superbike track day .. mods required ..

Need advice on which oil to use or which tyre best suits you? Share your topic and get help here.
Geordie

superbike track day .. mods required ..

Post by Geordie »

Hello folks.
Just booked myself and the vtr on a Niall MacKenzie track day at Knockhill in late April, just pre MOT and now thinking about some mods before I go, so I can get the best out of the day. Just looking for some advise / experience / dos / donts
Going to fit braided hoses - any good deals / best ones to fit, do I need rears aswell ? and replace with DOT 5 fluid.
Second rear tyre with an old tyre on it for the trip and round the track, as i have a new rear tyre the now for the road and dont want to waste it round the track. Front is on its way out anyway and will require replacing at MOT anyway .. Any thoughts ? (hmm old tyre has a chicken strip .. ! might not be best for track ..)
Crash protectors .. any ideas which are best .. cant believe how expensive some of these are .. ! I dont mind drilling another hole in the fairing as they will stay fitted once on. Does the vtr need front axle crash bobbins aswell ?
Should I take spare indicators or take mine off for track so if i do drop it they wont be wrecked for trip home ?
Some of you guys must have been through exact same ? I want to hear your stories .. ?
I've been round Knockhill lots of times in cars, but never had a bike on a track and Im really just wanting to use the event to up my confidence and knowledge on setting up the bike and getting closer to the grip limit safe in the knowledge that if i do come off i wont be wrapped round a tree or worse. Looking forward to it ..
Cheers for any input
George
agentpineapple

Re: superbike track day .. mods required ..

Post by agentpineapple »

heres a few things to think about buddy.....

take off indi's, mirrors, numberplate(you never know whose watching), tape over your speedo(looking at what speed your doing is distracting), tape your headlight aswell, some people tape there indicator button, so they can't accidentally ride around with an indicator on... :oops:
tyre pressures need to be lowered, and reinflated for the ride home.
what end cans have you got on, if there aftermarket loud cans, if you live not far from the track, take a ride down when another trackday is on and ask if they can do a noise level check...
HEY YOU GUYS!!!!!!
Geordie

Post by Geordie »

take some tape then .. ha !
bit worried about the noise level tests actually, as far as i know Knockhill doesnt do tests for noise .. ?!! however, the baffles in one of my mig concepts has disintegrated so i have one fixed baffled exhaust can and the other is fully open .. quite loud .. ! but did pass its mot last year like that and runs great .. Have read about folk sticking any old shite up the tube to quieten it on the day .. ! Yes better put some thought into that ..
cheers
BigVeeGrin

Post by BigVeeGrin »

Geordie wrote: Going to fit braided hoses - any good deals / best ones to fit, do I need rears aswell ?
general point on this I fitted Wezmoto ones off ebay and very pleased, saves a few quid as well for something else - the bloke used to work round the corner at Hel and some of the rubbers are marked Hel!!

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Wezmoto-Front ... 1e7784916f

have fun :thumbup:
bluestoesonnose

Post by bluestoesonnose »

If your worried about your brakes which I guess you are if your considering fitting braded hoses then give them a full service. Take them all apart and see what needs doing. I'd also replace the fork oil and flush the cooling system, ok it's Scotland and not that warm but your bike will be working harder than it does on the road.

Take a look and the chain and sprockets, if they are iffy then change them as everything will be working harder, you don't need a snapped chain and holed case to spoil you day and the day of others with oil on the track.

I found mirrors very useful on my first few track days, you will not be the fastest and it's best to know what's happening around you.

Remember that you'll much more grunt to play with than most others and you can exit corners at silly speeds by just sitting on the tourque curve. As for tyres you'll wipe the edges out, I fitted some cheap Pirelli tyres and took the edges off them in two track days (awesome).

Above all have fun and ride within your limits
popkat

Post by popkat »

Have good tyres in a fast road/track day compound, Pirelli diablo rooso2/michelin power1/type of things. lower tyre pressures to about 31 front/rear (lower if on sportsmarts)

Don't put DOT5 brake fluid in iirc it's synthetic and doesn't mix with DOT4, DOT5 is also more hydroscopic so will require changing more often. just flush through and fit fresh DOT4. Make sure your pads and calipers are in good nick.

As said remove your mirrors and indicators and tape up lights.
fit short crash blocks, long ones can dig in on the rumble strip if you come off and cause more damage than might be. think of them as frame savers.

Fit 1 tooth bigger rear sprocket if you've got enough forward adjustment on the chain, it'll perk it up a bit.

If your forks are all std then change oil for fresh 10wt and wind your preload in to around 1 line out, static sag check takes a few mins with a friend to help, you won't get 25mm more like 30 your just trying to get the best out the std forks. you could also drop the front down by 5mm.

3mm spacer under top shock mount will speed up steering..others will say 5 or 6mm but you don't wantto risk instability at Knockhill.

Set your rebound damping front and rear so it returns at the rate you can compress it (push down on it)

Other than all that HAVE FUN :thumbup:
http://www.bidefordmotorcycles.co.uk
2014 CRMC Post classic Superbike champion.
2014 CRMC Post classic senior production champion. On a Suzuki Katana 1100
My bikes, Firestorm, Suzuki GSX-s1000 Katana, VFR800Fi. Projects, 1986 popup Katana, 3 XJ600’s
Pete.L
Forum Health And Safety Officer

Post by Pete.L »

All good advise.
the only thing I would add is, do it sooner rather than later, except the incators and mirrors. Get used to any changes in handling and braking you've made so it doesn't feel all new and strange on the day. Also it will give you time to get rid of any gremlins before you go and stop you having to cut your trackday short if somethings not right.

Pete.l
My new ride is a bit of a Howler and I love to make her Squeal
Geordie

Post by Geordie »

ooft !! .. brilliant replies guys thanks, .. not got much time for too many heavy duty mods .. this is a road bike. I already have a 43 tooth rear sprocket I think, its 2 up from standard fitted it ages ago with speedo healer .. I will take tools for taking off indicators.. im sure the instructors will advise me on mirrors, but certainly would prefer them just in case I can avoid a bump, can always ignore them ;-) .. will do oil change for engine etc anyway, and not worried about brakes, they work fine, could just do with a stiffer lever but ill give them the once over. ive currently got double h brembo pads I think, hopefully do but might get something bit more track orientated .. do agree abound crash bungs some look a tad long but better than nothing at all .
as to suspension, well ive never felt any difference in handling from any of these mods folk talk about .. I have the standard shock so afaik its only adjustable for compression and again I've had the adjusters to all settings and I'm at a loss to feel any significant difference .. I will look at the front forks but really they need reworked as far too soft .. but I dunty think ill have time for too much of that .. if I'm hooked and decide to make it regular then I will prob get a cbr or sp front end, hence not wanting to blow money on minor upgrades the now, ...
but all advise greatfully received ill try work my way through them !!! ..
if I can leave the event on the bike for an uneventful trip home and still have a bike that will pass its mot the week after ill be chuffed .. and amazed actually !!! e
Chrish

Post by Chrish »

Plenty of good advice here, I have been on around 20 trouble free track days over past few years, had a couple of track teaching days with "Hoprider training" this is only for road bikes and is a track day for road riders no track bike heroes, I would recommend them very safe & secure place to do your first track day.

I have had track bike and a road bike I use on track, for what it's worth here is my check list

Before track day check
Oil, coolant, brake fluid, chain, tyres, brake pads, general once over levers etc 30 mins couple of days before
On the day check you have
Licence both parts
Money
Phone
A few tools just to tighten anything that might work loose with extra speed (always peeps their with full snap on set :lol: so you won't struggle)
Their will be tyre bloke their to help with pressure and someone to set up suspension it's up to you it normally costs £40 ish on the day

Don't know if your riding or trailering down if trailer double check you have all your gear, you won't believe how often peeps turn up and forget their helmets :lol:

For me personally I don't take anything off the bike, I do usually put sticker on the headlight or tape that's about it, I don't use mirrors (tend to turn them up, for me what's going on behind me is none of my business it's up to them feckers to be watching me so eyes front, I am watching in front of me and sorting it out not daydreaming looking at mirrors, only place I use mirrors is the Ring when some spotty 17 year old german in a 300bhp tyre R is up your chuff :lol: ) or speedo used to tape don't now not after looking at it towards the end of Park straight at Cadwell and thinking oooooooooohhhhhhhhh 125 mph nice FECK 8O where's that grass come from, you only do that once :lol:

kick back and enjoy ride at your pace pick it up as the day goes along if you can get in a garage with a few other lads they will all more than happy to help on the day

Gaffer tape & zip ties
BigVeeGrin

Post by BigVeeGrin »

Chrish -is it their Better Riding Day you did?
Chrish

Post by Chrish »

BigVeeGrin wrote:Chrish -is it their Better Riding Day you did?
Yes at Cadwell really enjoyed it, that's what got me into track days I was always nervous before that about booking.

It worked for me good group of lads well organised
Geordie

Post by Geordie »

Well what a fabulous day ! Didnt drop the bike .. Did give it a right.good hammering though and she never missed a beat .. Well impressed. Actually didn't get time and couldn't really settle on what crash bungs to fit so didn't have any :-\ .. Anyway, fitted braided hoses dot 5 fluid, new battery, and new dunlop roadsmart tyres. No other mods, took the indicators off and folded in the mirrors .. Did nothing to the suspension, have it third notch from max preload on the shock and 5 mm spacer front just adjusted to hard setting .. Went for a burn on saturday dry roads everything was good no strange noises or handling. So headed up today to the track and took it easy to begin with and towards the end of each session I was really caning it much more than ive ever done on the road .. The brake levers were solid no fade at all standing on its nose at the breaking points and was really impressed with dunlops, even though more a touring tyre felt like there was tonnes of grip dry track of.course which is a miracle for knockhill ! .. The limit really was my nerves I think, and could have gone faster maybe next time ! .. Have to say the bike did well, kept up with other bike third of its age and the grunt out the turns was very handy in getting the speed on quicker .. And the popping and howl on the overrun was glorious ! .. Also have to say what a cracking team they have at Knockhill, great event .. Was chatting to John McGuiness at lunch about tt nw200 etc, spot on bloke .. They would if asked follow you round then you follow them then pit to discuss improving your lines, braking etc .. All good, just what I was after ..
So definitely doing it again sometime, met good group of guys inc storm trooper !! Hope you enjoyed it as much as me didn't get to blether before I left, catch you again, your bike is immaculate !!
Cheers for reading .. Im off to bed totally knackered! Hopefully some pics to follow.
bluestoesonnose

Post by bluestoesonnose »

And another addict is born. Glad you had a great time I bet you wake up aching!
Storm Trooper

Post by Storm Trooper »

Geordie,

Was really good to meet you. Had an absolute brilliant day. :thumbup: Can't really recommend it enough as you get soo much track time. Everybody was very helpful and yes it's a chance to rag the sh*t out of the bike when I would never actually run it that hard normally. Both Storms on the day ran a treat and definately sounded the business out on the track. Dennis Hobbs, Nial MacKenzie and John McGuinness were very approachable and getting Dennis Hobbs feedback on the last session was brilliant. It is brilliant being on the track as you can really push more than you ever really can on the road, but there is still that element of reservation as it after all your main road bike and for me my pride and joy, so no daft stuff and pushing beyond the limits, as the consequences are not worth considering in scrap metal terms. (although a couple of unfortunate people yesterday, thankfully they were ok) Tyres were very good (Conti Road Attacks) 32psi in Rear and 30psi in front and provided superb feedback. Definately looking at purchasing the same next year and maybe even get one or two other track events in the rest of this year.

End of 3rd session my reserve light came on so pulled in pits and filled with 8 litres (1.76gal) and the light came back on 35 miles later. 19.8mpg!!!!! :eek2
Keep Her Lit !
Flatline

Post by Flatline »

You could always take the bike in a Van