Increasing front & rear suspension travel

Show off your bike, modifications or projects and share them with the world.
andy225

Increasing front & rear suspension travel

Post by andy225 »

test rode a VTR1000 today, absolutely loved the torquiness & power delivery of the engine, but unfortunately found the riding position a bit too sporty and suspension travel a bit limited for the state of the roasd where I live, potholes etc.. I didn't want to want to go to the extremes of a Valadero but loved the engine so much would be willing to make my own version of a speed triple streetfighter type bike. (somewhere beween a Valadero & a Firestorm).
Aside from the usual issues of changing bars etc, has anyone had any experience of increasing suspension travel, ie new forks, rear suspension unit. I would appreciate any advice. Cheers, Andy
2002 VTR1000 firestorm,yellow,blueflame race cans. :D
VTRDark

Re: Increasing front & rear suspension travel

Post by VTRDark »

Loads of info on the forum. Have a nose through the workshop knowlagebade. Front end you can either upgrade the springs or replace with an alternative front end like a Blade for example. Rear shock yet again either upgrade spring or the whole shock. Or you can put a 3- 6mm spacer in to give you better turn in. VFR bars can be put on or superbike bar conversions.

Loads of options really, too many for me to list. Search facility works pretty well or better still do a google site search. http://lmgtfy.com/?q=front+end+swap+sit ... 000.org%2F

(:-})
==============================Enter the Darkside
Wicky

Post by Wicky »

Coincidently earlier today I stumbled across this modded VTR which looks handy for our apocalyptic roads...

Though as Carl has said improve the front end with new aftermarket springs and a good service and replace the stock shock with something more adjustable and compliant.
It may be that your whole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

ImageVTR Firestorm and other bikes t-shirts
andy225

Post by andy225 »

Cheers,thanks for the advice,been having a good look around the internet,quite a bit of info out there,as well as this site the super hawk site is a useful to.Think I'll get myself a vtr and just slightly increase the bar height so no messing with longer cables ect.Then come next winter if not happy I'll consider doing some major work on it.Always wanted a vtr,but sports set up put me off,but after riding one and discovering the absolute peach of an engine(much more civilised and usable than the sv1000) I'm determined to persevere with it. :thumbup:
andy225

Post by andy225 »

just bought one yesterday,big smile on my face. :D
AMCQ46

Post by AMCQ46 »

Good choice :thumbup:
I just fitted ultra low street ars to mine over the winter. Bike feels great with that set up :thumbup:
AMcQ
andy225

Post by andy225 »

just changed the bars for some vfr 800 ones,easy conversion and well chuffed with the results,the higher bars make the bike much more comfortable,but retain a sporty look and feel...deffo recommend it. :thumbup: