how much would you pay?

General Bike chat
callam_nffc

how much would you pay?

Post by callam_nffc »

afternoon chaps,

I'm off to view a storm tomorrow, my first one :)

just wondering what you guys think is a good price

some details-

P reg, 25k-ish
serviced including valve clearances etc
fork upgrade and hagon shock
aftermarket and original exhaust
mot for 6 months, 1 months tax
decent tires
meant to be immaculate condition all round

so gents, prices? I have a price in mind but the guy sounds like he knows what he's on about and won't budge much
CBR125 - XJ600S DIVERSION - YZF600R THUNDERCAT - VTR1000 FIRESTORM
I still crave a supermoto...
leevtr

Re: how much would you pay?

Post by leevtr »

Most of the tight fcukers here will say £500 !!!

Hard to say without seeing, as there's differences in what people regard as good condition, but going on what they are fetching you probably wont pay much more than £1000-1200,but I'm probably prepared to pay more than most, if I feel its a good'un.
" It was 2 minutes 5 minutes ago "
leevtr

Post by leevtr »

leevtr wrote:Most of the tight fcukers here will say £500 !!!

Hard to say without seeing, as there's differences in what people regard as good condition, but going on what they are fetching you probably wont pay much more than £1000-1200,but I'm probably prepared to pay more than most, if I feel its a good'un.
Oh and I would want the OE shock as well ( Sorry Mart ) but IMO hagon aren't what I would call an improvement. I'd rather have the original Showa unit. But each to their own, others would disagree.
" It was 2 minutes 5 minutes ago "
Wicky

Post by Wicky »

Greetings

1200-1300 at most if a good un - As BSM mentioned if it has orignal CCTs and an unfinned self-cooking R/R then use them as bargaining tools to knock some off.

On the subframe underneath the rear bodywork on the right.

OEM Honda CCT = Bad

Aftermarket bolt style manual CCT = Good

Check the shock linkage bearing for squeaks as they are prone to wearing out if they aren't greased up, along with the starter motor connector where the lead bolts on, protected by a rubber hood. Peel back the rubber and check for corrosion - ideally it should be kept greased/vaselined up to keep the elements out.

That's about it -just check the usual wear and tear consumables items C&S, pads, airfilter - inside of body work for repairs, condition of nuts bolts fastenings for how well its been maintained - for instance the condition of brake pin caps as they can easily get mangled / left off.

It may be that your whole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

ImageVTR Firestorm and other bikes t-shirts
lloydie

Post by lloydie »

Make sure you take it for a good test ride and give it the beans to make sure its fuelling right as it will cost £200-300 to put it right .
And the discs aren't warped
VTRDark

Post by VTRDark »

Hard to put a price on it without seeing, but don't take the owners word for the servicing and valve check etc without seeing receipts. Even then I would be cautious as you don't know who done the work. Find out if the fork springs are linear or progressive. If linear they are weight related and may be no good for you anyway. Same with the rear find out what weight they are made for. Cans are pretty standard upgrade and don't really add much value to the re-sale unless they are something special like Akrapovic's, full titanium system or something. Has the bike been jetted to suit. All things to think about.

(:-})
==============================Enter the Darkside
callam_nffc

Post by callam_nffc »

cheers for the swift replies gents, he's made it sound showroom condition but will see tomorrow

its up at 1750 and here was me aiming to get it for around 1500 lol
Wicky

Post by Wicky »

That's more like dealer's price with a warranty. Potentially knock off £500 for a private sale. If it's yellow the owners try and mask the fact as the yucky colour makes it worthless. :shh:

http://www.motorcyclenews.com/MCN/bikes ... GN-7586517

Sticker on the fairing advertises Moriwaki but a pretty sticker on it own doesn't add any significant value. Revolution work by Rodger will be quality but see receipts, and how many miles ago was the work done.

As a point of comparison my storm beastie is also 97/P reg with approaching 60,000 miles and I've managed to persuade my insurance company an agreed value of £1500.
It may be that your whole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

callam_nffc

Post by callam_nffc »

that's the exact one wicky, advertised in another mag at 1750

I was going to aim for 1500 but you say lower?
Ive never had to haggle a used sale out of anyone but I'm sure ill soon be trying haha
Wicky

Post by Wicky »

On paper it has good bits but use the pointers here to identify any weaknesses on the bike to haggle with and come to a half-way agreement - so you're both mutually pleased by the deal.

Also give Rodger (he's sometimes pops in here) at Revolution a ring or an email and ask if he knows or remembers anything about the work he did on the bike and when. A picture of the bike might jog his memory.

http://www.revolutionuk.co.uk

callam_nffc

Post by callam_nffc »

and am I the only one who likes yellow then :( haha
callam_nffc

Post by callam_nffc »

I'm sure the guy said the servicing and valve clearances were done by the same people as the fork so I will expect receipts
Wicky

Post by Wicky »

Yellowish bikes have also caused concern for around 5% of you and the most common cause of this is a lack of bile caused by your poo moving too quickly through the digestive tract. Again if this is a persistent problem, then it should be checked by your doctor.
:p

http://www.channel4embarrassingillnesse ... ck-stools/

callam_nffc

Post by callam_nffc »

what the feck lol
AMCQ46

Post by AMCQ46 »

its all down to condition and if tyres and C&S are newish then it might just be worth his top price. Reciepts for the fork job will be important, but as the spring fitted will be matched to the owners weight, if he was bigger or smaller than you then you might need to change again [£80 for springs]
AMcQ