My Tuono Thread - SOLD!!

General Bike chat
Whoa Nelly

Re: My Tuono Thread

Post by Whoa Nelly »

Virt wrote:Don't throw the bike down the road then :thumbup:
Sadly, the Tuono comes from the factory looking like it's been down the road :lol:
WN! '99 Firestorm, furry dice & 2lbs of dead insects
geodude

Post by geodude »

Cheers. boys.

No, not in leathers yet. Just off to play Badmington for 2 hours, so as long as I don't have a curry or kebab after, it should help.

I have done oil, filter, plugs.

I haven't done;

Rear shock absorber service
Gearbox
Bowden cables and controls
Rear suspension connecting rod bearings
Steering bearings and steering play:
Wheel bearings
Brake discs
Valve clearance adjustment
Braking systems service
Cooling system
Clutch fluid
Brake fluid
Front fork fluid and service
Front fork oil seals
Brake pads
Tightness of fasteners
Cylinders synchronisation
Suspension and track alignment
Fuel lines
Clutch wear
Pistons

I'm not confident enough to do much of the above yet, plus the stuff I did do, I was off work and had plenty of time. Now I am back at work, time is a real issue.

They had better do a bloody good job, especially with social media the way it is today :thumbup:
“Only by constantly developing your insight and knowledge can you fulfil your responsibility to ride safely and effectively”
“He who rides fastest, rides alone!"
YouTube Website Facebook Bike accessories
Pete.L
Forum Health And Safety Officer

Post by Pete.L »

How many miles has your Tuono done?
Half the things on you list you can do just by looking at it. Do the brake pads look worn, is the steering bearings loose or not turning freely. Suspension, is it working or leaking oil. A service mechanic won't do half that stuff unless you specifically ask him too. I think you are going a little too far into it. Don't go giving yourself a coronry when you don't have too. Or are you just trying to worry an extra couple of pounds off to help get into those leathers :wink:

Pete.l
My new ride is a bit of a Howler and I love to make her Squeal
geodude

Post by geodude »

Pete.L wrote:How many miles has your Tuono done?
Half the things on you list you can do just by looking at it. Do the brake pads look worn, is the steering bearings loose or not turning freely. Suspension, is it working or leaking oil. A service mechanic won't do half that stuff unless you specifically ask him too. I think you are going a little too far into it. Don't go giving yourself a coronry when you don't have too. Or are you just trying to worry an extra couple of pounds off to help get into those leathers :wink:

Pete.l

The stuff above is what should be done as part of a full service according to the schedule. I'll be talking to the mechanic tomorrow and if they can't / wont give me a full breakdown of what they are doing then I won't bother.

I think what I want is to get the service up to date and a record on the Aprilia Service database for my bike for when I upgrade to a newer one in few years time :thumbup: . I can carry on the basic service items from there if you get me?
“Only by constantly developing your insight and knowledge can you fulfil your responsibility to ride safely and effectively”
Pete.L
Forum Health And Safety Officer

Post by Pete.L »

Ah I see :)
That's a £400 plus service with all that stuff on it. I thought it was things you were stressing about doing yourself.
I must admit when i needed the full service done on mine to keep the warrantee up I took it to a local agent and had him only do the bits I specified. We also worked out what he thought was the bare minimum required so I could get a stamp in the book . I saved about £200 and got an official stamp too so jobs a good un :thumbup:
Good luck with yours :thumbup:

Pete.l
My new ride is a bit of a Howler and I love to make her Squeal
playerone

Post by playerone »

Guy I bought the carbon cans off got hold of a top spec R version for £1000 after guy walked into his shop desperate to sell because of electrical problems, turned out to be a dodgy alarm 8O
geodude

Post by geodude »

playerone wrote:Guy I bought the carbon cans off got hold of a top spec R version for £1000 after guy walked into his shop desperate to sell because of electrical problems, turned out to be a dodgy alarm 8O
8O 8O
geodude

Post by geodude »

Ok, so I took the bike in and the full service includes all of the above. I know it wont be cheap but as I say, at least it will now have some history when I px for it for a newer gen2 factory :)

Hopefully it will be a reliable ride to Tamworth and back next weekend otherwise :oops:

As a side note, they gave me an er6f as a loan bike. Not a bad bike. Handles well even in the piss pouring rain. Not bad at all. :thumbup:
geodude

Post by geodude »

Ok so as mentioned in another thread, the bike shop says the forks are fooked and they would fail it in an MOT under "compromised structural integrity". Having a look this morning, I'd have to agree. He said if it was anywhere else on the fork, it would be an advisory but as it's at the yoke which is more load bearing, it would fail.

It's worse irl than in the photo. About 1/8th of an inch of fork has corroded away :(

geodude

Post by geodude »

Oh, on a plus note, everything else is spot on :thumbup:
bazza696

Post by bazza696 »

how the hell has it got that bad with only 14k on the clock
Ckennedy

Post by Ckennedy »

Should have got another storm :lol:

Hope you manage to get it sorted quick and you can get back to enjoying the bike.
geodude

Post by geodude »

bazza696 wrote:how the hell has it got that bad with only 14k on the clock
No idea mate :thumbdown:
geodude

Post by geodude »

Serviced and re-valved forks bought for £200 delivered :thumbup:
VTRDark

Post by VTRDark »

Serviced and re-valved forks bought for £200 delivered
That's very good. :thumbup:

Just need the weather now :wink:

(:-})
==============================Enter the Darkside