Starter Clutch

Need advice on which oil to use or which tyre best suits you? Share your topic and get help here.
ADY

Starter Clutch

Post by ADY »

Any one had problems like this?

Went for a spirited run of just 50 miles to a freinds, and then when ready to come home the bike would not start - it seemed to just spin the starter, make an odd noise and not a lot else

I stripped and serviced the starter but no change

Read up on the starter clutch, striped and checked it, and fitted a new 'Sprag Assembly' - no change

Fitted a new drive unit and drive plate - no change

Started looking at how it all worked with an inspection scope and found the idlewheel was turning but the intermediate drive wheel wasn't - took this out and its held together by a circlip and nothing else which is odd as they move together and should not spin. I pulled it apart and could see the marks / pick uo where it had been spinning and realised it had been pressed together and should be fixed as one, otherwise it would not work
As a stop gap I welded the 2 parts and re-assembled it all to try it before buying even more bits

It works now...........and its staying like this for a while to see what happens!
yellafella

Post by yellafella »

hate to say it ! But . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . a decent manual and you could have figured that out quicker, or even better . . . . . ask someone on here !!!!!!! :roll:
Bink

Post by Bink »

Then again ... there is great staisfaction in finding & fixing a problem all by yourself :D
ADY

Post by ADY »

Yeah know what you mean about the manual, Haynes just says about all the other parts beiing worn etc, nothing about the idle / drive wheels

I did look at the site to see if anyone had the problem and found nothing about it so presumed it was a one off - the stuff about the starter moter was useful

The guys at Silvers where very helpful but even the official manual they had did'nt mention it

Oh well at laest I am back on the road