brakes

Need advice on which oil to use or which tyre best suits you? Share your topic and get help here.
andyclan

brakes

Post by andyclan »

can any body help me by giving me some idea how to up grade my brakes? I already have braided hose but brakes still seem very poor . 8O
Bink

Post by Bink »

Here are a few things you can do:
- Upgrade to an SP1 master brake cyclinder (believe Kawa ZX7R MBC will fit too)
- EBC HH pads
- Clean the calipers (properly)
- EBC brake disks

Indirectly, upgraded front forks will also help to improve your braking & proper tyres will also help

I have braided lines & normal Honda pads - braking is 2 fingers. Never any issues - thought it was 'fine'.
But just ordered EBC HH pads today. Will let you know how I get on :)
yellafella

Post by yellafella »

HH pads are great, and they give a reassuring hiss when applied ! :D
droid

Post by droid »

DO NOT FIT EBC DISCS

They rust, cause brake siezing and will be an absolute pain in winter.

Of course, if you're a summer rider they'd probably be fine.

Droid
robin1000

Post by robin1000 »

EBC Pro-lites are good kit 8) ! Bit of a sweeping statement that Droid.

OE discs are as good as you'll need on the road, honest! The HH pads will make a BIG difference, but wear the discs a bit quicker.

If yer running OE discs make sure they are within the service limit.

Everything else is what Bink said.

:D
Bikes and scorned women don't mix!
droid

Post by droid »

All I know is that the discs fitted were EBC's. They may not have been Pro-Lites, I don't know how many types EBC make. I had no issues with their stopping power, but having to free off the pads with a hammer and screwdriver every morning was an abolute pain.
As I said Robin, if you only ride in summer, they would be fine. For winter, with the bike parked outside, they were crap.

I agree though. Standard kit is fine!

Droid
Max

Post by Max »

Good its not just me thats had the disc's stick to the pads. I have got EBC prolites and if you put it away wet then it takes a little rocking to get it rolling. They do seem to stick less now they have been used a bit.
droid

Post by droid »

No it isn't Max. A ZX7R owner 2 doors down had exactly the same problem as me in winter (and used the same cure). His bike was garaged however....
Squiffythewombat

Post by Squiffythewombat »

yella, soooooooooo true with the hissing! i would REALLY reccomend chaning to HH pads, made a huge difference with my setup (have braided lines too)
Squiffy_The_Wombat

Eagles may soar but wombats dont get sucked into jet engines!!
Stormin Ben

Post by Stormin Ben »

My best 'top-tip' would be to give the calipers and pistons a damn good clean.
This makes a HUGE difference to both power and feel

And WRT pads
EBC HH's get a lot of praise and do feel sharp when you first put them in but I've noticed they do tend to go off fairly quickly and fade on track

Carbone Lorraine SBK3's - awesome on track, feel really like carbons but a dead loss on the road as they only work properly when good and hot

Bendix supersport - I LOVE THESE!!! :P For me they combine the best of both the above two. Good power and feel when cold so good on the road and work really well on track too with no fade

Now my questions
Has anyone tried Carbone Lorraine A3's - supposed to be more road oriented than the SBK's
Anyone tried SBS (scandinavian brake systems) pads? Used a lot in proddie racingbut I'd like some feedback about their suitability on the road

Ben