sprockets

General Bike chat
woaty

sprockets

Post by woaty »

hi peeps / fixed 1st gear clunk , now for 2nd prob :roll: im changing chain & sprockets , do i stick to standard 16 front 41 rear or 14 / 41 or 15 / 43 ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh :think: any1
leevtr

Re: sprockets

Post by leevtr »

I would have thought thats a personal choice with regards to how you ride. I've never wanted to mess about with the gearing myself, as I feel the bikes got plenty of stomp already, and I like to get abroad from time to time, and dont want its revving itself silly at 100.

Then again, I'm probably the only one here who doesnt like the HRC quick action throttle.
" It was 2 minutes 5 minutes ago "
alternative_vtr

Post by alternative_vtr »

Hi, how did you fix the first gear clunk? I find that I can only reduce mine a bit by faffing with the chain tension and what revs I change gear but the clunk is still there, I hate it. Mine clunks from 1st to 2nd mostly and is really annoying.
KTM Duke 690ABS in White
simo

Post by simo »

Aye, stick to standard gearing M8. Petrol's dear enough :biggrin
Theres A Hare in The Turnips.
Steve6088

Post by Steve6088 »

leevtr wrote: Then again, I'm probably the only one here who doesnt like the HRC quick action throttle.
not quite the only one
woaty

Post by woaty »

[quote="alternative_vtr"how did you fix the first gear clunk? I find that I can only reduce mine a bit by faffing with the chain tension and what revs I change gear but the clunk is still there, I hate it. Mine clunks from 1st to 2nd mostly and is really annoying.[/quote]
hi bud had box striped down & cleaned still got a little clunk but nowhere near as bad :thumbup:
Kev L

Post by Kev L »

The angle of the gear change actuating arm should be at 90⁰ to the linkage rod to get the best gearchange. Also check the rose joints to make sure there is no wear. If there is then give this firm a look - http://mcgillmotorsports.co.uk/
They sell on E Bay but are cheaper if you go direct. Good luck.
Carpe diem, quam minimum credula postero
F3, 954 USD front, K Tech springs, Braced swinger, Penske shock, Six spoke Mockesini wheels, Harris rearsets, QaT, Flywheel diet!, A&L stacks, stick coils, K&N, FP Ti jets, lashings of Ti & CF
AMCQ46

Post by AMCQ46 »

just to be different, i move my gear arm away from 90deg to make the pedal travel shorter. but I have precision rose joints on my rearsets and dont have any precision issues :D
AMcQ
agentpineapple

Post by agentpineapple »

i went with 15/42
the only downsides are your speedo is out, when the dash shows 30mph i'm really doing 25mph and when i'm well in excess of 100mph(private roads only officer) it feels like it could do with an extra gear, if like lee said you do big mileage then leave it standard, if it a fun weekend bike and its only about putting smiles on your face, have a tinker.... :thumbup:
HEY YOU GUYS!!!!!!
thumperslaw

Post by thumperslaw »

Steve6088 wrote:
leevtr wrote: Then again, I'm probably the only one here who doesnt like the HRC quick action throttle.
not quite the only one

+1
more
98 storm with goodies!

Srad seven fiddy stuntbike

K100 "flying brick"

R.I.P engine number 5