battery problems

Need advice on which oil to use or which tyre best suits you? Share your topic and get help here.
scottyhatchi

battery problems

Post by scottyhatchi »

hi everyone im having a nightmare with this battery .. i have a brand new battery on bike and still same problem fully charge the battery then it will start go for rides etc will keep starting while im out n about but as soon as i park it up for long period of time such as the normal overnight i will go out in morning to start bike and it will be dead again everytime constantly im loosing power from somewhere has anyone had this problem ??
leevtr

Re: battery problems

Post by leevtr »

No. Never.
" It was 2 minutes 5 minutes ago "
popkat

Post by popkat »

1st thing that springs to mind is Alarm, do you have one fitted, if you do then disconnect it and see if the problem goes.
http://www.bidefordmotorcycles.co.uk
2014 CRMC Post classic Superbike champion.
2014 CRMC Post classic senior production champion. On a Suzuki Katana 1100
My bikes, Firestorm, Suzuki GSX-s1000 Katana, VFR800Fi. Projects, 1986 popup Katana, 3 XJ600’s
tattoo

Post by tattoo »

someone on the vtr page on facebook had the same problem and found that it was the starter solenoid that was at fault...
scottyhatchi

Post by scottyhatchi »

wudnt the starter solenoid just fail it to start ?? i mean the actually battery goes dead ... as for alarm yes i have an alarm on it but ive not been putting it on overnight and still battery dies and it was doing this the same before i even fitted the alarm was just the same without it
VTRDark

Post by VTRDark »

I suppose there is always the possibility of it being a dodgy battery from the manufactures. What brand battery is it, is it the right one for the Storm, how many amps. Did you have to fill it with acid before charging or was it pre-filled and what did you use to charge it up with. Please tell me you didn't use a 12v car battery charger to charge it up.

(:-})
==============================Enter the Darkside
scottyhatchi

Post by scottyhatchi »

charged it with a trickle charger its all i have lol and correct volt and wattage but its not the origional battery for the bike and yes it was new the lad filled the acid in it when i got there
scottyhatchi

Post by scottyhatchi »

and had battery checked its good its the bike loosing the power overnite seems to be draining overnite
popkat

Post by popkat »

Then your ignition must be staying live after taking the key out, test the live feed after you remove the key.
Have you tried removing the battery overnight then refit it in the morning ?
You could put a switch in on the battery lead so no power can be drained.
My bikes, Firestorm, Suzuki GSX-s1000 Katana, VFR800Fi. Projects, 1986 popup Katana, 3 XJ600’s
scottyhatchi

Post by scottyhatchi »

oh also my ignition has just stopped working 1 min fine next u turn key tday and nothing luckily i have the remote engine start fitted else id have not been able to of got home lol
scottyhatchi

Post by scottyhatchi »

how wud i test if the ignition is staying live ?? wen i turn key off the lights etc all go off ... as for a switch to stop anything using the battery where wud a switch be put for this ?
popkat

Post by popkat »

I wouldn't put any switch in yet, best try to trace the problem first.

use a multi meter to check for power on and off from the switch, find the block connect for the ignition wires.
scottyhatchi

Post by scottyhatchi »

didnt understand that mate hahahaha need to talk to me like im completely thick hahahha im no mechanic as people on here already know hahahaha :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D
VTRDark

Post by VTRDark »

Image I don;t know if I can relply to that I;min stitches :lol: :lol:

VTRDark

Post by VTRDark »

Jeez you make made me laugh so much, you should be rolled up and smoked. :lol:

OK Scotty for now if the battery is charged fully, remove the battery overnight and refit in the morning and see if the bike starts. If it does start it suggest that there is something drawing current from it overnight, causing it to go flat. That will mean you need to find whatever is drawing the current from it overnight. The alarm would be suspect as a common cause, you just need to determine where from.