Sunglasses on bikes

General Bike chat
thom353

Sunglasses on bikes

Post by thom353 »

Hope i'm not setting myself up for the biggest, i can't beleive he just asked that :!:
If dark visors are illegal for road use, are you allowed to wear sunglasses when riding? if so i don't get it. :roll:
I don't want to be known as the nif naf and triv guy but can anyone shed any :idea: on it.
If at 1st you don't sucseed! suckseed! succsead! succeed! Try Try again.
Bink

Post by Bink »

Non, baffles me too.

Good thing is that in Ireland they don't pull you for those trivial things.
Race cans...? No problem...
Smallish # plate ... Off you go (only when you get pulled for other stuff then they'll take you up on it)
Dark visor ... not a second look ...
Speed camera's ... only 3 active in the whole country.
Chances of getting caught for speeding 1 in 1800...

AAaaaahhhh Lovely!! :D
VTRgirl

Post by VTRgirl »

Sounds like bliss! I promise to never make fun of the Irish again! :wink:

Dark visors certainly aren't illegal down under... & as for sunnies, I bought myself a fairly lightly tinted pair just so I could ride with them on & the visor up at night, rather than change from tinted visor to clear! How's that for lazy? Doing the shift-work thing, it's easier than keeping a spare visor with me. Always seem to be doing either to or from work in the dark... 8)
jpickup

Post by jpickup »

As I understand it, tinted visors are allowed as long as you have a clear one with you (so you can switch if it goes dark). By that rules glasses are fine too as you can just take them off.
BigD

Post by BigD »

I have tinted 'strips' which stick to the inside of the visor. Just remove em if its dark.
Stormin Ben

Re: Sunglasses on bikes

Post by Stormin Ben »

thom353 wrote:Hope i'm not setting myself up for the biggest, i can't beleive he just asked that :!:
If dark visors are illegal for road use, are you allowed to wear sunglasses when riding? if so i don't get it. :roll:
I don't want to be known as the nif naf and triv guy but can anyone shed any :idea: on it.
The problem originally stemmed from the older helmets where you had to take it into a workshop to change the visor so riding at night would have meant a spare lid!
Nowadays its the plastic fantastic mob who couse the biggest problems. You know the sort, all the gear inluding 90% light blocking iridium visor who turns up to the bike meet with his polished sliders and 2" chicken strips, struts around all night and then rides off at 11pm still in his black visor -w@nker!!

Basically so long as you have a clear one with you it'd have to be a total jobsworth who actually did you for it

Ben

PS and despite all the scare stories he cannot 'confiscate' your dark visor for 'evidence' so long as you are prepared to sign his pocket book admitting to the 'offence'
Martin

Post by Martin »

The main issue is that visors have to be either BS or the equivalent E marked to be legal....none of the tinted ones are. Ben is right in that it would have to be a jobsworth who reported you JUST for a visor. Always carry a clear one if it's likely to either bung it down with rain or get dark whilst you're out. If you're running race cans, very small plate, riding like a loon etc, then a dark visor will just get added to the list.
I know...cos I work for the dark side. Sadly there is new legislation afoot from President Blairs mob to rule tinted visors totally illegal....that's ridiculous!
Drink to contentment not to capacity. I just haven't figured out which comes first.
thom353

Post by thom353 »

I'm no member of parliment, but i know a word or six.
Kaz do you remember what the outcome of the petition was, i wouldn't mind running it again, or something similar. But then again if the old bill let you off if your carrying a clear one, the simple answer is carry the clear one i suppose, however there's nothing like a good winge.
If at 1st you don't sucseed! suckseed! succsead! succeed! Try Try again.
VTRgirl

Post by VTRgirl »

Pack your dark visors. Pack your storms. Pack your sunscreen & come to oz. Problem solved. We'll even letcha wear tinted contacts & sunnies if you like. 8)
Martin

Post by Martin »

Personally...I wouldn't even bat an eye lid at a dark visor if i stopped someone wearing one. I got mine from The visor Shop...and it was described as "as dark as shoei make"!!! sunglasses are painful, and as Kaz says, you can't take em off in a tunnel!
Drink to contentment not to capacity. I just haven't figured out which comes first.
eddvtr1000

Post by eddvtr1000 »

how do peeps, if blair and his cronies rule that dark visors are a big no no what am i to do with my caberg f2. you know the ones with the second flip down dark visor inside the normal clear one.
oh and by the way if you havent seen one up close the clear visor is eu coded and the black one is clearly marked not for night use.
4 cyl = 2ltr , 2 cyl = 1ltr it's all relative.
Fester

visors

Post by Fester »

Hi Martin - so what is this 'new legislation' that tosspot Blair is going to introduce? Black (race) visors are illegal now, so how can they be made 'more illegal'? I don't quite follow 8O
fester
Martin

Post by Martin »

It was in MCN afew months back...can't remember exactly, but I think it will make it illegal to import dark visors, including personal imports. Whatever they mentioned it sounded like a right pain in the ar... I've got better things to do than worry about who's wearing a dark visor when I'm at work.
tiggerii

Post by tiggerii »

If you want an alternative to sunglasses or dark visors I can recommend the Sunax Sunshield.

Here's the Sunshield on my Shoei XR1000

Basically the visor makes a great eye shield without messing up the visibility, you can see the idea better on this image from Sunax's website:

I got my shield from M&P, only cost me £10. If you want more info then the Sunax website is -> http://www.sunax.de/
2000 Honda VTR1000 Firestorm - SOLD
2009 Triumph Tiger 1050 - from two cylinders to three!
Fester

visors

Post by Fester »

Well, I wouldn't pay much attention to what MCN say, after all each year they tell us the next VTR is going to be released, complete with 'artists impression' - all cobblers.

Anyway, black visors are legitimately used in bike (Car?) racing, so they can't ban them from that surely (although nothing this Govt would do would surprise me)
tim