fiberglass

Need advice on which oil to use or which tyre best suits you? Share your topic and get help here.
tattoo

fiberglass

Post by tattoo »

i want to make a solid fiberglass screen,i have a standard screen that i can use as a mould but how do i stop the fiberglass sticking to it...what can i use as a good release agent...i've been told i can wrap it in clingfilm or use wax...is this right???
Ckennedy

Re: fiberglass

Post by Ckennedy »

Cling film should work. Just get a women to tear it or youll be in a right mess :lol: :lol:
lloydie

Post by lloydie »

A good wax .
tattoo

Post by tattoo »

the reason i'm doing it is...i have a rear view camera kit with a 4.3in screen,the bubble on the screen i have fitted isn't deep enough to put the screen in so i want to make a deeper bubble..

the camera is the same size as the led round indicators i have

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/180938181426? ... 1438.l2649

these will be inset into the seat panel and i'm hoping they'll fit into the mirrors too

and i'm hoping to do the same with this

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/150938474469? ... 1438.l2649
Last edited by tattoo on Wed Apr 10, 2013 11:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
Ckennedy

Post by Ckennedy »

Now I must ask. Why are you fitting a reverse camera? not sure the bike goes backwards fast enough to warrant one. Unless of course it is blue or black :lol:
tattoo

Post by tattoo »

so i can loose the mirrors if they're not deep enough inside to take the indi's
agentpineapple

Post by agentpineapple »

i take it the picture will be reversed?
good luck, i'm interested to see if you can do it to a good standard.... :thumbup:
HEY YOU GUYS!!!!!!
tattoo

Post by tattoo »

if i remember correctly the kit a mates dad has fitted on his bmw is reversed,it's just like looking in the the rear view mirror so i'm hopefully this kit will be...i'll fire it up at the weekend and find out though...

i blame tony or benny for giving me this idea..it's been mulling around in my head for months now :lol:

luckily i know a man that builds fiberglass boat hulls so if i can't get it right i'll pull in a favour :thumbup:
Flatline

Post by Flatline »

I used silver foil for the mold of my Ducafe seat
tattoo

Post by tattoo »

i have a standard screen i can use as a base mould i just needed to know what to use as a barrier to stop the fiberglass sticking to it....did you get the bracket???
Gnarly

Post by Gnarly »

I buy most of my stuff from East Coast Fiberglass Supplies

Polish the screen with several coats of Carnuba wax

http://www.ecfibreglasssupplies.co.uk/p ... z-tin.aspx

Then wipe over with PVA mould release before your first coat of resin

http://www.ecfibreglasssupplies.co.uk/p ... agent.aspx

Something the shape of a screen should come out quite easily.
benny hedges

Post by benny hedges »

in the 70s my mam had some ridiculous green fibreglass curtains in the living room.
apparently they were all the rage....

a decade later i found them in the loft and used them to make a fibreglass seat unit.
i made a template on the bike with cardboard, bent and cut to shape, then covered it with the cloth stuff and brush painted the resin on.
it took ages to sand it smooth but it was solid :)

great stuff to work with :thumbup:
You do not have to say anything. But it may harm your defence if you do not mention when posting something which you later rely on in quote. Anything you do say may be ripped to sh*t.
seb421

Post by seb421 »

tattoo wrote:so i can loose the mirrors if they're not deep enough inside to take the indi's
Do you not still require a mirror for the mot regardless?

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2
ヨシムラ

MOT - 10/04/2015
TAX - 30/11/14
INSURANCE - MCE - Expires 12/04/2015 (Midnight)
ACCIDENT CALL - 0871 2227910
RAC - 0800 1977830 - 03_MCECAB90013033
NHSH

Post by NHSH »

seb421 wrote:
tattoo wrote:so i can loose the mirrors if they're not deep enough inside to take the indi's
Do you not still require a mirror for the mot regardless?

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2
I believe that applies everywhere, well maybe in exception of third world countries :roll: beside the reverse look that may give you the wrong side as right as left and left as right, unless it is true reverse view camera! How about some side view? You kinda loose that a bit without the mirrors, don't you?
Best thing, use your head and turn it when you need to look, don't trust neither mirrors or cameras.

As for the fiberglass, it will be easier just to either paint the existing screen or tape it with a flex sign material matching color so you can remove it when you decide to return to original.
You never see a motorcycle parked in front of a psychiatrists for psycho therapy. All I need is cycle therapy
tattoo

Post by tattoo »

you don't need mirrors for the mot...if i just remove the mirrors by the stalks leaving the base plate it will fail due to them being missing but if i remove everything and put bolts through the fairing it's fine.

if you have a track bike you want to ride on the road all you need is a working brakelight and rear reflector...as long as the bike doesn't have wiring and switches for any other lights like indi's,headlight...it'll get a daytime mot cert...you'd be suprised how many of these bikes are done each year...