Engine temperature

Need advice on which oil to use or which tyre best suits you? Share your topic and get help here.
weasel

Engine temperature

Post by weasel »

Hello everyone,

I have a 2003 (F2) model storm. Could someone please tell me what the normal running temperature of the engine should be? I appreciate that it's going to be running hotter in slow traffic, cooler at speed. The other day I was out and about in slow moving traffic and the engine temperature was around the early 90 degrees C. Last week my bike was in my garage and I had it running (with the garage door open of course) whilst I adjusted my CCT's and the engine reached 100 degrees C before the fan kicked in.

Are these normal kinds of operating temperatures or do I have an issue?

Thanks,

Gav
Kev L

Re: Engine temperature

Post by Kev L »

Sounds about the same as my F3 mate.
Carpe diem, quam minimum credula postero
F3, 954 USD front, K Tech springs, Braced swinger, Penske shock, Six spoke Mockesini wheels, Harris rearsets, QaT, Flywheel diet!, A&L stacks, stick coils, K&N, FP Ti jets, lashings of Ti & CF
weasel

Post by weasel »

Ah good. Not just me then!

Thanks!
VTRDark

Post by VTRDark »

I haven't got a clue what the temp is but the fan should kick in once the temp gauge gets just past the halfway mark. Or are you on a later model with the digital dash. :think:

(:-})
==============================Enter the Darkside
Kev L

Post by Kev L »

F2 is the later model same as mine
F3, 954 USD front, K Tech springs, Braced swinger, Penske shock, Six spoke Mockesini wheels, Harris rearsets, QaT, Flywheel diet!, A&L stacks, stick coils, K&N, FP Ti jets, lashings of Ti & CF
agentpineapple

Post by agentpineapple »

and mine........well it will have when i get round to fitting the bloody thing........ :lol: :lol: :lol:
HEY YOU GUYS!!!!!!
darkember

Post by darkember »

Ok I have the F2 model year before yours still with the larger tank & updated dials. Normal running temp on a ride out will usually range between 65-85 depending on ambient temperature. IE for it to run at 65 it will be a very cold day or chucking it down. In traffic the temp will rise to 101 at this point the fan kicks in. It will kick out again once the temp drops below 99. Nothing to worry about. If your temp were to rise to 122 then the figures will start to flash & the red line will appear below the figures, this is the point of overheating. Personally I would be checking the coolant system if I saw it rise to above 105 especially if the fan had kicked in.
Kev L

Post by Kev L »

Well I never knew that about the temp guage. It's almost worth getting it that hot just to see the pretty flashing lights. Or I could wait for Carl to finish his clutch cover or visit Chric's mobile Blackpool illuminations!!!
VTRDark

Post by VTRDark »

You wont get any flashing from me. :eek2

(:-})
==============================Enter the Darkside