Fuel in vacuum pipe

Need advice on which oil to use or which tyre best suits you? Share your topic and get help here.
Johnny Wishbone

Post by Johnny Wishbone »

The diaphragm just allows fuel to be fed from the tap once the engine is running. When the engine is shut off the diaphragm remains closed so no fuel can flow.

... how it should look???.... errr, that's a tough one. "Intact" I suppose :wink: :D
Out of my way or I'll eat the lot of ye!!
BigD

Post by BigD »

I know Johnny, bit of daft question 'how should it look?'. Anyway, diaphragm looks no different to Daz's on first inspection. Not sure whether to swap or not :roll:
yellafella

Post by yellafella »

As long as there are no split or serious wrinkles then should be okay alyhough after a while they may become porous. Apart from that ? :P
Johnny Wishbone

Yeah, as long as there are no splits or cracks in it it should be ok - perhaps it wasn't seated correctly you'll see that the outside of it is formed to created a seal, might not have been seated properly :roll: :?: :? Maybe run a smidge of grease around the outside before you put it back in. Check the surfaces that mate with it on the tap - how do they look??

Put the fuel tap back together (still off the tank of course!) and suck (easy Tony) on the diaphragm port on the tap - you should 'feel' the diaphragm opening and closing put you shouldn't be able to draw air through it.

....Now go and sit in a corner for the rest of the day feeling nauseous from the petrol vapor!! :wink: :D

If air is getting through then there's still something wrong. If the diaphragm seems fine and the mating surfaces are ok... well, I'm stumped... :? :?
BigD

Post by BigD »

Johnny, when you say diaphragm port, do u mean the vac hose port? I wondered whether it was 'seated' correctly and removing it and putting back together may do the trick. It may be physcological, but it did feel better last night, the garage doesn't smell of petrol as much when I open the door and (touch wood) the t-piece in the vac pipe is 'dry'. I'll keep an eye on it and see how I go.

By the way your picture is scaring me :evil: :evil: :evil:
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

BigD wrote
By the way your picture is scaring me

Yeah me too!
What was the matter with the old one, I liked that one!

Chris.
Johnny Wishbone

It was time for a change - I was afraid of being Stereotyped :wink: :D

How about that, I changed my signature to suit. 8O
BigD

Post by BigD »

Pleased to report bike is running the best it has since I got it. Not much popping from exhaust and everything feels a lot smoother, no jerkiness when you come off the throttle. I have changed the air filter though and this was mentioned by someone in a previous post, as worth doing even though the old one doesn't look that dirty.