cheap exhausts?

General Bike chat
leevtr

Re: cheap exhausts?

Post by leevtr »

callam_nffc wrote:I might just keep my eye out for some decent second hand ones,
a decent set is what, say 650 plus?

and there is no way I'm spending that kinda money on a relatively cheap bike
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/6842-Silencer ... 484bf4b538
" It was 2 minutes 5 minutes ago "
bigtwinthing

Post by bigtwinthing »

Have a look on e-bay at "Powertechperformance" i have bought my cans from Simon here and they have been excellant cans (7 bikes in total) and he has made them to suit want i wanted. Shirt,black with baffles and they sound superb. and he did my Storm ones for £220 with baffles. :D
missing the noise, not the vibes. However never say never!
simo

Post by simo »

Beowulf..... I'm sure someone on this Forum reported that they would'nt stand the warranty if they were fitted to big twins. I also know someone whose can was not sealing around the end cap after about a month and they did'nt want to know. :thumbdown:
Theres A Hare in The Turnips.
adyf

Post by adyf »

My vote goes for vipers ,I've got carbon race cans that I stubbied ,had em apart then rebuilt em quality seems good lovely deep bass sound,cheap enough,hope you find what your looking for as there's loads of choice,must admit those pipeworx ones look very cool .cheerz ady f.
tony.mon

Post by tony.mon »

Just build your own. The the quality's up to you and your bank manager....
It's not falling off, it's an upgrade opportunity.
callam_nffc

Post by callam_nffc »

bigspanishmarty wrote:you can widen your search for good quality second hand cans by looking at any cans with a 52mm inlet diameter, you can buy or get made linkpipes to whatever style you want., not sure if there still there, but there was a loverly pair of yoshi rs3's on ebay a few days back. keep em peeled.... :Tongue5:
cheers mate :thumbup:

and I will check out powertechperformance :)
CBR125 - XJ600S DIVERSION - YZF600R THUNDERCAT - VTR1000 FIRESTORM
I still crave a supermoto...
Pete.L
Forum Health And Safety Officer

Post by Pete.L »

I always thought the Fuel Exhaust were pretty good value for money. I know a few folks who have had them and been pretty impressed for the money.

http://www.fuelexhausts.com/gallery_det ... id=22&id=3

Pete.l
My new ride is a bit of a Howler and I love to make her Squeal
VTRDark

Post by VTRDark »

This is a bit like how longs a piece of string or what's the best colour. The first thing you need to do is set a quality scale as to what is poor and what is not, otherwise everybody's idea of what is poor and what is not will be different. How does one judge what is good quality and what is not. Do you go by price, user experience, word of mouth, magazine reviews, build quality, sound quality, performance quality, popularity, named brands etc etc. Yes stay away from the Chinese stuff as we all know the quality of Chinese stuff is a bit hit and miss and generally not that well built.

My advice to you is to set yourself a price limit and have listen to as many cans as you can, preferably in reality and not video clips, though they give you a rough idea. Decide on the material you want but this will also set your price range. Work out beforehand if you want low, upswept or high levels. As for performance quality, no cans will perform well without being jetted to suit and preferably be a full system. Some cans may require re-jetting and some may not, though will perform better if jetted to suit. You can use cans of the same diameter from any bike but remember that this may take some performance away and make jetting to suit more complicated as they are made for particular bike, engine capacity, different lengths of can etc which makes a difference to performance. You cant judge by what works with one bike may be good for another as one may look, sound and perform well with one bike but not another. They are all different.

Take your time and don't rush into anything and keep you eye out for some good used ones that may come up on eBay or elsewhere. There are some bargains to be had. :thumbup:

(:-})
==============================Enter the Darkside
agentpineapple

Post by agentpineapple »

i think as long as the cans are a decent length you should be fine, cut down/stubby's will probably have an effect on power, something to do with exhaust pulse's.resonance and what not....
don't be put off of carbon fibre, some people say the material struggles to handle to big twin, but akra and arrows made carbon cans for the storm as did many others companies.
theres one thing i'd like to try if i was going down the route of buying a pair of cans and then getting linkpipes made, i'd go for a bigger inlet diameter, something like 60mm, the sort of can size you get for the busa and such, then i'd get the linkpipes flared out from the downpipes/headers diameter to the 60mm can inlet diameter, having seen and heard carls arata's which have a similar design, that would be my choice.... :thumbup:
HEY YOU GUYS!!!!!!
Pete.L

Post by Pete.L »

BSM Said
i'd go for a bigger inlet diameter, something like 60mm, the sort of can size you get for the busa and such, then i'd get the linkpipes flared out from the downpipes/headers diameter to the 60mm can inlet diameter
Funny you should say that. It's been prooven that flaring the link pipe like that also makes the most power gains on big V Twins. So if power is what you are after, then it a "Must" on your requirement list.

Pee.l
VTRDark

Post by VTRDark »

Best done at both ends though. exhaust outlet on header and where it enters the can. I think it's something to do with a smooth transition of gas flow.

==============================Enter the Darkside
Pete.L

Post by Pete.L »

Yep! And ever expanding gasses can increase velocity and escape faster. Of course it's all pointless unless you do the other end and get the intake and mixture to match :thumbup:
Or just choose one in your favourite colour and style and don't worry about the extra 5 or 6 horse power you could gain :D what's it matter when you've got a hundred to start with :D
But you know it does :wink: :shh:

Pete.l
Whoa Nelly

Post by Whoa Nelly »

Well, if you're flaring yer link pipes, you may as well do it properly
WN! '99 Firestorm, furry dice & 2lbs of dead insects
T8ull

Re: cheap exhausts? Got the beowulfs myself

Post by T8ull »

I got those beowulfs :clap: and they are great. Even put the originals on to notice the difference.
See me and the bike on the who's who section.

I de logo d them as when I got the bike a few if the letters were missing.

Hope this helps

Tim
.........So far, so good, so what!
tony.mon

Post by tony.mon »

cybercarl wrote:This is a bit like how longs a piece of string or what's the best colour.

Seventeen*, and yellow.
Next?

(* The answer is always seventeen, all you have to do is define the scale to suit).
It's not falling off, it's an upgrade opportunity.