Mille R

General Bike chat
Jbrebel

Mille R

Post by Jbrebel »

Hi all. Not been on here for a while-had a flirt with a SP1 and a Buell during my sebattical. Hope everyones are well!

Anyway, Buells off to Germany shortly-need something cheaper.

Looking at an early Mille R (2001-2003)

Anyone had one? How do they compare to the Storm/SP et al. I've had a TL and the rest...

Looking at servicing/power & torque/handling/useability. Yes, its a sportsbike.

Cheers

:beer:
SP1's rock!
seb421

Re: Mille R

Post by seb421 »

you not like the 2004 model better mate? RSV1000R think the bike was improved a bunch as well then and the power upped too
ヨシムラ

MOT - 10/04/2015
TAX - 30/11/14
INSURANCE - MCE - Expires 12/04/2015 (Midnight)
ACCIDENT CALL - 0871 2227910
RAC - 0800 1977830 - 03_MCECAB90013033
Jbrebel

Post by Jbrebel »

Ummmmnnnnn...not sure-prefer the older/fatter model (a bit like me :D)

Don't they loose recorded mileage?

Seen some in budget-think I can grab a nice low mileage 1st gen for decent ££££ though...
SP1's rock!
benny hedges

Post by benny hedges »

theyre awesome bikes - go for the factory though with ohlins all round and oz wheels

the older ones do lose mileage when theyre run flat so you'd want to see some history and mot's etc.
You do not have to say anything. But it may harm your defence if you do not mention when posting something which you later rely on in quote. Anything you do say may be ripped to sh*t.
thumperslaw

Post by thumperslaw »

benny hedges wrote:theyre awesome bikes - go for the factory though with ohlins all round and oz wheels

the older ones do lose mileage when theyre run flat so you'd want to see some history and mot's etc.
There not full ohlins on them :wink:

clutch M/C leaks if not been repaired already and clocks suffer
98 storm with goodies!

Srad seven fiddy stuntbike

K100 "flying brick"

R.I.P engine number 5
geodude

Post by geodude »

thumperslaw wrote:
eh? the "Factory" versions came with Ohlins forks and rear shock :?:
“Only by constantly developing your insight and knowledge can you fulfil your responsibility to ride safely and effectively”
“He who rides fastest, rides alone!"
YouTube Website Facebook Bike accessories
thumperslaw

Post by thumperslaw »

geodude wrote:
thumperslaw wrote:
eh? the "Factory" versions came with Ohlins forks and rear shock :?:

I've pulled some apart (front forks) they are only gold lowers on them unlike real ohlins they are full gold nitro
98 storm with goodies!

K100 "flying brick"

R.I.P engine number 5
hugeduck

Post by hugeduck »

my brother got a 1999 or 2000 one (cant remember) and for me the storm was ten times better. the ride was so hard and it felt like i was sat on the bloody tank lol. we had a few little drag races and we were head to head all the way so nothing in the power either. and now ive put cbr brakes on the storm i reckon the braking is just as good. but each to their own :thumbup:

perfect time of year to buy one though
seb421

Post by seb421 »

hugeduck wrote:my brother got a 1999 or 2000 one (cant remember) and for me the storm was ten times better. the ride was so hard and it felt like i was sat on the bloody tank lol. we had a few little drag races and we were head to head all the way so nothing in the power either. and now ive put cbr brakes on the storm i reckon the braking is just as good. but each to their own :thumbup:

perfect time of year to buy one though

What a lot of people forget is these power figures the manufacturer claim are wombles all like what's at the rear wheel

My mate keeps telling me his standard 98 R1 has 150 horses he wouldn't have it that that was not the rear wheel figure
he was convinced it was until i showed him dyno data for a standard 98 bike think it was 120+ at the rear wheel
Far cry from 150, even if they was claiming that it surely wouldn't have lost 25 horses to the back wheel

I wish it was standardised that all power and torque figures are taken on a control tire at a set psi at the rear wheel

wasn't long ago ducati was saying oh 200 bhp from this 1199 was wombles all like that when MCN got it on a dyno tho

As far as power figures go Honda have never really taken the piss like some of the others
ヨシムラ

MOT - 10/04/2015
TAX - 30/11/14
INSURANCE - MCE - Expires 12/04/2015 (Midnight)
ACCIDENT CALL - 0871 2227910
RAC - 0800 1977830 - 03_MCECAB90013033
benny hedges

Post by benny hedges »

thing is as well seb. they quote peak hp.... which is the maximum power it makes at say 9500rpm.
what is more imortant is the power delivery curve (or line!) and torque.
i mean how often do you ride round all day at 9500rpm lol.....
its more about useable power imo.
like quoting 120+bhp on an old blade is all very well, and theyre great bikes, but you really have to work them to keep them on song, like any other IL4 apart from the big lazy tourers with lower peak power and a broader spread of torque.

the aprilia is a much more buzzy free-er revving engine than the storm - depends how you like to ride the bike and how it's set up for you personally.
You do not have to say anything. But it may harm your defence if you do not mention when posting something which you later rely on in quote. Anything you do say may be ripped to sh*t.
thumperslaw

Post by thumperslaw »

Stick with ya Honda. Buy a sp-2
98 storm with goodies!

K100 "flying brick"

R.I.P engine number 5
popkat

Post by popkat »

Had a mille R (ohlins front and rear) after my first firestorm, very different, if you don't like them then you don't get them !, fantastic bikes, handle very well, not masses of top end but more than a firestorm, they rip through the revs much quicker too.
Thrash them and you'll get 90 odd miles to a tank, but if cruising on the motorway i could get 160 miles before the fuel light, comfy for touring too 8O

I had the first model R with the gloss black paint and red, didn't like the later matt black ones, I still think the 2000 model was the best looking of the lot and they only made it for 1 year (so could be worth more in years to come). From new The ohlins forks dive too fast under braking, you can dial some of it out but not all, I had ohlins superbike internals put in mine, made a massive difference only cost £150 fitted back in 2001, also had the rear shock re sprung and valved for me at the same time, any bike fitted with the ohlins will need a revalve by now anyway so budget for it and use it to bargain.

Thumper, the nitride is on there to help lower friction as the fork slides through the seals, no need to have them fully coated.

Problems.. The fork seals are low friction and can leak fairly often, you don't need to change them, just strip them, clean them and reassemble with red rubber grease, or there's other seals that fit, iirc a model of R1 and a model of GSXR1000 seals fit but can't remember which models now.
Sprag clutches can go and aren't easy to fix, some go so bad they crack the crank case, the reason mostly is if they stall they need a second or so to settle before you restart them or the motor kind of locks and the sprag fails, they're a high compression twin, if you stall it don't just hit the starter, wait a sec then start, also make sure your battery is fully charged as a low battery can have the same effect.

On 04 onwards bikes the oil tank can split near the filter. also on the later models some suspension linkages have failed and killed people 8O a few have failed world wide, there were lawsuits and stuff going on, Aprilia never did a recall and never admitted anything, a big was the linkage breaking or wasn't it broken during the accident thing. Never had any problems with mine or my Tuono's, but you can fairly cheaply get beefier linkage plates if your worried.

Working out the clocks will give you plenty of bog reading time, make sure you get the handbook with the bike.

Interesting fact; if you fit a one tooth smaller front sprocket they have a higher top speed, Aprilia fitted a bigger front to lower the revs to help get them through the drive by noise tests, they used to supply the smaller sprocket with the bike, in a packet under the seat hump, also it won't effect the speedo as the it picks up off the rear disc bolts (so don't fit stainless or titanium ones or you'll have no speedo)
http://www.bidefordmotorcycles.co.uk
2014 CRMC Post classic Superbike champion.
2014 CRMC Post classic senior production champion. On a Suzuki Katana 1100
My bikes, Firestorm, Suzuki GSX-s1000 Katana, VFR800Fi. Projects, 1986 popup Katana, 3 XJ600’s
popkat

Post by popkat »

My 2000 model made 114 hp at the rear wheel with an Akrapovic end can and power commander, it was as fast as any of the pre 04 mille's
http://www.bidefordmotorcycles.co.uk
2014 CRMC Post classic Superbike champion.
2014 CRMC Post classic senior production champion. On a Suzuki Katana 1100
My bikes, Firestorm, Suzuki GSX-s1000 Katana, VFR800Fi. Projects, 1986 popup Katana, 3 XJ600’s
thumperslaw

Post by thumperslaw »

popkat wrote:Had a mille R (ohlins front and rear) after my first firestorm, very different, if you don't like them then you don't get them !, fantastic bikes, handle very well, not masses of top end but more than a firestorm, they rip through the revs much quicker too.
Thrash them and you'll get 90 odd miles to a tank, but if cruising on the motorway i could get 160 miles before the fuel light, comfy for touring too 8O

I had the first model R with the gloss black paint and red, didn't like the later matt black ones, I still think the 2000 model was the best looking of the lot and they only made it for 1 year (so could be worth more in years to come). From new The ohlins forks dive too fast under braking, you can dial some of it out but not all, I had ohlins superbike internals put in mine, made a massive difference only cost £150 fitted back in 2001, also had the rear shock re sprung and valved for me at the same time, any bike fitted with the ohlins will need a revalve by now anyway so budget for it and use it to bargain.

Thumper, the nitride is on there to help lower friction as the fork slides through the seals, no need to have them fully coated.

Problems.. The fork seals are low friction and can leak fairly often, you don't need to change them, just strip them, clean them and reassemble with red rubber grease, or there's other seals that fit, iirc a model of R1 and a model of GSXR1000 seals fit but can't remember which models now.
Sprag clutches can go and aren't easy to fix, some go so bad they crack the crank case, the reason mostly is if they stall they need a second or so to settle before you restart them or the motor kind of locks and the sprag fails, they're a high compression twin, if you stall it don't just hit the starter, wait a sec then start, also make sure your battery is fully charged as a low battery can have the same effect.

On 04 onwards bikes the oil tank can split near the filter. also on the later models some suspension linkages have failed and killed people 8O a few have failed world wide, there were lawsuits and stuff going on, Aprilia never did a recall and never admitted anything, a big was the linkage breaking or wasn't it broken during the accident thing. Never had any problems with mine or my Tuono's, but you can fairly cheaply get beefier linkage plates if your worried.

Working out the clocks will give you plenty of bog reading time, make sure you get the handbook with the bike.

Interesting fact; if you fit a one tooth smaller front sprocket they have a higher top speed, Aprilia fitted a bigger front to lower the revs to help get them through the drive by noise tests, they used to supply the smaller sprocket with the bike, in a packet under the seat hump, also it won't effect the speedo as the it picks up off the rear disc bolts (so don't fit stainless or titanium ones or you'll have no speedo)
I'll think your find there made
under licence from ohlins

Yes the gold helps the seals move smoother
But the point is there not the full sha bang ohlins

The new rsvr has real ohlins
98 storm with goodies!

K100 "flying brick"

R.I.P engine number 5
geodude

Post by geodude »

popkat wrote:... they rip through the revs much quicker too.
I noticed that today. Lovin' it. Still getting used to it though so very tentative. I spun up the rear end with great ease coming off a roundabout. :twisted:

I can't wait for the warmer weather where I can really get used to her.

As for the ohlins debate, are the factory forks better than the standard, regardless of whether they are full ohlins or not? Reviews seem to think yes.

I'm probably going to sell the DR350 for the ohlins fork setup :thumbup:
“Only by constantly developing your insight and knowledge can you fulfil your responsibility to ride safely and effectively”
“He who rides fastest, rides alone!"
YouTube Website Facebook Bike accessories