wink:

Just wondering how you fitted it to the bars, if there is anyone out thar with one! :D
fester
Bink

Post by Bink »

... GPS ... Gas Petrol Station finder ? :wink:
robin1000

Post by robin1000 »

With the amount of stops for petrol cos of the small tank, you won't need GPS. You'll have plenty of time to get a map out!! :wink:
Bikes and scorned women don't mix!
Squiffythewombat

Post by Squiffythewombat »

i have GPS on my phone (a920) and it has saved me on more than one occasion when lost in leicester and london, its a free bit of software, the only down side is you have to have a tank bag with clear section and good eyes to read it even though it has a large lcd screen. The phone and gps software can be found on ebay for as little as 45squid, including the fact you can handwrite your text messages on the touch screen, use the internet, all the usal cam/pic messaging it really is a great phone. and cost a lot less than a tom tom or something (although you can run the tom tom software on it).

Just my 2p...
Squiffy_The_Wombat

Eagles may soar but wombats dont get sucked into jet engines!!
trebs

Post by trebs »

GPS on the bike isn't so daft. I've seen some people with waterproof housings for PDA's. Even seen one wedged under the screen of a fireblade.
It'd need aux power but I guess that's not such a prob.
The only mounts I've seen online are huge ugly things that'd suit a BMW ok, but not a firestorm.
Until I've found a nice looking mount I keep mine in my rucksac and use it if I get really stuck.
I must admit, having used it in the car for ages I got really slack at remembering my route.
If I see something I'll surely post it.

Rob.
RQ

Post by RQ »

RQ.
The Stig of 2 wheels as well as 4 !
t00lkit

Garmin SP3

Post by t00lkit »

Got a Garmin StreetPilot 3 fitted to my Storm.

I sent for a special fixing unit from the States that fits to the clip-ons, it looks the biz but cost the earth, wait for it..... £110, then I got stung for a £34 import duty! It's made out of aluminium and has a milled base plate to mount the plastic clip holder that comes with the SP3.

I also got a bike power lead to save it running on AA's

The SP3 is fully waterproof and can be bought on e-bay second hand for about £250, or £450 new (but the model is now discontinued, replaced by the 2610.

Let me know if you want any more info.
t00lkit.
T00lkit
Red F2, Scorpion Race Cans, Nuvo Airflow Screen, GSG Moko Crash Protectors, Carbon Hugger by Del, Scottoiler.
Fester

GPS

Post by Fester »

toolkit - where did you get the bracket from, dew mind saying?

Seems the Garmin 'Quest' is the one I see talked about most with bikes in mind - but as trebs said, the mount is important as I don't wanna look like a BMW! :o
fester
t00lkit

GPS Mount

Post by t00lkit »

Fester

I got my bracket from GPS For Less, posted from the US.

Web links are:

http://shop.store.yahoo.com/gpsforless/ ... itiii.html

http://shop.store.yahoo.com/gpsforless/baseplatei.html

You should be able to navigate the site from these.
You should get a plastic clip with your garmin that allows you to use it in the car, this mounts onto the above baseplate.

Can't post any pics of my bike cause the sites not working.
Hope it helps.
t00lkit.
T00lkit
Red F2, Scorpion Race Cans, Nuvo Airflow Screen, GSG Moko Crash Protectors, Carbon Hugger by Del, Scottoiler.