SP1 Project

General Biker Banter
bluestoesonnose

SP1 Project

Post by bluestoesonnose »

Got a chance at a SP1 "project" not going into the why's and wherefores but its in several large lumps (it was dropped and the owner was going to do it, blah, blah blah) so I'm guessing there is a fair amount of small stuff missing. Thinking it could be a (very) long term project. Worth doing, as are they good to ride or do I hold out for a SP2?

Cheers
Blues
Pete.L
Forum Health And Safety Officer

Re: SP1 Project

Post by Pete.L »

Sounds interesting! :thumbup:
A lot would depend on the money if you ask me. The SP2 is basically the same with a few updates to suspension and fueling. The SP2 normally cost a couple of grand more but with a power commander and some suspension fetling on the SP1 it'll be just as good in the real world.
There are still plenty of spares for both so finishing the project shouldn't be a problem. Personally I don't think you would be disappointed either way. Do you go for the Koodos of rebuilding the bike yourself or pay roughly £3.5 K as a starting price for a SP2. :think:
:D up to you :D

Pete.l
My new ride is a bit of a Howler and I love to make her Squeal
bluestoesonnose

Hi Pete,
Thanks for that, not an issue building the bike I've done a few now, just more of a case of if it's worth it. If it's a Storm with bigger balls then yes I think I'll like it lots. If the issues are fuelling and suspension then that can be over come, but I would like to try it in the rough first.

We'll see how we go, it's been few years since it was dropped and taken apart so it going in with eyes wide open...
benny hedges

Post by benny hedges »

bluestoesonnose wrote:Got a chance at a SP1 "project" not going into the why's and wherefores but its in several large lumps (it was dropped and the owner was going to do it, blah, blah blah) so I'm guessing there is a fair amount of small stuff missing. Thinking it could be a (very) long term project. Worth doing, as are they good to ride or do I hold out for a SP2?

Cheers
Blues
sp1 = great bike but the sp2 is worlds apart. ive had both.
wish id kept the sp1 as well but hey ho.

tbh when i got it, after riding my storm, i was like yeh.... and :roll:
wasnt really a great deal of difference from my storm apart from being heavier - but then i have done a lot of work on it.

took a while to get used to it and set it up for my style of riding then i started riding it how it was meant to be ridden and yes, they are good. very very good!

but when i got the 2 it was fooookinell!!!! 8O instantly impressed.

totally different bike. the power, and power delivery is totally different, much tighter handling, better brakes and suspension - the forks and swing arm are a lot chunkier and the rear shock is totally different.

on the fuelling - the airbox, filters, throttle bodies and injectors are improved, but will retrofit into the sp1 (if you can find any!)

from a purist point of view, the sp1 is the one to get... if youre buying one to look at.
but if youre buying one to ride, the sp2 is the better bike hands down, no contest.
You do not have to say anything. But it may harm your defence if you do not mention when posting something which you later rely on in quote. Anything you do say may be ripped to sh*t.
VTRDark

Post by VTRDark »

wasnt really a great deal of difference from my storm apart from being heavier
Now that surprises me. I would have thought the SP would be lighter considering it's a race bike. 8O

(:-})
==============================Enter the Darkside
Pete.L
Forum Health And Safety Officer

Post by Pete.L »

cybercarl wrote:
wasnt really a great deal of difference from my storm apart from being heavier
Now that surprises me. I would have thought the SP would be lighter considering it's a race bike. 8O

(:-})
There's not much difference in it really. Mostly due to a gert big lump of a V-twin engine :thumbup: Then there is a lot more swingarm and a much beefier frame to handle the extra power and give it better handling. The wheels are lighter to speed up direction changes but it still has nearly an extra 30kgs of lard to carry compaired to todays latest superbikes.
And that's not even including me :D

Pete.l
My new ride is a bit of a Howler and I love to make her Squeal
bluestoesonnose

Thanks, sounds like a nice long term project if we can agree a price...