Loosing oil!!

Need advice on which oil to use or which tyre best suits you? Share your topic and get help here.
Staff

Loosing oil!!

Post by Staff »

New to this site and VTRs - bought a 99 model a month ago but it has been drinking oil to the tune of about 750 ml every 1000 miles now this cannot be right!

The bike does not seem to be burning it, no smoke etc and there does not seem to be any leaks (I am sure I would be spotting pools of oil under the bike if it was leaking that much!

All in all the bike is running very well except for the oil issue.

Does anyone have any idea as to what might be wrong? I am fast running out of ideas
RQ

Post by RQ »

Are you running fully or semi synth oil? Mine used drink fully synth and just tipple away at semi synth.
RQ.
The Stig of 2 wheels as well as 4 !
Staff

Post by Staff »

Hi

I am running Semi synthetic (at least thats what it says on the tin :) )
Bink

Post by Bink »

He Staff,

Apparently there is nothing to worry about except to keep doing regular checks. Mine never used oil but lately I needed to refill. (500mls)
Not sure what is happening or why but 1ltr to 1000mls seems to be acceptable. (According to Honda)

If it gets worse have it checked. At least that's my plan of action.

PS- I run Semi-Syn as well.
Spacemonkey

Post by Spacemonkey »

I've been told by many Ducati sources that big twins like a tipple of oil and it's nothing to worry about unless it goes over 1l per 1000 miles. Bit of a bugger constantly topping up though-would pee me off on an extended trip. I hoped the Firestorm wouldnt drink oil. Is this the norm?
"The Edge... there is no honest way to explain it because the only people who really know where it is are the ones who have gone over...."
Staff

Post by Staff »

I spoke with a mechanic last night and he said it was not really the norm but he has seen it before he also said that there could be too much pressure in the crank casing which could be pushing the oil up into the air box (not had a chance to take a look at the air box yet but hopefully take it apart tonight)

Has anyone seen or heard of this happening before? and if so any ideas on how to rectify the problem?
Staff

Post by Staff »

I checked the air box last night and found oil there, not a great deal but enough not to be right - any ideas people?
JamesD

Post by JamesD »

Staff,

It is quite usual to have a slight amount of oil in the airbox as well as condensation and some fuel. Too much oil normally indicates an overfilling and the oil breather may have allowed some oil back into the airbox.

Jim
RQ

Post by RQ »

There was always some oil in my airbox too Staff. No stresseeeee. :wink:
RQ.
The Stig of 2 wheels as well as 4 !
Bink

Post by Bink »

Staff,

Reckon that you need your valve clearance set - appartently this affects oil usage aswell? Just something I was told yesetrday by a mate.
Valves clearance should be checked every 4k mls or so - The bike will run smoother as well once it's done.

I will get mine done next month.
Staff

Post by Staff »

I will check the clearances - cheers for the help guys
jono

Post by jono »

Whats going on with your valves? Bought my Storm last year with 4k miles on it. It now has 20k, and I've been ringing its neck since the day I bought it.
Checked the valves last week, and they were perfect. In fact there were still hone marks on the cam's. Put in APE tensioners too, and the old CCT's were pristine. Can't seem to hurt this thing...
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

Jono wrote:-
Put in APE tensioners too

Hi Jono,
How did you go about setting the tension on the APE tensioners to the correct tension?
cheers Chris.