Funny scredching on start up

Need advice on which oil to use or which tyre best suits you? Share your topic and get help here.
Bob C

Funny scredching on start up

Post by Bob C »

Just finished a whole load of winter maintenance which included new wheel bearings all round, new stanchions and the rear sub frame powder coated. Took the bike for its MOT yesterday and all was well. Went to start it to ride it into the MOT centre and there was a funny screeching noise. Initially it didn't start then it fired up. Did it a couple more times during the MOT. I'm thinking starter clutch or possibly knackered battery not giving enough power to the starter. Any ideas or initial checks. Borrowing a amp meter to check the battery.

Cheers
Bob :thumbdown: :confused
Pete.L
Forum Health And Safety Officer

Re: Funny scredching on start up

Post by Pete.L »

Manual CCTs fitted?
If they are, they could be too tight.

Pete.l
My new ride is a bit of a Howler and I love to make her Squeal
leevtr

Post by leevtr »

Pete.L wrote:Manual CCTs fitted?
If they are, they could be too tight.

Pete.l
+1
" It was 2 minutes 5 minutes ago "
benny hedges

Post by benny hedges »

Either that or the sprag gear behind the flywheel is slipping on its shaft.
Not unheard of.
If you need a new one let me know as i have a spare.

Id lend you my flywheel removal tool but havent got it back yet and cant remember who i lent it to.... Whoever i sold my spare flywheel to :?
You do not have to say anything. But it may harm your defence if you do not mention when posting something which you later rely on in quote. Anything you do say may be ripped to sh*t.
tony.mon

Post by tony.mon »

Nearly right with the sprag gear. It'll b the transfer gears between the starter rotor and the sprag clutch.
Just about possible to replace by undoing the lower end of the front CCT tensioner blade, you have to remove the tensioner first.
And the alternator casing and rotor, and the sprag clutch.
It's not falling off, it's an upgrade opportunity.
Bob C

Post by Bob C »

Cheers fellas. I have had manual CCT fitted for over a year and never had any problems thus far. If they are to tight whats the recommended amount to loosen them off by. Started the bike up yesterday with no problems at all.
Wicky

Post by Wicky »

If they are set too tight then they'll 'screech' when starting - If too loose they'll rattle - so somewhere quieter in between. With the timing correctly set for front cyl/ rear cyl as when you installed them following the Workshop forum guide - Fingertight and backout 1/8- 1/4 turn.
It may be that your whole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

ImageVTR Firestorm and other bikes t-shirts
VTRDark

Post by VTRDark »

I have had manual CCT fitted for over a year and never had any problems
Ok you would have had problems before then if they where overtightened.

Have you investigated the sprag gear or had the starter mooter out at all.? Any chance you can try and pin point where about's in the engine the noise is coming from. It may be a good idea just to remove the starter motor and re-grease the end of it so as it gets put back in some of the grease will get in to the starter clutch area. You may even be able to get you fingers in with the starter motor removed to re-grease components.

A bit of a long shot but something else that just occurred to me, if the water pump is beginning to seize up as it spins it may make a screeching sounds :think: Yeh, if you could try and pinpoint where the screeching is coming from it may help diagnose where the problem lies.

:thumbup:

(:-})
==============================Enter the Darkside
leevtr

Post by leevtr »

Wicky wrote:If they are set too tight then they'll 'screech' when starting - If too loose they'll rattle - so somewhere quieter in between. With the timing correctly set for front cyl/ rear cyl as when you installed them following the Workshop forum guide - Fingertight and backout 1/8- 1/4 turn.
If you do the ccts up finger tight, the chain will be as tight as a drum. ( well mine was anyway ). I wouldn't even attempt to set the slack without taking off the rear cam cover, so I could actually see the play in the chain between the sprockets.

Just my opinion, everyone had their own preffered methods.
" It was 2 minutes 5 minutes ago "
VTRDark

Post by VTRDark »

I wouldn't even attempt to set the slack without taking off the rear cam cover, so I could actually see the play in the chain between the sprockets.
Agree. There is too much room for error with finger tight as everyone finger tight is different and some don't have a good feel for it. Especially if talking about the rear, just remove the cam cover and chain guide and measure precisely to about 7mm up and down movement from between the two cam sprockets as if your measuring your drive chain. Simples :thumbup:

(:-})
==============================Enter the Darkside
Stratman

Post by Stratman »

Just had a thought. It isn't your wife screaching "you're not going out on that bloody thing again are you!"
Two bikes, still only four cylinders!

sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

Stratman wrote:Just had a thought. It isn't your wife screaching "you're not going out on that bloody thing again are you!"

:lol: :lol: